KR Audio 45

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You guys are full of jokes.

I am current enjoying the Psvane UK design300b with the RCA Jan 1944 5r4gy recti.

In all seriousness - what is your fave recti Norman?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
+1.

Rudolf, great to hear that the Elrog's are working for you. are you using the Takatsuki 274b as the recti?

Hello Mike, the Takatsuki 274b recti is still on my 'audio shopping list'. Too busy (i) at work and (ii) with the Tidal LA set up lately. But I will surely surely give it a try, hopely in the near future. However, first of all I am going to make serious work of my power distribution,

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
So far the metal base GZ34 and the RCA. I havce to restest the Haltron double micas too, to be certain. I have about 12 rectis.

What about the Brimar 5Z4GY? Have you tried that one?

I know I can rely on your recommandation. :p

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Depends on the factory according to rolling guru, shawn fox.
The footscray factory is great for Brimar and STC, but the Oldway Brimar is reportedly ordinary.

Look for the FE designation and not the FB.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hello Mike, the Takatsuki 274b recti is still on my 'audio shopping list'. Too busy (i) at work and (ii) with the Tidal LA set up lately. But I will surely surely give it a try, hopely in the near future. However, first of all I am going to make serious work of my power distribution,

A cheap alternative is a pre 1946 world war 2 era RCA/JAN 5r4gy with the double upsloping getters. Less than $100 on Ebay. Claimed rival to vintage WE 274b.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Champagne budget says Elrog to Takat 274b as current rollers darling...apart from full WE vintage 300b/274b setup.

Cognac budget is the mesh 45 globes or KR242 with rectis like the vintage metal base GZ34 or Kr274.

Beer budget is UK design 300b, eml 45 mesh, KR 45,KR px4, etc with JAN ww2 5r4gy, Brimar 5Z4, Haltron double Mica 5r4gy...i think I may have forgotten one more...

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Champagne budget says Elrog to Takat 274b as current rollers darling...apart from full WE vintage 300b/274b setup.

Cognac budget is the mesh 45 globes or KR242 with rectis like the vintage metal base GZ34 or Kr274.

Beer budget is UK design 300b, eml 45 mesh, KR 45,KR px4, etc with JAN ww2 5r4gy, Brimar 5Z4, Haltron double Mica 5r4gy...i think I may have forgotten one more...

Well I suppose upfront you never know for sure which of the mentioned beveridges - champagne, cognac or beer - will suit your taste in the best way, right?

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
A cheap alternative is a pre 1946 world war 2 era RCA/JAN 5r4gy with the double upsloping getters. Less than $100 on Ebay. Claimed rival to vintage WE 274b.

Thanks. Have you heard this tube yourself, Norman?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Well I suppose upfront you never know for sure which of the mentioned beveridges - champagne, cognac or bear - will suit your taste in the best way, right?

True, though its hard to go too far wrong with Elrog/Takat...no matter what!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What do you think of it?

I was going to go for them, then I read a dissenting review.

I was thinking of some Chatham 5R4WGY's next as they look cool LOL.

You can waste serious money flipping all these tube options. I'm always rolling TBH and don't really stay with any particular tube for any extended period of time.

However, I virtually never select the Philco 45, or the EH 2A3.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

You can waste serious money flipping all these tube options. I'm always rolling TBH and don't really stay with any particular tube for any extended period of time.

Ah interesting. I suppose I am not really a tube roller: so far I have only inserted the Elrog 300b tubes. So happy with those that I have not yet tried Lukasz mesh tubes nor a pair of Takatsuki 300b tubes that I specially bought for the GG dac.

But as mentioned before I want to try the Takatsuki recti somewhere in the future.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

I have the Chatam 5r4..dont like them too much, but those submarine tubes do look cool. LoL

Rudolf, the Jan 1944 5r4 is my joint favourite with the Philips metal base GZ34. From memory the Haltrons double mica are next and then the Brimar 5Z4 and the Mazda 5r4...but I need to retest.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Ah interesting. I suppose I am not really a tube roller: so far I have only inserted the Elrog 300b tubes. So happy with those that I have not yet tried Lukasz mesh tubes nor a pair of Takatsuki 300b tubes that I specially bought for the GG dac.

But as mentioned before I want to try the Takatsuki recti somewhere in the future.

Well I know you have the Gold Lion 300b that we tested for 10 minutes and nixxed (may have been unfair as they were cold), but how could you NOT test Takat 300Bs that you have in your possession????

The EML Lampi mesh 45 Globes are "da bomb".

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks. Have you heard this tube yourself, Norman?

this is the recti I was using with the Elrogs prior to getting the Takatsuki. the Tak lowered the noise floor and added nuance and authority to the Elrog's over the RCA.

and i'll add that the Elrog-Takatsuki combo made me stop rolling tubes or even thinking about it. I had been agonizing over whether I should buy this or that WE 300b/274b for months. I had bid on a few of them but never won an auction. then I heard this combo and figured why worry about it? I just like the ease, transparency and authority and the all-around listenability of this 'marriage'. I have a drawer full of tubes I had acquired while I had that 'sickness' that Norman infected me with.;)

the Elrog-Tak combo seemed to resemble my vinyl front end balance in many ways and that was my target reference.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Well I know you have the Gold Lion 300b that we tested for 10 minutes and nixxed (may have been unfair as they were cold), but how could you NOT test Takat 300Bs that you have in your possession????

The EML Lampi mesh 45 Globes are "da bomb".

Well Norman, probably I am just a very lazy audiophile.

But all kidding aside, I have the following reasons for not (yet) testing the Takatsuki 300b tubes in my GG dac:
1. I really like what the Elrog 300b tubes are doing.
2. Although they have been completely reliable so far in my set up, we both know that the reliability track record of the Elrog 300b tubes in general and also in combination with the GG is not good at all. According to Lukasz the Elrog is the only 300b that ever failed on the GG. Swapping them make the chances of a break down higher. See what happened with Al's Elrog 300b tubes: they were functioning well before these tubes were being swapped and now they are 'dead'.
3. Still making serious progress with my Tidal set up. It is hard work but I am getting nearer and nearer to finalize it (although there are still three important issues that need to be resolved; see one of my earlier remarks in the Tidal La Assoluta thread). Only after the Tidal LA set up is more or less finalized/stabilized, I will be able to hear the real quality of all the different tubes.

Hopefully this makes sense.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
this is the recti I was using with the Elrogs prior to getting the Takatsuki. the Tak lowered the noise floor and added nuance and authority to the Elrog's over the RCA.

and i'll add that the Elrog-Takatsuki combo made me stop rolling tubes or even thinking about it. I had been agonizing over whether I should buy this or that WE 300b/274b for months. I had bid on a few of them but never won an auction. then I heard this combo and figured why worry about it? I just like the ease, transparency and authority and the all-around listenability of this 'marriage'. I have a drawer full of tubes I had acquired while I had that 'sickness' that Norman infected me with.;)

the Elrog-Tak combo seemed to resemble my vinyl front end balance in many ways and that was my target reference.
LoL

My bad!

Who can fault you for going straight for the Champagne solution?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing