KR 242, Elrog 300, px4, px25, EML and KR 5u4g, and KR 274b

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hello Wisnon, Sorry for delay I've been at work ( and already spent too much time talking here!) but as far as the split USB I actually DO USE both tails...I am using the power leg too. I initially did a quick try of data alone but it didn't seem to want to lock on so I rigged the power through anothr USB port and it worked right away... and sounded great. Haven't messd with it since....

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have all the tubes posted here.
Reg recti I did mention for all to try a solid state recti any brand it will be a discussion starter.
The tak and we 274B are very close and have staging unlike any other tube I ever tried
In my woo WA5 I have tried a pair as recti a real must have in that amp.
Now the tak 300 B is an odd duck for me. It does sound nice not a real Heavy 300 sound a more refined but weighted 45
It has one odd mid sound I have not had time to figure out. For now I can say it's not silky but it is fluid a real sound not hard or soft its music for sure. It does have an odd presentation with speakers. With headphones it's very good a better bet than the elrogs
Someone please try a solid state recti it's very nice
It's clearly the best bass detail you will find

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
One more thought mute kron 5u4g has the lowest noise other than a solid state recti for me it's one of four top contenders
Where the we and tak on top for staging
After that the kron and solid star each have there kind of improvement

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Thanks Al,

And how about the soundstage with the SS rectifier?

I have one in my hands right now to try (very inexpensive BTW).

Best,

Roch

I have all the tubes posted here.
Reg recti I did mention for all to try a solid state recti any brand it will be a discussion starter.
The tak and we 274B are very close and have staging unlike any other tube I ever tried
In my woo WA5 I have tried a pair as recti a real must have in that amp.
Now the tak 300 B is an odd duck for me. It does sound nice not a real Heavy 300 sound a more refined but weighted 45
It has one odd mid sound I have not had time to figure out. For now I can say it's not silky but it is fluid a real sound not hard or soft its music for sure. It does have an odd presentation with speakers. With headphones it's very good a better bet than the elrogs
Someone please try a solid state recti it's very nice
It's clearly the best bass detail you will find

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It has sound stage but not as much as the two top recti does. But after you try it there is a few big improvements that warrant the loss of some staging. And yes at 15 usd or so it's much better than burning up recti while not devoting to full time listening.
Keep
In mind recti go at full tilt just sitting in the dac on. The outputs tubes will last for years

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Well, my Taka recti went to tube heaven two weeks ago. The day it died they were some people servicing the AC in my listening room. They were far away from the music gear rack and they swore the didn't touch anything, but you know, curiosity killed the cat...

I have new one from Woo Audio in the US, the other from Japan (Price Japan), but, I bought also two SS recti.

Roch

It has sound stage but not as much as the two top recti does. But after you try it there is a few big improvements that warrant the loss of some staging. And yes at 15 usd or so it's much better than burning up recti while not devoting to full time listening.
Keep
In mind recti go at full tilt just sitting in the dac on. The outputs tubes will last for years

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Keep

Interesting, at least in the guitar amp world, rectifiers last significantly longer than output tubes. Same with the pair of 300B amps I had, much longer life span than the 300Bs, are they used differently in this instance?

Innocent question, thanks!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A lampi uses the tecti much harder than a output. Output tubes for a lampi are used at some 25 % of there values
This allows for a much longer run run time.
Others may know more on life then me

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Interesting, at least in the guitar amp world, rectifiers last significantly longer than output tubes. Same with the pair of 300B amps I had, much longer life span than the 300Bs, are they used differently in this instance?

Innocent question, thanks!

In the Lampi, the DHTs are run in preamp mode, so very easy use....not the case with the rec

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hello Wisnon, Sorry for delay I've been at work ( and already spent too much time talking here!) but as far as the split USB I actually DO USE both tails...I am using the power leg too. I initially did a quick try of data alone but it didn't seem to want to lock on so I rigged the power through anothr USB port and it worked right away... and sounded great. Haven't messd with it since....

Thanks.

Did you manage to check your Dac's output level in millivolts?

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
After 12 hours listening under SS recti I'm surprised, natural sound, excellent tone and rhythm, extraordinary tight bass and accurate midrange, without high frequency ringing. I have no complains regarding soundstage. Under extraordinary recorded classic music maybe is a lack of bloom, for those of us that loves "tube sound", but is a matter of taste.

My SS rectifier, from TubeDepot, is about US$10, now I ordered some WS1 Copper Cap at US$18 from Weber Speakers.

Roch

Keep

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Reg recti I did mention for all to try a solid state recti any brand it will be a discussion starter. (...)

Apologies for my ignorance in these Lampizator matters - what is exactly a solid state recti? A vintage selenium rectifier? A rectifier diode with a series resistor? None of them? :confused:

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
SS rectis are basically rectifier diodes, tube rectis are tube diodes. Both converting AC to DC.

Here is an, maybe, interesting reading:

http://www.soldano.com/amp-help/tube-vs-solid-state-rectifiers/

ART sa amp I own have discrete regulation, meaning no ICs, but resistors, caps, diodes, etc. But no tubes for that.

As the reading says at the end, if you like or want to preserve the esencial SQ of the unit, and was designed with tube rectifiers, please stay that way.

I like to add that maybe for us, tube lovers, that like some kind of muddy bass from tube regulators, are a must. At the end, like everything, is a matter of taste. Also important is the interaction between all the components in your music gear, from signal to your ears, who is the final judge. And the experiment is very cheap to try.

Roch

PS/ Thanks Alrainbow to share this tip!

Apologies for my ignorance in these Lampizator matters - what is exactly a solid state recti? A vintage selenium rectifier? A rectifier diode with a series resistor? None of them? :confused:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
A SS diode with tube pinouts for insertion into the tube socket of the Lampi.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Yes what they are saying is, if there is no power from the USB cable it reduces noise to the dac, as the dac handles the power itself.

Bill did say it was very audible

As a follow up to earlier discussions about the SQ benefits of dropping the voltage line from the USB cable, I have been playing around over the festive period with some further ideas to reduce noise and have achieved some very satisfying results. The overall level of further improvement is already akin to losing the power line, with similar types of change to lower noise / better tonal structure / less grain. This has been achieved without any impairment to operational stability / funny noises between tracks, which can arise when disconnecting the ground and shielding connections. I need to test some final tweaks to try achieve a 50% overall uptick, however this revision will start shipping next month and upgrades are available to existing owners. Ed (Eurodriver) will be coordinating the migration within the SGM community.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thanks in advance for trying new tweeks. It's another reason why I love lampi as it's committed community just keeps improving things for us all.

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hello Wisnon / all, Sorry for the delay..I had my original paperwork in storage and all I can find that might answer your question is the original / final inspection report [for my B7]that lists "Absolute Maximum Signal Volume (-20db)" as 478/482 mV. If that helps or?

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Grant. Thanx.

No in Switzerland....not NYC.
I have seen thst even 700mv works with the KR242 tubes.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
As a follow up to earlier discussions about the SQ benefits of dropping the voltage line from the USB cable, I have been playing around over the festive period with some further ideas to reduce noise and have achieved some very satisfying results. The overall level of further improvement is already akin to losing the power line, with similar types of change to lower noise / better tonal structure / less grain. This has been achieved without any impairment to operational stability / funny noises between tracks, which can arise when disconnecting the ground and shielding connections. I need to test some final tweaks to try achieve a 50% overall uptick, however this revision will start shipping next month and upgrades are available to existing owners. Ed (Eurodriver) will be coordinating the migration within the SGM community.

As an early adopter of Mark's data only cable, which did indeed provide a serious uptick in sound quality as expressed by myself and others in previous posts, I received one of the first revised cables that Mark spent his Christmas testing.

My comments to him posted under another thread here, #59
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7293-USB-Cable-Shootout/page6

For whatever reason, this latest version just magnifies all the SQ increases achieved when moving to the data only cable and somehow the synergy with my system is phenomenal. I joked with Mark that it wasn't possible to achieve +50%, now he's proven it is and more so.

Ed, you're going to love this one.

Blue58

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015

As an early adopter of Mark's data only cable, which did indeed provide a serious uptick in sound quality as expressed by myself and others in previous posts, I received one of the first revised cables that Mark spent his Christmas testing.

My comments to him posted under another thread here, #59
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7293-USB-Cable-Shootout/page6

For whatever reason, this latest version just magnifies all the SQ increases achieved when moving to the data only cable and somehow the synergy with my system is phenomenal. I joked with Mark that it wasn't possible to achieve +50%, now he's proven it is and more so.

Ed, you're going to love this one.

Blue58

Awesome stuff :cool: Please keep us updated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing