Introducing the LampizatOr Poseidon DAC

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
The Poseidon does indeed look lovely. But, like Apple, the problem for Lampi is that their older classic DACs are still so great that convincing old geezers like me to upgrade is a challenge. I still use an Apple iPhone XS Max. Sure , iPhone 15 is out, and the titanium looks slick. But my iPhone XS Max still works great. Yea, USB-C is nice, but I’ve got lightning connectors by the closetful.

Similarly, I continue to be delighted by my “vintage” Pacific “pure” DAC sans volume control, just as I want it. With premium KR 242 tubes and a Western Electric 274B rectifier feeding into an ARC 6SE balanced tube preamp, the sound is ravishing. And I’ve got a lot of lovely DHT triodes, from Western Electric 300Bs to Emission Labs 45 mesh plates to lovely old RCA UX301s that Goran put me onto. Why would I want to “upgrade”? Seriously, do I want to start another whole bout of tube rolling with pentodes and give up my KR 242s and 300Bs and 45s? The very thought is frightening.

That’s what happens when you design a classic. Customers who like the classic model are loath to upgrade. If I like a naturally aspirated six cylinder BMW 3-series, would I want to trade it in for a more recent turbo version or, heavens, an EV version? Or if I like a classic vintage Porsche, I’m happy to continue driving it.

I’m sure the Poseidon sounds fabulous, just as the Horizon does. Knowing Lampi’s standards, I would expect nothing less. But we vintage lovers like what we have now. I’m still waiting for a “pure” no holds barred DHT DAC from Lampi. Like when Leica reissued their legendary film camera. Don’t mess with a classic. The Pacific is a classic.
I drove a manual BMW 535i for 27 years and always preferred it to a limited edition AMG my family guilted me into buying. As much as I am charmed by the reviews and opinions of the Poseidon, and I am convinced the Poseidon is by far a better DAC than my GG1, in my closed off and narrow thinking mind I don't want to believe it could surpass the magic of DHT's. My pre-amp is an Allnic L8000 that runs 4 DHT's like the GG1.

The DHT's really hit the sweet spot for me.

Reactions: Blake

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I drove a manual BMW 535i for 27 years and always preferred it to a limited edition AMG my family guilted me into buying. As much as I am charmed by the reviews and opinions of the Poseidon, and I am convinced the Poseidon is by far a better DAC than my GG1, in my closed off and narrow thinking mind I don't want to believe it could surpass the magic of DHT's. My pre-amp is an Allnic L8000 that runs 4 DHT's like the GG1.

I concur on the BMW. Drove a 325 with 5 speed for many, many years. My current X3 is a soulless appliance in comparison. I also had a GG1. There was a bit of unit variability back then so can’t really comment with certainty on yours, but the GG2 then Pacific were much better than my GG1, while retaining the DHT sound. I considered my Allnic L9000 to be a good pairing with the Pacific. Below you can see what I have today. I don’t think I’ve lost anything from where I was. Note the 300b SET for the DHT flavor.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Pretty sure I'm going to be interested in hearing the Poseidon, but I'm using a "lowly" Atlantic 3 TRP as opposed to any of the models using DHTs.

Are any of these in the wild yet, or are they all still demo product for the shows?

Reactions: Pokey77

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010

My VW Golf is manual and my 911 is PDK. I’m in the VW most days….full disclosure, I did trade my GG2 for a Horizon.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Pokey77

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
GG2 paints in quite broad brush strokes but are laden with the emotion of the music. The Horizon paints with a far finer brush, so the closer you look, the more detail you find. From 10 paces away you get the same emotional engagement, but each time you take a step closer you realise how much more detail there is to be discovered, to the point at which you're a few inches away, you realise the incredible skill of the artist and how much you were missing 10 yards away (if you get the analogy).

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
GG2 paints in quite broad brush strokes but are laden with the emotion of the music. The Horizon paints with a far finer brush, so the closer you look, the more detail you find. From 10 paces away you get the same emotional engagement, but each time you take a step closer you realise how much more detail there is to be discovered, to the point at which you're a few inches away, you realise the incredible skill of the artist and how much you were missing 10 yards away (if you get the analogy).
Bang - spot on...

Reactions: Bohemian and heihei

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Can you elaborate on the sonic differences?
With the Horizon all of the positive attributes of GG2 remained, but the details buried in the music were much easier to hear and almost overwhelming. Good recordings, bad recordings , streaming, rippped CD’s Hi Rez etc….everything had new details and nuances that I never heard. I kept thinking that all ot of my music had been remastered (in a good way).

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
To me, this is always the dividing line between high end solid state DACs and romantic tube DACs. I own a variety of DACs, from the romantic lush sounding Pacific Lampi to the clear-as-spring-water Mola Mola Makua DAC+preamp+phono stage to the ultra-transparent-yet-almost-clinical Chord Blu2/DAC. By carefully matching the components, I can get musical satisfaction out of all of them, hence I keep them all. To me, if you want detail, there‘s absolutely no touching a top class solid state DACs, which give you oodles of resolution, but without careful system matching, poor recordings can sound too clinical. I imagine Horizon does give you a taste of high end solid state DACs with a touch of romanticism from its use of tubes. We forget how much the overall system defines what you hear and enjoy. I just set up an all ARC/Quad system in my dining room for late night jazz enjoyment, and now that the weather is getting cooler in the Bay Area, it’s time to bring out the big beast — the massive ARC Ref 210 tube monoblock amplifiers with their huge 8 KT120 output tubes that can produce nearly 250 tube watts per channel. This beast runs warm, almost 400 watts per channel idle, so you need the weather to be cool enough to run this monster. But, boy, does it sound absolutely divine. To match it, I am using the ARC Ref 3 preamp (last of William Zane Johnson’s original designs, all the newer ARCs are just copies and variants), and the ARC Ref CD8 player. Playing into a Quad 2805, it just sounds so easy on the ears that you want to listen through the night. But, this is a music lover’s system, not an audiophile system. You get the gestalt of the music, the absolutely creamy midrange of the Quad 2805, and the sheer crossoverless transparency of Walker’s original delay line speaker that still sets the standard for reproduction. The Ref 210s allow playback at high levels without any change in the harmonic structure. But, it’s not going to be a dynamics demon the way a Klipsch La Scala or a large Wilson will sound like. But those are not phase coherent, and their crossovers etc. are quite noticeable in listening. In a nutshell, it‘s all about the system, not necessarily the individual components alone that make a system sing.

IMG_0274.jpeg IMG_0273.jpeg IMG_0272.jpeg

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
To me, this is always the dividing line between high end solid state DACs and romantic tube DACs. I own a variety of DACs, from the romantic lush sounding Pacific Lampi to the clear-as-spring-water Mola Mola Makua DAC+preamp+phono stage to the ultra-transparent-yet-almost-clinical Chord Blu2/DAC. By carefully matching the components, I can get musical satisfaction out of all of them, hence I keep them all. To me, if you want detail, there‘s absolutely no touching a top class solid state DACs, which give you oodles of resolution, but without careful system matching, poor recordings can sound too clinical. I imagine Horizon does give you a taste of high end solid state DACs with a touch of romanticism from its use of tubes. We forget how much the overall system defines what you hear and enjoy. I just set up an all ARC/Quad system in my dining room for late night jazz enjoyment, and now that the weather is getting cooler in the Bay Area, it’s time to bring out the big beast — the massive ARC Ref 210 tube monoblock amplifiers with their huge 8 KT120 output tubes that can produce nearly 250 tube watts per channel. This beast runs warm, almost 400 watts per channel idle, so you need the weather to be cool enough to run this monster. But, boy, does it sound absolutely divine. To match it, I am using the ARC Ref 3 preamp (last of William Zane Johnson’s original designs, all the newer ARCs are just copies and variants), and the ARC Ref CD8 player. Playing into a Quad 2805, it just sounds so easy on the ears that you want to listen through the night. But, this is a music lover’s system, not an audiophile system. You get the gestalt of the music, the absolutely creamy midrange of the Quad 2805, and the sheer crossoverless transparency of Walker’s original delay line speaker that still sets the standard for reproduction. The Ref 210s allow playback at high levels without any change in the harmonic structure. But, it’s not going to be a dynamics demon the way a Klipsch La Scala or a large Wilson will sound like. But those are not phase coherent, and their crossovers etc. are quite noticeable in listening. In a nutshell, it‘s all about the system, not necessarily the individual components alone that make a system sing.

View attachment 120781 View attachment 120782 View attachment 120783
true, I aquired new speakers Horning Agalme, these and newly aquired Pacific just changed the game completely, with Agalme I believe I do not need more details they are just incredibly detailed and perfectly balanced as well, meaning that everything i? the picture is in the right proportion, highs, midrange, lows just as the music calls for ....I wonder how Horizon would perform in my system......so yes when switch speakers to Tannoy Westminsters it is like a night and day in the same setup.....and the tube rolling is making huge impact as well, for instance my new Psvane Acme 274b(musical without being romantic) sounds incredible with Pacific compare to Philco 5u4G(cold and sterile like poor tranzistor system)

Reactions: cdka

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’ve just had a crazy idea:) What if I replace my GG2 and CHP L1 with Poseidon? I can’t afford Poseidon on its own, but if it is so good as a line stage… Any thoughts?

Merry Christmas to everyone!

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I will have a demo unit in Jan at home and am thinking in the same direction, although your CHP seems to be a tough challenger. Will have a better answer next month.

A peaceful, Merry Christmas to everyone!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
As the first Poesidon DACs begin to roll out, we wish to make the very exciting announcement that our Poseidon will be 100% compatible with the new Taiko Audio XDMI protocol. We will support, without compromise, the full format and all sample rates. Details will be announced soon, but we are extremely excited for this collaboration with the finest server builder on the planet.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As the first Poesidon DACs begin to roll out, we wish to make the very exciting announcement that our Poseidon will be 100% compatible with the new Taiko Audio XDMI protocol. We will support, without compromise, the full format and all sample rates. Details will be announced soon, but we are extremely excited for this collaboration with the finest server builder on the planet.
These are exciting times, indeed:cool:

Reactions: Pokey77 and AudioHR

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Is there a public MSRP for the US and will it be running at the Florida Audio Expo?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
$25K

Reactions: Macattack

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Is there a public MSRP for the US and will it be running at the Florida Audio Expo?
We are indeed planning to have our Horizon DAC in the Great Room at Florida Audio Expo alongside a statement system fronted by Acora Acoustics.

Reactions: christoph

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Any chance we willl see the Horizon at the Southwest AudioFest in Dallas in March?

George

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing