Infigo Audio join What's Best Forum as a new sponsor!

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com

"We would like to welcome Infigo Audio as a new sponsor to What's Best Forum.
Infigo Audio is an interesting company with a new DAC, a Class A amplifier
and a range of audio cables all made in Canada."

Julian | Admin | What's Best Forum

Hans-portrait.jpg
"This month at Infigo Audio we’re celebrating our first anniversary of high-end audio show participation. After a (very) long time of no shows because of the pandemic, the Capital Audio Fest 2021 was our official kick off.

As is the case with many audio companies, ours is the result of a gotten-out-of-hand hobby and being passionate about music. It all started in 1998 from trying to understand why the one component that is NOT supposed to change the sound, the amplifier, has such a profound influence instead of just doing its job: boosting the signal so it can drive a speaker.

As we all know the rabbit hole is deep, but it’s an extremely interesting place to dig in! Sound, and especially music, has amazing properties and there’s a lot more than meets the ear. There is an entire world of information in the correlation of the two channels of a stereo signal, which builds the virtual reality trickery our brain enjoys so much when listening. Everybody listens differently, this is what makes things very subjective. It is much easier to quantify things visually than when listening to details, everyone can see if a line on a graph is 1.2 times bigger but virtually no one can say anything with same precision when determining the depth of a stereo field or the focus of imaging."

Method-3-Amplifier.jpg

IMG_9790-2.jpg

method3.jpg

Based on studies performed in the Netherlands to localize sources of sonic booms caused by airplanes using very large arrays of microphones, I set out to do the same for audio signals, using an array of microphones and correlation algorithms to visualize the virtual sound sources of a reproduced stereo image. Plotting them in various sized circles uncovers a wealth of information that is very hard to uncover just using the ears alone. An interesting spin off of this measuring setup is a recording technology I still use today to record symphony orchestras.

As a mental exercise think of what happens when reproducing a violin positioned a little to the left, a little back in the stereo field. If it’s playing a concert A, we recognize by the ratio in various harmonics that it’s a violin and not any other instrument. Details in the difference between left and right gives us the audible clues as to its position in space, however this is where it gets complicated real quick. If there is the slightest difference in treatment between the base note and its higher harmonics (and there usually is, think phase) this greatly affects the spatial clarity of the stereo image. The brain notices the violin at the right spot for the base note, but senses something is off due to the harmonics perceived in a slightly different spot.

Method4-1.jpg

Method4-2.jpg

When all is perfectly aligned however, our brain is free to wander around in the image and is able to focus on that particular part of the music we’re interested in while subconsciously filtering out what’s not at the center of attention, much like the eye focusing on an object to see it fully, while only barely noticing whatever is in the peripheral vision. The freedom to subconsciously filter sound gives us the ability to hear/enjoy things in greater detail and without the so-called listening fatigue.

To circle back to what started it all, many of these findings were incorporated in the first prototype class A amplifier, which after numerous iterations and engineering changes is now our Method 3 mono block amplifier. It is a unique design using hundreds of small extremely fast transistors in the output stage, that stay conducting at all times in a smart way rather than brute force, hence the pristine sound class A delivers but without ‘cooking the room’. All of this leads to a very pure, clean, dynamic and extremely fast sound that is incredibly natural and life like.

USB.jpg

RCA.jpg

XLR.jpg

Speaker.jpg

Optimal spatial clarity is at the basis of all our designs, from streamer via Method 4 DAC to Method 3 amplifiers via our Sparkle Series cables. It’s all based on science, but always with the ear/brain being the final judge.

The list of things done differently in our designs is a bit too long to cover in this email introduction, but I’ll be happy to divulge some of it in further write-ups. That’s it for now: I hope to be able to contribute positive tidbits to the forum and keep sharing the passion for music!

Hans Looman - Infigo Audio Inc
www.infigoaudio.com

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Welcome aboard! I have heard good things about you.

Reactions: InfigoAudio

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Have some of their products coming in for review…

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore

"We would like to welcome Infigo Audio as a new sponsor to What's Best Forum.
Infigo Audio is an interesting company with a new DAC, a Class A amplifier
and a range of audio cables all made in Canada."

Julian | Admin | What's Best Forum

View attachment 101008
"This month at Infigo Audio we’re celebrating our first anniversary of high-end audio show participation. After a (very) long time of no shows because of the pandemic, the Capital Audio Fest 2021 was our official kick off.

As is the case with many audio companies, ours is the result of a gotten-out-of-hand hobby and being passionate about music. It all started in 1998 from trying to understand why the one component that is NOT supposed to change the sound, the amplifier, has such a profound influence instead of just doing its job: boosting the signal so it can drive a speaker.

As we all know the rabbit hole is deep, but it’s an extremely interesting place to dig in! Sound, and especially music, has amazing properties and there’s a lot more than meets the ear. There is an entire world of information in the correlation of the two channels of a stereo signal, which builds the virtual reality trickery our brain enjoys so much when listening. Everybody listens differently, this is what makes things very subjective. It is much easier to quantify things visually than when listening to details, everyone can see if a line on a graph is 1.2 times bigger but virtually no one can say anything with same precision when determining the depth of a stereo field or the focus of imaging."

View attachment 101012

View attachment 101010

View attachment 101018

Based on studies performed in the Netherlands to localize sources of sonic booms caused by airplanes using very large arrays of microphones, I set out to do the same for audio signals, using an array of microphones and correlation algorithms to visualize the virtual sound sources of a reproduced stereo image. Plotting them in various sized circles uncovers a wealth of information that is very hard to uncover just using the ears alone. An interesting spin off of this measuring setup is a recording technology I still use today to record symphony orchestras.

As a mental exercise think of what happens when reproducing a violin positioned a little to the left, a little back in the stereo field. If it’s playing a concert A, we recognize by the ratio in various harmonics that it’s a violin and not any other instrument. Details in the difference between left and right gives us the audible clues as to its position in space, however this is where it gets complicated real quick. If there is the slightest difference in treatment between the base note and its higher harmonics (and there usually is, think phase) this greatly affects the spatial clarity of the stereo image. The brain notices the violin at the right spot for the base note, but senses something is off due to the harmonics perceived in a slightly different spot.

View attachment 101019

View attachment 101020

When all is perfectly aligned however, our brain is free to wander around in the image and is able to focus on that particular part of the music we’re interested in while subconsciously filtering out what’s not at the center of attention, much like the eye focusing on an object to see it fully, while only barely noticing whatever is in the peripheral vision. The freedom to subconsciously filter sound gives us the ability to hear/enjoy things in greater detail and without the so-called listening fatigue.

To circle back to what started it all, many of these findings were incorporated in the first prototype class A amplifier, which after numerous iterations and engineering changes is now our Method 3 mono block amplifier. It is a unique design using hundreds of small extremely fast transistors in the output stage, that stay conducting at all times in a smart way rather than brute force, hence the pristine sound class A delivers but without ‘cooking the room’. All of this leads to a very pure, clean, dynamic and extremely fast sound that is incredibly natural and life like.

View attachment 101021

View attachment 101022

View attachment 101023

View attachment 101024

Optimal spatial clarity is at the basis of all our designs, from streamer via Method 4 DAC to Method 3 amplifiers via our Sparkle Series cables. It’s all based on science, but always with the ear/brain being the final judge.

The list of things done differently in our designs is a bit too long to cover in this email introduction, but I’ll be happy to divulge some of it in further write-ups. That’s it for now: I hope to be able to contribute positive tidbits to the forum and keep sharing the passion for music!

Hans Looman - Infigo Audio Inc
www.infigoaudio.com
Hans, your room with Alta at CAF was the only one I came back to a 2nd time. Wonderful synergy!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Great introduction! I especially like:
If there is the slightest difference in treatment between the base note and its higher harmonics (and there usually is, think phase) this greatly affects the spatial clarity of the stereo image. The brain notices the violin at the right spot for the base note, but senses something is off due to the harmonics perceived in a slightly different spot.

I observed this with a Bach solo cello concerto as the bow moves across the four strings. Now that I have the setup dialled in, the box can essentially be (virtually) “seen” moving across the strings. It was previously exaggerated (as if they bow was moving too far from right to left), which I initially thought was due to the recording. It ended up being the upgrade to XDMS software on the Taiko Extreme and the Shunyata ALTAIRA grounding system that really nailed it.

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
Great introduction! I especially like:

I observed this with a Bach solo cello concerto as the bow moves across the four strings. Now that I have the setup dialled in, the box can essentially be (virtually) “seen” moving across the strings. It was previously exaggerated (as if they bow was moving too far from right to left), which I initially thought was due to the recording. It ended up being the upgrade to XDMS software on the Taiko Extreme and the Shunyata ALTAIRA grounding system that really nailed it.
Glad you liked it!
Interesting, when I hit reply, I see a text quoted here that isn't visible in the original reply :)
Apparently there is some spatial clarity distortion in the way the reply button works on this forum

Cheers, Hans.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Glad you liked it!
Interesting, when I hit reply, I see a text quoted here that isn't visible in the original reply :)
Apparently there is some spatial clarity distortion in the way the reply button works on this forum

Cheers, Hans.
The reply button looks to be working fine Hans

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
The reply button looks to be working fine Hans
Yes, the quoted text now also appeared in the original reply. Maybe it was just a quirk in my browser...

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing