Is matched and balanced tubes generally an hoax?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sellers usually match tubes at a determined but unspecified point of operation. Most probably this point of operation is different from that of your equipment, and there will be some unequal drift of the parameters due to this alteration.

I match my tubes exactly at the same Ia and Va of the circuit where they will be used.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Matching for some vendors suggests physical matching...not electrical, necessarily. Frequently, I'll specify bogey values, e.g., Gm=2600 umhos, Ia=9.0 mA, for 6SN7's.

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
No matter how well "balanced" tubes are when they arrive, paralleled output tubes often become "unbalanced" over time and, I am told, the difference is audible.

I have too many tubes - if there is such a thing - right now. In the past, I relied a lot on a small seller of used tubes in the US, whom I trusted a great deal for his collection and his honesty in both testing and replacing defective tubes. He often sent me free tubes that tested "low". They did and they sounded fine. The biggest problems i had were always with current production output tubes, mainly JJ and PSVANE. Fortunately, the inexpensive output tubes made by Shuguang, both triodes and pentodes, are reliable and quite good sounding for my needs.

In the long-run, getting over obsessive-compulsive behavior with regard to tubes has greatly improved my enjoyment of music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..ironic that the OP starts a toobers thread and his handle is "pnp"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing