Innous Zenith Mk3 and Alma Music

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanx Randy. You and Alex will get me over the line on this one LOL.

ngamountains

Apr 24, 2018
I am confident that you will enjoy what streaming has to offer, Marc. Also, I forgot to mention the most important thing, I suppose. I used Roon in Chicago, running on Innuos servers and controlled via iPad, to listen on headphones.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Just to back up what others have said, not only does Innuos run the full Roon server and player without an additional PC, its integration is also extremely smooth and elegant. You’ll love it!

Reactions: ngamountains

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yep, Roon Core capable. Even the entry-level Zen mini.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi, I didn’t want to start another thread hence this query in the Innuos thread. I have been looking to move up/ away from my Mac/Bryston bdp2 server/player solution mainly because the Mac is aging and unable to cope with enhanced Roon functionality.
A single much as I would like to, I am not in the SGM budget bracket nor in the lampi SK territory. I’ve been thinking about the Zenith Mk3 amongst others like Small Green Comp Sonic Trans. The Zenith is a one box solution which is preferable but the question is whether it’s a move up from them bryston BDP-2.
I will leave it here and invite views please.....thanks in advance!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I have compared the Zenith mk2 to a Bryston unit, don’t recall the model now, and the Zenith was considerably better. With mk3, it’s a no brainer.

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
I've had an InuuOS Zenith 3 on backorder for over a month now. Allen Goodwin from Goodwin Sound tells me there was/is a backorder on the Intel chips, hence the backlog at Innuos. Meanwhile I've got a Berkeley Alpha DAC and Berkeley ALpha USB waiting patiently for the Zenith 3 to arrive.

For those of you that already have the Zenith 3 in your systems, what isolation platform do you find the most effective?

Reactions: sheppard

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Is the unit being discussed in this thread a ZENITH III or a ZEN III?..... and what, sonically, is different between them?
Thanks....

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Marty has a Zenith mk3. The Zen is one model below, and it uses regular hard drives instead of solid-state. Zenith also has better components and a considerably better power supply as well.
All the models offer the same functionality, changes are basically in improved sound quality as you move up the line.

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/music-servers-mk3

cheers,
Alex

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The Zen is one model below, and it uses regular hard drives instead of solid-state. Zenith also has better components and a considerably better power supply as well.

Any chance you could expound on the power supply being considerably better?

There’s a photo of the inside of the Zen Mk3 posted at the link that follows. The same power supply circuit board appears to be used for both the Zen and Zenith. The Zenith appears to gain the caps that are missing on that board. My guess is that there are two separate supplies in the Zen and three in the Zenith. There’s a sharing of one of the supplies in the Zen, while in the Zenith something on the board gains its own power supply. Is my speculation on the mark at all?

https://hifi-ifas.de/test-innuos-zen-mk-iii-high-end-musikserver-highlight-sylvesterknaller

I have a Zenith Std Mk2. I was informed by Innuos that there will be an upgrade program at some point that brings only the Mk3’s power supply to the Mk2. I’m eager to hear what they will charge for that.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, I do know how they sound like :) The Zenith sounds smoother, without being dull, has better image specificity, and also better drive and dynamics, both through USB as well as Ethernet.
I'm also anxiously waiting for the upgrade for mk2 owners, as we have a few folks waiting for that as well. Of course, some owners have decided not to wait, so we've took their mk2s in trade towards mk3s. Most took the opportunity to also get larger capacity units...

cheers,
Alex

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Well, I do know how they sound like :) The Zenith sounds smoother, without being dull, has better image specificity, and also better drive and dynamics, both through USB as well as Ethernet.

Thanks so much for sharing those details! That’s not easy to come by.

How would you say that the Zenith Mk2 Std sounds relative to those two?

Really a bummer that Intel has impacted delivery of the Mk3s. I’m wondering why that has also delayed the Mk2 upgrades as they only involve power supply upgrades. I wish they’d at least share pricing for the upgrade.

Having said all that, I’m delighted with my Zenith. I love how it looks too!

Ken

77D5D466-F07B-4221-BD71-E5562EF3A956.jpeg

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That's a cool looking set up indeed :)
Yeah the CPU shortage was a major bummer, as it hit them exactly when they began to ramp up production of the mk3s... We manage to deliver some, but then ... nothing... for months... Thankfully it's been sorted out, and the products are now flowing more regularly.
AFAIK, Innuos is working on the practical details of doing the upgrades, where they'll be conducted, etc in order to get final pricing.
I would say your mk2 lies right in the middle between Zen mk3 and Zenith mk3. It has that warm, flowing sound of the Zenith mk3, but not quite as much, and lacks a certain sparkle and detail that the mk3s have in spades. But it has all the traits that made the Innuos products known for. For your system, I wouldn't go Zen at all, as it's of such a high level that you'll immediately hear the differences.
That said, Zenith mk2 > mk3 is an incremental upgrade. It's not going to revolutionize your listening, but it'll definitely give you more of what you're currently enjoying.

cheers,
Alex

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty has a Zenith mk3. The Zen is one model below, and it uses regular hard drives instead of solid-state. Zenith also has better components and a considerably better power supply as well.
All the models offer the same functionality, changes are basically in improved sound quality as you move up the line.

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/music-servers-mk3

cheers,
Alex
Correct. And as far as I can tell, it is the bomb! Not sure what it takes to get even better performance, but I honestly have no interest in exploring any options. The Zenith Mk3 is a beautiful instrument, it works flawlessly, and is priced right.

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Mk3, Marty :)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I would say your mk2 lies right in the middle between Zen mk3 and Zenith mk3. It has that warm, flowing sound of the Zenith mk3, but not quite as much, and lacks a certain sparkle and detail that the mk3s have in spades. But it has all the traits that made the Innuos products known for. For your system, I wouldn't go Zen at all, as it's of such a high level that you'll immediately hear the differences.
That said, Zenith mk2 > mk3 is an incremental upgrade. It's not going to revolutionize your listening, but it'll definitely give you more of what you're currently enjoying.

Alex - thanks again for the tremendously helpful information!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing