Kharma Exquisite Electronics

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I love acronyms like "VAT" which stands for Value Added Tax. There is no such thing as a VAT for consumers. No consumer ever thinks, "Man, I'm sure glad I paid that extra tax. It really means a lot to me. It added value to my life." It's only a VAT for the country that is imposing the tax.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes mep ....but i will not touch politics on WBF , lets just say brussels needs money and more and more :D....more ... when there is none left , you can then lift the consumer tax from 19 % to 21 % which they did last year
Say what??

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I love acronyms like "VAT" which stands for Value Added Tax. There is no such thing as a VAT for consumers. No consumer ever thinks, "Man, I'm sure glad I paid that extra tax. It really means a lot to me. It added value to my life." It's only a VAT for the country that is imposing the tax.

The reason it is called VAT is not to placate consumers. It is because only the "Value Added" component in the production chain is taxed. So if I buy $100 worth of component and assemble the pieces and sell the product for $150, I pay tax only on the $50 value added component. This is where the name comes from.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I live in a world of acronyms and lots of them are nonsensical. That is why I find "VAT" to be sort of funny. The world of Continuous Improvement (CI) is all about eliminating things that cost money and add no value from the customer's perspective. Calling a tax "VAT" that a customer must pay is pretty hilarious in that light.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The reason it is called VAT is not to placate consumers. It is because only the "Value Added" component in the production chain is taxed. So if I buy $100 worth of component and assemble the pieces and sell the product for $150, I pay tax only on the $50 value added component. This is where the name comes from.

If that is true, then why is the VAT so high?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In holland its a consumertax , if its someway business related to you its taxdeductable( you get the tax back ) , in my opinion politicians always come up with expensive formal names to put reason to their money hunger , it only exists since 1969 .

Mep i reckon in 50 years time it will be 21 % in the US , they always need more tax:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
In holland its a consumertax , if its someway business related to you its taxdeductable( you get the tax back ) , in my opinion politicians always come up with expensive formal names to put reason to their money hunger , it only exists since 1969 .

Mep i reckon in 50 years time it will be 21 % in the US , they always need more tax:D

I guess the key here is "somewhat business related." Maybe you guys have some loose interpretation of that meaning and you can buy audio gear for yourself and say it's business related. As for the U.S., I would never expect my taxes to go down unless I was rich (and of course I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination or definition).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The words Value Added in VAT have a completely different meaning. It is related to the fact that it is an incremental tax that follows the value of the goods along all its phases until it reaches the consumer and the way it is collected. It is not a simple mechanism - see Wikipedia you if want details. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax
There are several tax values depending on type of goods - e.g. some food and some services have reduced rates. Other services, such as health and education for example are exempt of VAT in EC.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It is true that you have to pay the VAT tax in the EU (23% in Poland) but on the other hand - such a things like the education (including higher education) and health care is free of charge. Can't have everything I guess.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Regarding health care and education , it was virtually free in holland , but under pressure of the EU(around 10 /12 years ago ) everything had to privitize and you what happens if you put those things in business hands , its totally stripped down and 3 times more expensive , thank you brussels

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Regarding health care and education , it was virtually free in holland , but under pressure of the EU(around 10 /12 years ago ) everything had to privitize and you what happens if you put those things in business hands , its totally stripped down and 3 times more expensive , thank you brussels

There is a subtle difference between "publicly funded" and "free". Not saying privitization was a good idea, but it was never "free" to begin with of course.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I usually don't chime in on these kinds of topics but.......you pay a 21% sales tax and what? 50% personal income tax and you think you're getting healthcare and education free?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No off course not, we pay for it orselves in the end , i was merely comparing to canada for example , which has still a good system .
i ll stop polluting the kharma electronics thread .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Déjà vu

Apr 2, 2013
Switzerland
Felicitations! Is that a power conditioner? What did you compare it to? Thanks for any comparison or comments about the sound quality!

Merci!;)

These pics were taken at the Kharma's distributor who had just received this new product (see below). Actually, no possible comparison, sorry!

Enigma+Extreme+Signature+++KHARMA.htm_20120402060023.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Deja Vu,

Very interesting indeed. Looks like Isoclean or Walker...'looks' does not mean anything here...but i have heard good things about Kharma build quality. Did you hear the system with and without this at the dealer?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing