Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
Emile is a phantom! In the last two years of visiting the Taiko room I gave a hug to Edward, had a chat with Bob, said Hello to the Taiko crew… but Emile… that felt like looking for Nessie at Loch Ness.

Unfortunately my Munich shows are typically meeting after meeting after meeting, if lucky I have 1-2 hours to turbo visit a dozen or so other rooms.

However, in March @tsaett is joining the team full time and he’ll be taking a lof of things of my hands, everything regarding sales / customer relations, which in theory means I would be available to actually meet people, spend time in the room etc :)

@Taiko Audio Now that the native XDMI connection with Lampizator Horizon has been clarified, could you give us the option of not having the AES/EBU-SPDIF card included in the Olympus or Olympus I/O (and for those who have prepaid, a credit/refund for that card)? Many of us probably still need the analog DAC card (it would be nice too to provide an opt-out/credit option for the DAC card), which will be especially useful to cover the period when the Horizon is with Lampizator for retrofitting. I have a second digital source, so the use of an external DAC is indispensable.

We can supply the Lampizator XDMI output daughterboard in stead at no up charge.

Well at show conditions, with continuously packed rooms, which we will be sharing with other manufacturers, that particular comparison is unlikely to be possible I'm afraid.

That is a more realistic scenario.
Perhaps an after hours exclusive session for clients who have already placed orders for an Olympus XDMI and would like to decide if the addition of an Olympus I/O makes sense from a cost/benefit point of view.

I will certainly go to Munich, but not sure if I can go to Steve's house depending on the date, perhaps other clients will be in the same situation.

Reactions: MarcelNL
@Emile, should we expect to be able to compare (i) Olympus XDMI vs (ii) Olympus + Olympus IO XDMI during the Munich High End (May 9-12)?
Probably not very helpful for you but just as an FYI - I will be doing some private gatherings at my house in Chicago, hopefully around Axpona time if I receive my Olympus + Olympus I/O XDMI by then.

Planning to do some comparisons such as:
1. Taiko Extreme vs. Olympus XDMI vs. Olympus + Olympus I/O XDMI.
2. Compare XDMI analog vs. some DACs (TBD which ones).
3. Determine the impact of the Taiko switch / router / DCD with the Olympus.

Space is limited, but if anyone interested to attend, send me a DM.

Perhaps an after hours exclusive session for clients who have already placed orders for an Olympus XDMI and would like to decide if the addition of an Olympus I/O makes sense from a cost/benefit point of view.

I will certainly go to Munich, but not sure if I can go to Steve's house depending on the date, perhaps other clients will be in the same situation.
Lukasz has given me dates when he is available and I have forwarded these to Emile. This all comes down to when and if Emile can find some time away from his very busy schedule and getting all the new orders filled. I do know if it comes together XDMI Native is going to be on display

Reactions: LampiNA
Probably not very helpful for you but just as an FYI - I will be doing some private gatherings at my house in Chicago, hopefully around Axpona time if I receive my Olympus + Olympus I/O XDMI by then.

Planning to do some comparisons such as:
1. Taiko Extreme vs. Olympus XDMI vs. Olympus + Olympus I/O XDMI.
2. Compare XDMI analog vs. some DACs (TBD which ones).
3. Determine the impact of the Taiko switch / router / DCD with the Olympus.

Space is limited, but if anyone interested to attend, send me a DM.
This is outstanding. In a similar time frame in Chicago, I am hoping to make AXPONA 2024 the debut of the Olympus XDMI server natively connected to the LampizatOr Poseidon DAC. Our system will be in Suite #1621 which will feature a high end system comprised of Von Schweikert Audio and Westminster Labs amplification.

We definitely hope to see many of you there for the debut of this collaboration!

Last edited:
We can supply the Lampizator XDMI output daughterboard in stead at no up charge.
@Taiko Audio Instead of what at no charge? My understanding is that Olympus will come with an XDMI output board (just a generic one with AES/EBU-SPDIF), now its output format will be tailored for a Lampizator DAC upon request (which would involve removal of the AES/EDU-SPIDF output - unless people want to keep that XDMI card and order a Lampizator daughter XDMI card additionally)? You will still keep the analog DAC card? If so, I will need to notify the dealer for the special Lampizator XDMI output configuration?

It sounds I will need to visit you again in France. It will be a true pleasure.
If I only find time....

I mentioned it before I believe
At this time I have zero need to upgrade Extreme to Olympus as the sound of Extreme is out If this galaxy now, but I do it any way based on the previous experience with Taiko Team and the promise to gain about 275% in SQ with Olympus.
It is hard to imgaine that stratospheric gain as the Taiko router adds about 15 % , switch 10 % If I remember correctly.
This will be probably a new Era in Audio.
Probably but upgrade in % is an idea, not reality. I should say that all TAIKO modules (DC, SWITCH and router) are really impressive to get a path to much more real sound. However, it's like when you want to isolate noise. The gap is on the way but the goal is when you close the last hole. That's why I use a Weiss PSU 102 (230 > 12V) to power the TAIKO family and the Swiss power transformer/linear supply is powered by PRANAWIRE MahaSamadhi Lightspeed Bocchino. This is a huge step in the right way before I will get my SGM EXTREME that will be connected to PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPD-8 with... PRANAWIRE Arhat Lightspeed USB ultimate cable. This is an exclusivity at PHPAUDIO.

It sounds I will need to visit you again in France. It will be a true pleasure.
If I only find time....

Teodor Currentzis found time to visit me, a wonderful day last December with the Maestro and Maximilien Ciup. ALSYVOX, APURNA™, PRANAWIRE, CONVERGENCE, TAIKO

Reactions: MarcelNL
w my wife out of town had a blissful 4 day stretch of 6-7 hour listening sessions per day. tube rolling and dialing all extreme and power distributor permutations. reconfirming along the way. found my best horizon tube combo and feel great about that for the moment coupled w xdms parameters. no more questioning given today’s options.

also been reading threads here the past few days/months re: tubes vs solid state; analog vs digital. so many of u have more experience on both than i do. that said, feel like first time as a kid jumping off the high dive. gulp, full on xdmi jump into the unknown. i am so intrigued about this potential new category as emile has stated - there is great digital, analog and then there is xdmi. and of course most curious about the native xdmi horizon olympus combo

Last edited:
@Taiko Audio Instead of what at no charge? My understanding is that Olympus will come with an XDMI output board (just a generic one with AES/EBU-SPDIF), now its output format will be tailored for a Lampizator DAC upon request (which would involve removal of the AES/EDU-SPIDF output - unless people want to keep that XDMI card and order a Lampizator daughter XDMI card additionally)? You will still keep the analog DAC card? If so, I will need to notify the dealer for the special Lampizator XDMI output configuration?

In stead of AES/EBU.

You rock Lukasz.....we Horizon users will be jumping all over this.........

TAIKO OLYMPUS link - UPDATE
Following the announcement of Taiko Olympus with new transmission protocol we release the upgrade path for current and future Poseidon and Horizon DAC owners.
Lampizator will be THE FIRST DAC MANUFACTURER worldwide to offer Taiko dedicated link as well as Taiko will offer a dedicated Lampizator output card.

The TAIKO link does not require any Taiko hardware inside our DAC - the thought is enough, not the hardware. We made our part of the equation ourselves and the way we like doing things.
Also it doesn't require any battery power - all this is on Taiko Olympus side. we do our part.
We decided to allow this development to be done only for our two top DACs - Horizon and Poseidon.
They both will get a retro-fit package allowing us to offer the solution to all existing users of Poseidon and Horizon.
All new orders introduced in our system from February 20 will have it already built in every Horizon (and Poseidons per request)

The retro-fit job will cost 10% of the respective DACs prices.
In new DAC builds the price will not change.

The Taiko link has one EXTREMELY important feature - the cable. It's role is critical to maintaining low jitter, low losses and low distortions. The absolute magic of the Olympus lies in these factors and we want to show the Olympus sound in all its glory. We contracted KBL- high end cable manufacturer - to build for our clients such cable in the highest humanly possible quality and also we will make the second cable in house with very high quality but more "human price". The choice is ultimately yours. We will provide our cable as part of the retrofit price package, the new builds will have the cable as an option and the high end third party cable will be a third party business.
No existing cables will work in this totally new DAC/Server scheme of things.It has to be Taiko/Lampi cable.
The maximum cable length will be 2m. (6 1/2 FT) but the standard will be 1,5m
I want to thank Taiko team lead by Emile for being so helpful and creative, and also for PUSHING THE BAR of music reproduction to a new unheard levels. I am extremely proud of having even the smallest part of this whole news.

SUMMARY: the TAIKO link will replace the RJ45 i2S socket in our Horizon DAC and the AES/EBU socket in the Poseidon DAC.
The retro-fit MUST be done only in our factory as it is a multitasking and difficult job.
Pacific, Golden Gate and other DACS will not have this link even as a paid option.
In order to use the Lampizator DAC with the Taiko Olympus you must have also the dedicated XDMI Lampizator card in the Taiko server and the Lampizator-Taiko cable.
The cable is available only from Lampizator and it costs: 1000 Euro - Lampizator home brew silver/teflon cable - 1,5m or 3000 Euro for the third party high end company KBL - namely KBL Himalaya2 cable. The choice is yours and we approve the KBL cable as being slightly superior to ours.
If you pay for the retrofit job - which cost 10% of the MSRP of the DAC - the Lampizator cable is free with the upgrade and the KBL cable is 2000 Euro extra.
We don't know of any other cable readily available that will work here. It is a double 5 pin XLR with dual digital connection similar to RS422 .
Taiko link will enable you to play everything that Tako can play - All kinds of PCM and all kinds of DSD. There are no restrictions.
Taiko link does not affect the functionality of the other DAC inputs - the way they are.
Taiko EXTREME users will get the external additional box upgrade from Taiko that will have the XDMI output with the

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing