Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
The first batch of chassis are returning from the Anodising company on the 15th. We have fixed time slot reservations each week and have a private courier driving back and forth each week to drop off a fresh batch and pick up the finished batch. The only PCBs we're currently missing are the Battery charger power supply PCBs which are scheduled to arrive on the 18th.

View attachment 128082

Aka we should be able to start shipping in the week of April the 22th-26th! With all electronic parts here for all the Olympus orders it should be a continuous process from then on with 12 Olympus servers shipping every week.

I look forward to the arrival of Olympus Servers in Japan!

Currently rate limiting in chassis manufacturing is actually not CNC machining capacity but "waste management".

Each Olympus Server produces a full crate of Aluminium waste, 130 kg in Aluminium chips. This waste is recycled of course but it's a considerable volume and we need to switch buckets for every Olympus we produce which limits nigh time machining.

If we solve this "minor" issue we can increase output.

View attachment 128083
Ferrous aluminum here fetches $0.15 - $ 0.60 per lb. I have thought about many aspects of this huge project, this wasn't one of them. I hope the scrap people pick up!

Reactions: oldmustang
Dear Emile, I understand that many clients, like me, purchased only the Olympus XDMI. It would be great if we could have a private session for clients in the Munich High End to compare: (i) Olympus XDMI vs (ii) Olympus + I/O Xdmi. This way each one can decide if the improvement heard justifies the extra cost. Maybe you will get several new orders for the I/O unit. Cheers

My understanding is that the Bacch software needs to be installed on the computer/server that is connected directly to your DAC, or “endpoint”, which is same for the Taiko to do it’s full magic. If this is the case, then my guess would be that any potential benefits of the Taiko would be drastically reduced to the point that I don’t believe it would be worth the cost to have the both in the chain.

I hope that I have got this wrong cuz this is something I have thought about pursuing.
If anyone can confirm I would appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Bacch software needs to be installed on the computer/server that is connected directly to your DAC, or “endpoint”, which is same for the Taiko to do it’s full magic. If this is the case, then my guess would be that any potential benefits of the Taiko would be drastically reduced to the point that I don’t believe it would be worth the cost to have the both in the chain.

I hope that I have got this wrong cuz this is something I have thought about pursuing.
If anyone can confirm I would appreciate any feedback.

It would indeed be counterproductive with the Olympus, the Extreme server would be a better value fit.

Thanks for your response, Emile.

Me thinks that if you are adamant about using the Bacch software in your system, that anything more than a simple low cost computer solution powered by a decent LPSU that will accommodate your music library as well as for streaming Qobuz, Tidal, “**********”, etc., that will send the data to Bacch via spdif is going to make the most sense.

Do you concur, Emile?

Thanks for your response, Emile.

Me thinks that if you are adamant about using the Bacch software in your system, that anything more than a simple low cost computer solution powered by a decent LPSU that will accommodate your music library as well as for streaming Qobuz, Tidal, “**********”, etc., that will send the data to Bacch via spdif is going to make the most sense.

Do you concur, Emile?

I have no personal experience with Bacch so all I can do is refer you to this post a few pages back:

I am currently using Bacch dsp with Taiko Extreme server. While Bacch is good, Taiko makes it even better. The reverse is also true.

Reactions: VPN
It would indeed be counterproductive with the Olympus, the Extreme server would be a better value fit.
BACCH, or any DSP, would be counter productive with the Olympus, compared to the Extreme, because the Olympus and XDMI have lowered the noise floor to the point where any added noise would be more apparent. Do I have that right?

Last edited:
BACCH, or any DSP, would be counter productive with the Olympus, compared to the Extreme, because the Olympus and XDMI have lowered the noise floor to the point where any added noise would be more apparent. Do I have that right??

Well yes, but the Olympus / XDMI is an all out assault on eliminating as much digital processing as possible, it’s about minimal processing, a purist approach if you will.

Suppose your problem is being stuck in traffic for hours a day, buying a Koenigsegg Jesko Absolut just isn’t going to help much. Better put it to good use on a racing track or a german highway…

Dear Emile, I understand that many clients, like me, purchased only the Olympus XDMI. It would be great if we could have a private session for clients in the Munich High End to compare: (i) Olympus XDMI vs (ii) Olympus + I/O Xdmi. This way each one can decide if the improvement heard justifies the extra cost. Maybe you will get several new orders for the I/O unit. Cheers

I completely understand the desire for such an A/B comparison but I’m afraid the logistics and obligations surrounding our Munich attendance may make that very difficult to execute.

Well yes, but the Olympus / XDMI is an all out assault on eliminating as much digital processing as possible, it’s about minimal processing, a purist approach if you will.

Suppose your problem is being stuck in traffic for hours a day, buying a Koenigsegg Jesko Absolut just isn’t going to help much. Better put it to good use on a racing track or a german highway…
Still, I'm ok with sitting in the power seat of a Jesco...
Traffic or not.. Really.. :)

Currently rate limiting in chassis manufacturing is actually not CNC machining capacity but "waste management".

Each Olympus Server produces a full crate of Aluminium waste, 130 kg in Aluminium chips. This waste is recycled of course but it's a considerable volume and we need to switch buckets for every Olympus we produce which limits nigh time machining.

If we solve this "minor" issue we can increase output.

View attachment 128083
You just need your own industrial size smelter now. Problem solved :)

I'd say that taking the Koenigsegg to Munich High End over the German Autobahn would be best of both worlds...one would need a dash of tranquilizers upon arrival in order to aprreciate sound I guess..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing