Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
IMO this article is rather insightful. There‘s a trend at present where the younger generation is listening more to the music of another generation rather than to their own. Why is there such a trend? Is the music of yesteryear better than newer music? Why are cultures still Influenced so much by older music, and not as much by newer music?

It states, “Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking. … The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams.“

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
IMO this article is rather insightful. There‘s a trend at present where the younger generation is listening more to the music of another generation rather than to their own. Why is there such a trend? Is the music of yesteryear better than newer music? Why are cultures still Influenced so much by older music, and not as much by newer music?

It states, “Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking. … The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams.“
Not surprising if you are talking about recent popular music - as a genre it sucks:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Not surprising if you are talking about recent popular music - as a genre it sucks:

While I am always looking for new music I don't find a lot that I like. Most of my music purchases involve filling in gaps in my collection of old jazz, blues, R&B, and soundtracks.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Popular music's not really a genre I don't think, but that's beside the point. :)

My favorite music is mostly un-popular music. It's there where you find creativity,
innovation and soul. There is so much great music being produced today, yesterday, 50 years ago, 100 years ago... In every genre: Jazz, Classical, Folk, Rock and all their infinite permutations. This is one of the great gifts of the internet -- the ease of finding so much great new and less known music.

Yes, most "popular" music is manufactured trash.

picears

Feb 4, 2022

[/URL]
Hah! That Smithsonian Mag article is already 10 years old. Some 18 year old today probably thinks 2012 qualifies as "old music".

I'll offer up another conjecture: marketing.

Put simply, turning humans into mindless consumers through the use of triggers (words, sounds, images) combined with the conglomeration of music owners (how many record labels have big corps swallowed up in the past 30 years?) into global entities, and new music consumption is now turning into something akin to dental floss buying at Walmart: 10 feet of shelves but all the same product.

Additional factor: huge online libraries (e.g., Youtube) available for free now lets young people try out music on a whim. And the one thing with fashion, including music fashion, is that once a person is satiated with what they've been listening for a period of time they want to try something new. And the free libraries let them occupy their time, and since there is only 24 hours in a day, the time for listening/buying new music decreases.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing