KR 242, Elrog 300, px4, px25, EML and KR 5u4g, and KR 274b

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Audiocrack and Mark

How long does it take until your GG sounds at it's best?
And also, how long is the burn-in time until a new GG settles?

I wouldn't dare to leave my tube gear on, when I'm not at home.
A KR Audio T100 tube turned red hot, while we were listening and we jumped across the room to switch the amp off. I don't want to find out, what would have happened, if we didn't immediately turn off the amp...

So, unattended tube gear is out of the question for me.
I don't want to burn my house down, with all those treasures in it.

Cheers,
Christoph

I never let my tube amps play when nobody is at home. But the 'stressfactor' for tubes in the GG is very low. In my - very revealing - Tidal La Assoluta system I need at least 4-5 hours before things are starting to sound really nice. Also my Kondo amps need a couple of hours; even after 4-5 hours the Kondo amps still make, albeit little, steps.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I never let my tube amps play when nobody is at home. But the 'stressfactor' for tubes in the GG is very low. In my - very revealing - Tidal La Assoluta system I need at least 4-5 hours before things are starting to sound really nice. Also my Kondo amps need a couple of hours; even after 4-5 hours the Kondo amps still make, albeit little, steps.

+1

Christoph,

There is a lot electric / gas appliances that can got fire in a home, but now I understand your fear...

I saw some tubes failure in my lengthy audiophile life with all the consequences, some cap and associated resistor damaged but not provoking a real fire in my home.

Anyway, since stress is killer number one on this days here is a wise reading:

https://www.spacedoc.com/articles/s...ampaign=July+2016+Newsletter&utm_medium=email

Then Christoph, please follow your instinct / rules !

Roch

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hello Ked, and all; I've been following much of the Lampi related threads here for awhile and wanted to chime in again with a few of my own recent experiences. After your visit here Ked, I could not get the sound of those KR 242's out of my mind. When I had first told you my Big 7 was equipped with an EML Mesh 5u4G and a pair of Sophia 300B Carbons you said you would bring your own DHT's [the 242's] when you visited. With the 242's installed my system was 'Gushing' with vibrancy, dynamics, bass extension I've never known, and a soundstage with such presence I remember we were both looking at each other in almost stunned disbelief.

Well it has taken me a while, and I have added a few noteworthy tweaks in the interim *, but I finally purchased my very own pair of brand new KR 242's [thank you Lukasz!].
And they ARE Stunning! I'll say it again: Stunning.

I read everyone's opinions and experiences with the PX4 and PX25 and I was truly tempted to choose either of them but that memory of that day just couldn't be shaken. I checked with Lukasz and asked his thoughts on it. I told him what I remembered from that [barely 3-4 hour listening session] and how we were both so blown away... and he reminded me how personal opinions and experiences may abound but if hearing it in one's own system can truly prove a unique synergy... then there is NO better deciding factor...and so "I knew what I must do". As of this writing they've been ON for 26 hours...My listening was done with barely 2 hours' warm-up.

I'm giving them another day or two then 'going back in' [to the listening room!] and will undoubtedly be pinching myself again in disbelief.
FYI over these past few months the added noteworthy tweaks* have included an upgrade to the Apprentice Series of Sistrum platforms (I had the earlier model of it) for both my B7 and my TRL Dude pre-amp; a Synergistic Research Black series fuse for the B7; a "split" USB cable (power in one leg/signal in the other) made by my good friend "Triode Pete" at Triode Wire Labs; a 16" ASC Full round Tube Trap (in addition to the 2 @ 11" already there); and last but certainly not least my new Lampi Komputer feeding the B7 with lots of well recorded music selections....

So, I'll leave it on this note...system synergy...No matter what you've got, experiment, listen, try some more... and enjoy the journey.
Always open for comments, questions or suggestions. Thank you all for contributing to this informative and entertaining site. & Happy Lissn'n!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow great to hear. With a big 7 the 242 is a no brainer

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hi Ked, Thanks a lot for all your advice. Just a footnote though: when I mentioned my latest updates I guess I should have worded the last item differently : the Lampi Komputer is in fact the same one I had when you visited, it was just SO new at the time ( only weeks old) it was still new to me THEN. Sorry for the confusion, although I did rearrange my rack and added additional isolation for it to minimize vibrations.. and the new USB cables have enhanced it so much ... it really sounds " new again". Thanks.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Ked, Thanks a lot for all your advice. Just a footnote though: when I mentioned my latest updates I guess I should have worded the last item differently : the Lampi Komputer is in fact the same one I had when you visited, it was just SO new at the time ( only weeks old) it was still new to me THEN. Sorry for the confusion, although I did rearrange my rack and added additional isolation for it to minimize vibrations.. and the new USB cables have enhanced it so much ... it really sounds " new again". Thanks.

Grant, I see that you are using the split cable unpowered...that is what people now recommend! Could U please look at your Dac spec sheet and tell us what is the max Dac output in millivolts?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just got my pair of Elrog 300Bs for my Lampizator Big 7. I was using Takatsuki 300Bs which I like a lot more than my vintage WE 275a.

Impressions to follow.

IMG_1209.JPG

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Sweet! Aside from my new enthusiasm for the 242's I am still a 300B fan. I hear such great things about the Tak's and the Elrogs.. would love to hear both.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sweet! Aside from my new enthusiasm for the 242's I am still a 300B fan. I hear such great things about the Tak's and the Elrogs.. would love to hear both.

I've been enjoying the Elrogs and Tak on my GG for almost a year now, and when my GG returns from upgrades (dsd512, superclocks, PCM RTR, firmware) in Poland in a week or so it will have an extra switch to allow me to use my KR242's too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Great. I'm pretty confident you're probably going to love it. Mention it to Lukasz ... he'll surely agree I bet.

I did ask Lukasz about how I could use my KR242's and he agreed to install the switch. he is the one doing the install right now (along with all the other upgrades). I should have it back next week.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I've been enjoying the Elrogs and Tak on my GG for almost a year now, and when my GG returns from upgrades (dsd512, superclocks, PCM RTR, firmware) in Poland in a week or so it will have an extra switch to allow me to use my KR242's too.

Mike, which set do you enjoy more, the Elrogs or the Taks?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, which set do you enjoy more, the Elrogs or the Taks?

I've been using the Elrog 300b driver tubes with the Takatsuki 274b rectifier tube for the last year. I love the combo. I've not heard the Tak 300b's.

however; Bonzo did bring his 'special' Lampi 45's to my room and I have to admit it does more overall, if slightly different. the Elrogs are more lush.

and then there is my KR242's which I will finally be able to try on the GG next week.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I was using the WE 275As and a Tak 274b in my Big 7 and felt it was lacking. So, I started to roll rectifiers and have settled in the 596 for now. Well, I then rolled in the Tak 300Bs and it was an ear opener. The Taks are so much more detailed than the WEs and not fatiguing at all. It almost felt like a veil was lifted.

I am curious if the Elrogs will get me to the same place.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Elrogs between 5 out of 5 people here were judged to be the most forgettable across 3 system demos.

The 242 either doesn't work (distorts, sounds hard), or is 21st above anything else.

The next 3 are close. The special Lampi 45s are the best tonally and in many other ways, lose out a bit on tuttis to the PXs.

The Px25 is usually the next best followed by Px4. The KR and Elrog 300b are far behind.

I myself bought them off khonfused (who got rid of them soon after buying them), and I sold them off. Luckily they are in demand on 300b amps so they sell off quick.

The music auditioned across systems covered jazz, orchestral, vocals, rock. They are good on certain instruments by spot lighting them, but have consistently across systems and people who compared, between voted down less. I just don't think any 300b will be as well suited on Lampi as other options that we have.

I accept that Mike and AC have better systems than the ones where we carried out the compares, but should they choose to compare, I think they will end up with the same hierarchy.

Thing is previously we owned the 101d replicas and the Elrog had better tone than that benchmark.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I know I am late to the party but is there a reason why the Tak 300s were not included? Practical purposes?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know I am late to the party but is there a reason why the Tak 300s were not included? Practical purposes?

We didn't have them. I will do a 300b shootout once but frankly I am not spending on a 300b on Lampi, don't care how good a 300b it is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing