Iphone is easily overloaded

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I was making some Iphone recordings today that sounded great in the room but the peaks on the recording were quite harsh. The levels were not quiet but also not ear bleeding loud. The recordings were fairly dynamic though (well recorded Jazz trumpet) and the blats from the horns, which sounded clean and realistic in person, were overly sharp and harsh on the Iphone recoridng. I will try to record them again at a lower volume setting to see if it is really the level overloading the Iphone or if it is inherent in the probably crappy opamp they used in it. One piece of evidence that is (mainly) the level is that quiet parts come through ok as did recordings that were done at lower levels. The really dynamic ones though came out disappointing so I will have to try again.

I will be starting a thread for people to share trumpet recordings (Jazz, Classical...whatever).

I think the Iphone can make ok recordings but the level is crucial as it is not adjustable (I thought it was autogain but there are limits I guess).

I will also make some recordings with my Lumix camera running my TASCAM into it (I will have to reduce the rez to cd quality or they will be gigabytes).

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bass does the same, Brad.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I was making some Iphone recordings today that sounded great in the room but the peaks on the recording were quite harsh. The levels were not quiet but also not ear bleeding loud. The recordings were fairly dynamic though (well recorded Jazz trumpet) and the blats from the horns, which sounded clean and realistic in person, were overly sharp and harsh on the Iphone recoridng. I will try to record them again at a lower volume setting to see if it is really the level overloading the Iphone or if it is inherent in the probably crappy opamp they used in it. One piece of evidence that is (mainly) the level is that quiet parts come through ok as did recordings that were done at lower levels. The really dynamic ones though came out disappointing so I will have to try again.

I will be starting a thread for people to share trumpet recordings (Jazz, Classical...whatever).

I think the Iphone can make ok recordings but the level is crucial as it is not adjustable (I thought it was autogain but there are limits I guess).

I will also make some recordings with my Lumix camera running my TASCAM into it (I will have to reduce the rez to cd quality or they will be gigabytes).

Actually, with a little practice I think the iPhones do fairly outstanding job even with the built-in mic - all within reason of course. But I think you'd get more mileage if you opted for an inexpensive aftermarket stereo mic that also provides an app for adjusting gain, etc.

But you hit on perhaps the most difficult aspect IMO which is, high enough in-room volume levels so at least a fraction of the gestalt / dynamics are captured without mic overload. It's a fine line but it can be done. Especially with an aftermarket mic and app. And once you become familiar with the fine line, then you can let 'er rip a bit.

But if you fail to capture even a hint of the overall gestalt, it probably is not a recording worth listening to. In which case, an occasional mic overload is worth the sacrifice.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
When i listen video i do with iphone when sound is more dynamic and loud on peak,listening on iphone that peak is compressed and volume go little down,only in the peak and then back normal

Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Actually, with a little practice I think the iPhones do fairly outstanding job even with the built-in mic - all within reason of course. But I think you'd get more mileage if you opted for an inexpensive aftermarket stereo mic that also provides an app for adjusting gain, etc.

But you hit on perhaps the most difficult aspect IMO which is, high enough in-room volume levels so at least a fraction of the gestalt / dynamics are captured without mic overload. It's a fine line but it can be done. Especially with an aftermarket mic and app. And once you become familiar with the fine line, then you can let 'er rip a bit.

But if you fail to capture even a hint of the overall gestalt, it probably is not a recording worth listening to. In which case, an occasional mic overload is worth the sacrifice.

Yes, too low and it sounds flat and boring and too much background noise. The problem with too loud is that when it overloads it sounds quite harsh and you can just imagine the comments about how crap your system is when you post it! :rolleyes:

What's interesting (and something I have noted making more serious live recordings in the past) is that it doesn't take a big orchestra piece to cause the overload. I was recording my system playback with violin/piano duos and Jazz ensembles that were both well recorded and dynamic.

I have good tools to make nice recordings but they are audio only at the moment and therefore not postable on the web (they would be huge anyway with high rez) for others to easily hear. There I can have full control (my TASCAM DR-100MkIII has good built-in condenser mics and options to plug in (including phantom power) better mics.) of the level and overload issues.

I would not take any large work recorded on an Iphone that seriously but small ensemble, with careful balance of the peak levels, could still be good.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Yes, too low and it sounds flat and boring and too much background noise. The problem with too loud is that when it overloads it sounds quite harsh and you can just imagine the comments about how crap your system is when you post it! :rolleyes:

What's interesting (and something I have noted making more serious live recordings in the past) is that it doesn't take a big orchestra piece to cause the overload. I was recording my system playback with violin/piano duos and Jazz ensembles that were both well recorded and dynamic.

I have good tools to make nice recordings but they are audio only at the moment and therefore not postable on the web (they would be huge anyway with high rez) for others to easily hear. There I can have full control (my TASCAM DR-100MkIII has good built-in condenser mics and options to plug in (including phantom power) better mics.) of the level and overload issues.

I would not take any large work recorded on an Iphone that seriously but small ensemble, with careful balance of the peak levels, could still be good.

I can't agree. Crank it up.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here is an example where at 34 seconds it overloads as the rest of the group comes in

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
THis one is mostly ok, although through the recording the trumpet has more "bite" when played loud than when in person, which indicates it is probably overloading a bit. One thing is clear, the recordings don't have a lot of compression on them compared to most.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This one is a different recording (Chet Baker...the other two were Dizzy Gillespie) and it stays within bounds...

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Some Miles

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I thought that the microphones in iPhones were designed, by nature, to limit and compress the incoming signal. It's how they can offer a signal to noise ratio that raises a person's conversational voice above the background noise during a phone call - like a phone should do. Am I wrong about this?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I thought that the microphones in iPhones were designed, by nature, to limit and compress the incoming signal. It's how they can offer a signal to noise ratio that raises a person's conversational voice above the background noise during a phone call - like a phone should do. Am I wrong about this?

You are talking about talking on the phone vs. recording a video with the phone...I doubt they operate the same way...but I don't really know for sure.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I use software this allows for a much better recording. but a pro setup far exceeds any phone and some here show it

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
That any mobile phone with a .08c microphone can make a decent recording is pretty spectacular and a real feather in the cap of the designers...but the same basic quality issues are present in recording as in playback. We also have 'pretty darn good' playback from little bluetooth speakers. But they are far from great.

Case in point: mic preamps are very similar to phono preamps in requirements. We all know what it takes to do that one aspect well, not to say best.

Reactions: morricab

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Who setup is this. Sounds damn good to me lol. even at very fast transients it’s clean
great sound.

That would be mine and thanks.

BTW, I perceive tho art a highly perceptive gent. :)

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020

I’ve tried a few times to record with my iPhone.. I currently have the iPhone 12 and made a few attempts at recording with mixed results. Received some tips from helpful WBF members which helped.
Im surprised it can sound as good as it does considering it’s design and intended use. Some of these horn systems really shine and are playing quite loud during recording..
Here is one @bonzo75 posted that I listened to a hundred times on my main system. The bass from these horns are amazing And are captured really well. It also shows the weakness in the Bass horns as the air ramps up slowly, seems unnatural and lethargic But oh so smooth sounding.. A great way to experience the system thousands of miles away in spite of any shortcomings..
anybody know which recording this is.. ? Would love to compare the bass..

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing