Is there hope of bridging the subjectivist/objectivist rift?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is a thread on audiogon that really caught my attention - and jazdoc you may want to elaborate... But boy, does it really portray how and black and white we audiophiles hear and perceive things... But in the end, is it really different than, say, perception of visual art, or other material things that appeal to us???

Emphases are mine

Jazdoc,
Albert, I'll take the bait...I don't own an A90, so no dog in this (impending) fight. I have heard it in numerous systems, and while not my absolute favorite cartridge, I still consider it excellent. Is this simply a matter of taste or does it do something that truly bothers you?​
The Ortofon A90 does not do anything "wrong" in the sense of distortion, mistrack or anything like that. It's just a soul less, bland, flat and uninvolving cartridge without much dynamic contrast and lacking low bass output.

In one test here it was on a $7000.00 German made tonearm and with half a dozen listeners in the room we alternated between that and a SME 312S fitted with a Shure V15Vxmr.

All but one person preferred the Shure and it's a $300.00 moving magnet design. Actually the sound of the two are in many ways similar, it would be interesting if others did the test and reported back. We did this test a year or two back and everyone involved sold off their Ortofon.

There was a couple of cartridges that were worse, the ZYX Omega and Universe.

These test does not conclude that you would agree, it's just my and my group finding and an honest response. Likely I (we) have different taste than what others might be looking for.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Of course, the objectivists simply need to surrender unconditionally.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Is there really anybody on this planet that is really not a combination of both?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
for many reasons that is a bad quote to use as evidence of anything other than different people have different views on musical truth. in other words, sometimes 2 different people listening to the same thing at the same time can assign different values to what they hear.

this is not a subjective/objective question. it's a personal musical compass question. what do you view as the ideal?

i find that the listeners i most interact with are those who, while maybe not having exactly the same musical compass as me, generally agree with interpreting what we hear similarly......we may assign different values to the same things.

if i go into a room and there are radically different views on fundamental interpretations of what is doing what......then there is a disconnect somewhere.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
this is not a subjective/objective question. it's a personal musical compass question. what do you view as the ideal?

i find that the listeners i most interact with are those who, while maybe not having exactly the same musical compass as me, generally agree with interpreting what we hear similarly......we may assign different values to the same things.

I believe the most important thing is develop a sense of what constitutes your unique inner musical compass. It's important to be open to what others prefer, because you are likely to learn something.

Mike and I listen together frequently. Indeed, we had a variation of this discussion during our most recent session. We've spent enough time together that we know each others preferences; Mike leans toward a slightly more detailed and I prefer slightly more tonal saturation. Every time I visit his magnificent room it takes me a few minutes to re-orient; his system does certain things much better than mine, especially handling 'big' pieces like orchestral works, Led Zeppelin and the like. I always enjoy my time at Mike's and frequently add to my database for future considerations in my own system.

Back to the original post. I have my feet in both camps. IMO, measurements are there to guide you, but your ears and inner preferences are the ultimate decision making tools. For example, I wouldn't try and match an 85 db efficient speaker with a SET amp. Measurements are certainly important for manufacturers to test design goals and for quality assurance. Measurements can provide insights into why something may or may not sound good. But measurements meet the proverbial road when subjected to the actual listening experience.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Doc-Is "tonal saturation" code for saying you prefer the sound of tubes to SS?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Or is this a topic in search of an audience? It seems that only the measurement people care because they feel that God has put them on earth to save us poor misguided fools from ourselves. Did we ask for their help? You know, it's a hobby and as a nurse friends used to say, "if it's not code blue, it's not that important."

Does, however, anyone but 2% of high-end audio people really care? They're not technogeeks--or maybe that's because most of my audio buddies are analog people. All they want to do is have fun--something that has been sadly lost from the hobby. All the people I know care about is does that component or system sound good. They go to a concert a week and certainly know what music sounds like! All they want is their system to sound like the concerts they go to.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Doc-Is "tonal saturation" code for saying you prefer the sound of tubes to SS?

Not necessarily. I have a good friend who has an all SS system that certainly has terrific tonal density. That said; this particular aspect of reproduction plays to the strengths of tubes. The best tube and SS systems have both detail and tonal saturation.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
An objectivist with a phono cartridge? Seriously? :)

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
There is a thread on audiogon that really caught my attention - and jazdoc you may want to elaborate... But boy, does it really portray how and black and white we audiophiles hear and perceive things... But in the end, is it really different than, say, perception of visual art, or other material things that appeal to us???

Emphases are mine

I am afraid there is no hope ack, I surrender many moons ago :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A subjectivist with a VTF scale accurate to a 100th of a gram? Really? :)

Jack,
I hope you are not referring to a digital scale! :)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Is there really anybody on this planet that is really not a combination of both?

Thats the way I look at is as well. You need a little of both to be balanced and have a handle on things.

Robh:)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
- Stuart Chase

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This thread reminded of the Stereophile article about Subjectivists and Objectivists from April 1992 "Across The Great Divide" by Barry Willis. The combatants change but the arguments don't. Here are a few highlights:

"The vociferousness with which this issue is being argued is unjustifiable. Neither side has a case which ultimately can be proved or disproved. Both positions consist of strongly held opinions backed by statistical and anecdotal evidence, both have elements of truth, and both are seriously flawed. As in most disputes, fanatics on both sides take themselves far too seriously....

The time has come to stop the vicious and unreasonable ridicule of colleagues with whom we do not agree. Rancor and hysteria have no place in the quest for scientific knowledge, or in the pursuit of the elusive musical truth. This internecine dispute serves only to distract us from that great passion which unites us: the love of music."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing