IMPORTANT WARNING ALERT! Audigon, my membership name has been hacked, check yours

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It is already down. What is concerning though, is that this scammer was able to post is three times in a row, each time from different account, and it didn't trigger any alarm in AudiogoN stuff.

They should at least read all the new ads beeing posted and spot those they had already removed just a few hours earlier. Or pay someone to do so.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Another pair of Q3s listed on Audiogon today, for $12,600.00.
That's about 33% of retail, for a current Magico speaker.....

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
This is a room in Thailand and not Germany !!!!!!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
For the second time in 2 weeks some scamer bought the Wilson Sasha speakers I'm listing, trying to extort high quality images with serial numbers (probably as a way to set up his own scam ad).

Sellers beware - do not send HQ images with serial #, ESPECIALLY if the 'buyer' is asking to send them to some different email address than the one registered on audiogon (which happened to me on both occasions).

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Great sharing of info guys. By posting about the different types of scams, we are helping to hopefully protect any members here from falling victim. Great community spirit!

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
quoted as 220v - WARNING
UK is 240volts since the 19th century

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
It's Friday at 8:45 AM in Phoenix. All 4 of the first featured ads on Audiogon are bogus, with various London sellers. I've said this before. Audiogon is not even trying to screen these ads. Any audiophile knows these ads are bogus, instantly.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
All of the ads in question today are shown as being located in London from sellers with zero feedback, certified check or money order for payment (although one also shows cash on delivery, they must ship a box of rocks!). Like Daniel said based upon the prices alone these are obvious scams to anyone knowledgeable - "If it looks too good to be true it usually is."

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Now you have to provide your credit card for both selling and buying - kinda makes you wonder how these scammers are operating and how they have so many cards with the security numbers.

There are so many scam adds placed now a days that you must be very careful, scammers will even reply to your ad posted for sale - it's scary mind boggling.

They are still hi-jacking accounts also. I have some items I want to post for sale but have held off due to such.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Now you have to provide your credit card for both selling and buying - kinda makes you wonder how these scammers are operating and how they have so many cards with the security numbers.

There are so many scam adds placed now a days that you must be very careful, scammers will even reply to your ad posted for sale - it's scary mind boggling.

They are still hi-jacking accounts also. I have some items I want to post for sale but have held off due to such.

Agree...i emailed AGon about this, and they gave a standard corporate-esque response...dont worry, this is for your security. Sure thanks...store someone else's credit card details for their security. That was literally the last time i logged in to AGon.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Agree...i emailed AGon about this, and they gave a standard corporate-esque response...dont worry, this is for your security. Sure thanks...store someone else's credit card details for their security.

LOL - and how many times has their site been hacked and continues to be. Clearly every time there is a scam ad posted they are being which is daily.

There is so much hacking going on in general out there and to protect yourself best to always check your monthly statements to ensure there are no surprises.

Anything that I'm interested in purchasing I always say kindly provide your phone number along with address so I can make arrangements to come see in person. Usually this quickly ends the conversation - is they happen to provide you can also ask them to take a picture of a current local newspaper with the product for sale in the back ground.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
It's Friday at 8:45 AM in Phoenix. All 4 of the first featured ads on Audiogon are bogus, with various London sellers. I've said this before. Audiogon is not even trying to screen these ads. Any audiophile knows these ads are bogus, instantly.

AudiogoN is bogus. That site has turned into a wild West mess.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Guys use this link to report those ads as soon as you see them:

http://support.audiogon.com/customer/portal/emails/new

It will help saving fellow audiophiles a lot of trouble and $$$. It is important to take the action ASAP.

If the staff at AudiogoN were doing their jobs, adds would be vetted before being posted. Relying on users to do your work is foolish. Reminds me of the "if you see something, say something" mindset of the TSA. To AudiogoN's credit, they do take the bogus adds down quickly upon being reported, but how many people have jumped on a too good to be true add, only to find out they wired money to a fraud. Vet the adds before posting them, they all have tell-tales that indicate fraud...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing