Importance of Audio Measurment Revisited

what the unit SOUNDS like

is more important to me. yes, i appreciate measurements and they sometimes confirm or deny the sound you hear. you cant use them as the final arbiter though.

my friend and i immediately rejected the arc sp3 because of its fat (slightly) response and didnt listen to its other virtues. foolish tunnel vision.

and we all know the result of the blind acceptance of the superior measurements of the early solid state electronics and the backlash that followed. negative feedback cleaned all of the life from the music.

for speakers the waterfall graphs and impulse tests are quite revealing so thank you stereophile (among others) for their implementation.

i dont NEED measurements in a review to validate its accuracy, the skill of the reviewer is most often revealed over time.

...regards...tr

Last edited:
it is folly to think that companies like ARC dont measure their equipment, and strive to have well measuring electronics BUT it is also folly to rely on the measurements without listening to the results.

the lessons learned in the measurement heavy period at the birth of solid state ring loudly in the ears of those who blindly accepted the measurements to be the end-all holy grail.

when things measure badly, the sound is going to indicate this. vanishingly low distortion measurements do not automatically ensure good sound.

Just out of curiosity how many of you have had any actual experience taking and using measurements doing a DIY project as an example?? Once you have it changes your perspective on them. You realize just how important they are when you are going through the R+D trying to bring something in your head to life in flesh and blood so to speak. They may not tell you everything but your would be lost without them.

Rob:)

Just out of curiosity how many of you have had any actual experience taking and using measurements doing a DIY project as an example?? Once you have it changes your perspective on them. You realize just how important they are when you are going through the R+D trying to bring something in your head to life in flesh and blood so to speak. They may not tell you everything but your would be lost without them.

Rob:)

yeah, my speakers are diy.

It would drive ME insane if I had only my ears. In this case, measurements are a bit like a map. They stop you getting lost, can guide you were you may wish to go (yet can backtrack if need be) and are an external non influenceable yqardstick.

And, just like a map, it can't really tell you what the scenery will look like once you reach the destination.

Not knowing how it will look once you get there does not mean you don't need maps, but equally maps don't tell you everything.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing