I've been reading lots in the magazines about the J. Sikora tables - any actual owners here who care to share their thoughts?

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Hi Don
As far as I can tell there are no special needs, I suppose mainly due to the actual weight of both Standard Max and Reference. They both sit on standard tables without any additional treatment. Wooden floor in both rooms, laid directly on concrete.
Thank you so much for your reply. That is good to know!

In my case, I have what I believe people refer to as suspended hard wood floors in my music room - due to the fact that we have a full open basement below my music room and the hardwood floors are laid on a subfloor supported by rafters and joists, etc. This can cause a flex in the floor when walking or from energy vibrations from the traffic outside or from the music coming from my speakers, etc. A person generally does not necessarily feel the floor flex underneath them, but it some way it does and then those vibrations can find their way up through your equipment stand into your turntable/cartridge/arm.

To combat those unwanted external vibrations, I have my turntable placed on a wall-mounted platform that is lag bolted into a load bearing wall of my music room. My wife and I can quite literally jump up and down, dancing in front of my turntable and the stylus does not skip a beat :D
Sadly though, I don't think my wall mount would support the weight of either the Standard Max or the Reference Line turntable.

I think that in your case, having the wooden floors laid directly on concrete - you probably have a much more solid foundation that may eliminate any flex or external vibrations.

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: MJG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing