KR KT150RK (Riccardo Kron)

Finally in the zenith of cold winter months in Europe, time has come to warm up the living room with some new toys and this time, no more and no less, in the form of the limited edition of KT150 tube, which was so far only available from TungSol.
Tubes are specially made by KR for LampizatOr and are within the physical limits of regular KT150 and of course within the tech spec of the TungSol ones which makes the rolling possible. Tube proudly cares the name of Riccardo Kron (RK) and it comes with all the perks from the rest of the RK series (300b, 242, PX4, 5u4g) meaning Zirconium coating, triple thickness glass, 9th degree of vacuum, etc.
I just received the quad so in the upcoming days/weeks I pronounce the winter tube rolling olympic games open...
IMG_8343.jpg IMG_8344.jpg IMG_8346.jpg

As he is not very loquacious, he did not comment at length. Just said that it gave probably even more body to the sound. I must say that 3100+6000 are really a musical combo.
For my part, it's probably end game in that section. Next step will be Pacific + LDMS. Further on it will be a second pair of speakers when system will be moved to a larger room on first floor. Why not AlsyVox… :)

It’s a little off topic but could you please explain sonic differences between KT120 and KT 150 in Zanden 6000?

Last edited:
It’s a little off topic but could you please explain sonic differences between KT120 and KT 150 in Zanden 6000?
Difficult to say because when I had the KT120, the 3100+6000 drove a pair of Voxativ. A good friend and neighbor who knows some top notch systems said it was one of the most beautiful, clean, tight bass he ever heard. Now when I mounted the KT150, the bass was probably more extended, laying more ground for the medium (the forte of the Voxativ) to shine. But briefly after that I've sold the Voxativ to a lucky Dutch and received the Animas only last January. So my impression is from 3100+6000+Voxativ almost a year ago and current system where I did not retro-mounted the KT120 so far to compare them with their bigger sisters.

Very, very, very good next move...;)
Regarding the KR Audio, discussed topic with the best hi-end seller here who use them since years. Apart sonic qualities, he says KR are built sturdily with components that obviously give them a much longer lifespan : some KR (and EML) like the 300 B's are good up to 40 000 hours and beyond still testing strong.

Regarding the KR Audio, discussed topic with the best hi-end seller here who use them since years. Apart sonic qualities, he says KR are built sturdily with components that obviously give them a much longer lifespan : some KR (and EML) like the 300 B's are good up to 40 000 hours and beyond still testing strong.
Can't say about those 40k hours especially in terms of using them as output tubes in Lampi as used there probably they'll outlive us as such - super under stressed regime of work. But RK versions are really built like tanks.

For my part, it's probably end game in that section. Next step will be Pacific + LDMS. Further on it will be a second pair of speakers when system will be moved to a larger room on first floor. Why not AlsyVox… :)
Yes, why not. Here’s one happy owner from HK I think. ;)
2203B679-00B8-4264-80DB-036F0F68ABDE.jpeg

Reactions: kantx
You also introduced me to apogees, recommended me to go listen to analysis, and Tom's tannoys. It is a pity you don't run your own apogee and Lampi properly though
I briefly owned a pair of Westminster, bought from a disgraceful and dishonest Dutch reseller W & W Audio). Didn’t like the reseller and the Westminster, dull piece of furniture to my ears.

I briefly owned a pair of Westminster, bought from a disgraceful and dishonest Dutch reseller W & W Audio). Didn’t like the reseller and the Westminster, dull piece of furniture to my ears.

I have not heard Westminster properlybut what did you drive them with? Also there is a big difference between modern and vintage tannoys, though the brief experience I had with Westminster was promising, though requires high power

I have not heard Westminster properlybut what did you drive them with? Also there is a big difference between modern and vintage tannoys, though the brief experience I had with Westminster was promising, though requires high power
Zanden 6000. Stellar with Voxativ or Anima. Totally boring with the Tannoys.

And what about the Avant Garde Trios ? Some say they're too clinical and unnatural. Are they worth it ?

And what about the Avant Garde Trios ? Some say they're too clinical and unnatural. Are they worth it ?

They have very good bass and dynamics, it is not about being clinical, it is that their mids/high tone can be bettered. It depends on how anal an audiophile you are, they can be your final speaker or you might find the tone requirement to be different. All the main commercial full range horns are very different from each other. You should hear the trios though

Valve perceptions in amps and Lampi are very different

You mean the mids/high are shouty ?

Shoutiness can be tamed. They are very good speakers, you really need to listen to them because if you like them or not is going to be very personal. Their dynamics, attack, bass is excellent. Now they come with optional DSP. Some people don't mind that, so it's advantage, for some it is a no go. But it is optional if it is a no go.

To better trios commercially, you can only have a different preference. For example, Anima has a particular tone and attack style, but not the same bass as trios though for many that is sufficient.. Same with universum, it has very different mids and highs from both Anima and trio, at the cost of trios bass. It is difficult to say here which suits you better. You will have to listen to all.

Reactions: kantx
Shoutiness can be tamed. They are very good speakers, you really need to listen to them because if you like them or not is going to be very personal. Their dynamics, attack, bass is excellent. Now they come with optional DSP. Some people don't mind that, so it's advantage, for some it is a no go. But it is optional if it is a no go.

To better trios commercially, you can only have a different preference. For example, Anima has a particular tone and attack style, but not the same bass as trios though for many that is sufficient.. Same with universum, it has very different mids and highs from both Anima and trio, at the cost of trios bass. It is difficult to say here which suits you better. You will have to listen to all.
Maybe a second system in second room with Trios would be the only solution. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing