JCAT USB XE or Pink Faun Ultra OCXO?

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Hi guys
I currently have the JCAT Femto but it’s time for an upgrade. Has anyone compared these two? Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks onsionsi. I ordered the XE a couple of weeks ago, there’s a 3 week delivery time but I’ll report back when I get it and run in.

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
I had both USB cards in the system for a while to compare.

Pink Faun on the left, JCAT on the right. Both were powered externally by the JCAT OPTIMO 3 DUO with 5V power.

Pink Faun makes a lot of impression. Here is the picture with the "middle" OXCO clock attached.

Some electrolytic capacitors can be seen and there is only one USB port.

Here is JCAT with the Emerald Oxco Clock.

The heat sink is pretty powerful.

In comparison, Pink Faun turned out to be demanding. Many services are switched off in my optimized Windows 10 Pro system. Pink Faun didn't like that. JCAT, on the other hand, ran immediately without having to reactivate services.

In terms of sound, Pink Faun had a fuller basic tone for me, while JCAT resolved very detailed and offered very good transients. I didn't feel the differences very much, however. Both cards play at a very high level.

In my system I preferred JCAT. This card seems more modern and I also liked the quality of workmanship best. The difference to the predecessor JCAT Femto is extreme. JCAT USB XE plays a lot better!

Reactions: sbo6 and crion

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
The PinkFaun with ultraOCXO clock is better than the PinkFaun with their regular OCXO clock.
Both cards are really good. It's a matter of personal preference at that level.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Just a quick update.....
I received the JCAT XE a couple of days ago. Right off the bat it is stunning. A very large improvement over the standard JCAT card that I’ve had for c.5 years, which in itself was a massive step up from the built in souncard.
I dropped Marcin a quick PM to offer my congrats and he (somewhat proudly) told me that it gets continually better for up to 250 hours. I’ll go into more detail in a few weeks after 200 hours or so, but as it stands, it’s already a stunning piece of kit...well done Marcin and team!!!!

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Just a quick update.....
I received the JCAT XE a couple of days ago. Right off the bat it is stunning. A very large improvement over the standard JCAT card that I’ve had for c.5 years, which in itself was a massive step up from the built in souncard.
I dropped Marcin a quick PM to offer my congrats and he (somewhat proudly) told me that it gets continually better for up to 250 hours. I’ll go into more detail in a few weeks after 200 hours or so, but as it stands, it’s already a stunning piece of kit...well done Marcin and team!!!!
Thank you Tim :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have both Jcat XE and Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB cards.

In my system Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card is a step up from Jcat XE (as it should be, given the price delta).

Both cards can be further improved by using Jcat Optimo Nano, LT3045 based inline voltage regulator, which does some incredible things.

Reactions: Marcin_gps

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
The PinkFaun with ultraOCXO clock is better than the PinkFaun with their regular OCXO clock.
I just upgraded to the ultra, and the difference is not trivial (on the I2S bridge)! (the bridge thrives with a great PSU)

grom64

Jan 19, 2016
To date, JCAT XE is the best?!

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
To date, JCAT XE is the best?!
I read this;

In my system Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card is a step up from Jcat XE (as it should be, given the price delta).

How do you arrive at your conclusion/question?

grom64

Jan 19, 2016
Excuse me, how can I use it without a PCIe slot?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Excuse me, how can I use it without a PCIe slot?
you cannot...you MAY be able to use either card in a M.2 to PCIe adapter (riser), but do check with the manufacturer first.

grom64

Jan 19, 2016
We take the PCIe USB output card as the basis and ....? Where to insert Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
huh, you use either one, the PF also needs a PCie slot, although that ultra OCXO makes it a thick card that needs some space.

grom64

Jan 19, 2016
Thank you MarcelNL

Reactions: MarcelNL

Nicktube

Dec 14, 2021
huh, you use either one, the PF also needs a PCie slot, although that ultra OCXO makes it a thick card that needs some space.
I’m quite new to audio pc’s. I thinking to buy the PF spdif/ Aes ebu bridge with Ultra clock. But after reading your commend I’m not sure if it is worth the price difference. Can you explain perhaps the difference in more depth?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I’m quite new to audio pc’s. I thinking to buy the PF spdif/ Aes ebu bridge with Ultra clock. But after reading your commend I’m not sure if it is worth the price difference. Can you explain perhaps the difference in more depth?
the difference is real enough and important enough, you get crisper dynamics, lower noise, more 'colors' in your music. It's sure worth the price tag, PROVIDED that your gear is capable of allowing you to hear its merits.

not trivial means that the difference is not small ;-)

Reactions: Nicktube

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing