Innuos Pulsar ????

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
Playing files off a USB stick on the Pulsar is nothing more than a utility feature and certainly nothing to write home about SQwise.
Besides, only a handful of files can be read off the USB stick.
I have a 256GB USB stick with dozens of files and only the first few (ten or so) show up under Sense.
Same files played through a Roon server (I've tested with latest generation Nucleus) sound less "noisy" overall, but still have the Roon "sound signature".
The same files again but pulled direct from the web (Tidal or Quobuz) without a Roon server sound much better still.
Currently, (YMMV of course) in the scenarios I've tried, SQ hierarchy was:
1. Innuos Zen series used as server (local files stored there) w/h Innuos Sense - Pulsar in end point mode.
2. Innuos Pulsar without a server w/h Innuos Sense (NAS for local files) in standalone mode.
3. HQPlayer server (in custom DIY PC) - Innuos Pulsar as NAA
4. Roon server (Nucleus) - Innuos Pulsar in endpoint mode.
I have even noticed a SQ difference between running the Pulsar with or without Tidal or Quobuz integration (slightly better SQ without but a pita) but it may just as well have been audiophilia nervosa.
Unless somebody other than myself confirms it, that is...:cool:
To amend my post, all files on my USB stick are now visible. Maybe I just didn't notice since you can scroll down while inside the files window. Stupid me...
SQ is also super with the new 2.6.1 iteration.
Cheers,
Ted

Reactions: Re-tread

Lio67

Oct 27, 2022
Playing files off a USB stick on the Pulsar is nothing more than a utility feature and certainly nothing to write home about SQwise.
Besides, only a handful of files can be read off the USB stick.
I have a 256GB USB stick with dozens of files and only the first few (ten or so) show up under Sense.
Same files played through a Roon server (I've tested with latest generation Nucleus) sound less "noisy" overall, but still have the Roon "sound signature".
The same files again but pulled direct from the web (Tidal or Quobuz) without a Roon server sound much better still.
Currently, (YMMV of course) in the scenarios I've tried, SQ hierarchy was:
1. Innuos Zen series used as server (local files stored there) w/h Innuos Sense - Pulsar in end point mode.
2. Innuos Pulsar without a server w/h Innuos Sense (NAS for local files) in standalone mode.
3. HQPlayer server (in custom DIY PC) - Innuos Pulsar as NAA
4. Roon server (Nucleus) - Innuos Pulsar in endpoint mode.
I have even noticed a SQ difference between running the Pulsar with or without Tidal or Quobuz integration (slightly better SQ without but a pita) but it may just as well have been audiophilia nervosa.
Unless somebody other than myself confirms it, that is...:cool:
thanks for this ranking
I tested some tracks on USB
my hierarchy is
1 - Innuos Pulsar standalone (Qobuz streaming)
2 - (far behind the 1) HQP server (HQP desktop5 on Mac Mini) - Innuos Pulsar as NAA
3 - (but very closed to 2) Roon server on Mac Mini - Innuos Pulsar endpoint
3000 - reading on USB stick in Innuos Pulsar, it's awful o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: tedwoods

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing