I'm delighted to find this community

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Hi all,

I am working on a history of design that differs significantly from currently available works. Functionality, reliability, usability and similar attributes all take precedence over aesthetics. Many of the icons of modern design, Rietveld chairs for example, are getting placed by me in a category named Industrial Sculpture for items that look cool but do not function (try sitting in one — the Inquisition would have loved it). On the other hand things like the HP ThinkJet that are ignored in the standard works get featured in mine. (Imagine the SOHO office revolution or photo-printing as we now have it without HP's inkjet technology).

The objects must all be those used or owned by individuals, so no Concorde jets or Thirties diesel trains either. This has been a fascinating journey thus far as in most object-classes I've investigated their history and technology. It's a lot of research but I don't get bored ;-)

One of the grotesquely deficient areas in the standard works is consumer electronics, particularly high-fidelity. I am taking special care in this area to research truly innovative and truly superior product from roughly 1932 until the present. I am also not focused on just the best but also the best-value so an Advent 300 gets as much space as a Convergent Audio Technology SL-1.

I will periodically ask for help and opinions (and will be doing so in another post in a few minutes) however in order to maintain a high S/N ratio I will not be posting many opinions initially, instead waiting until I've had a chance to skim the many extant posts here and therefore contribute meaningfully.

I'm glad to be here and hope to "meet" you all.

Terry

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Hi Rich,

Thank you. In my past I was a (no special order) Linn, Rega, Win, Kiseki, Supex, Denon, Grace, Breuer, Jensen, Naim fan when it came to phono-playback. Really, really good stuff. Transcriptors with the Vestigial Arm gets my vote for most beautiful failed engineering followed closely by the Gale turntable. I look forward to perusing your e-zine. Thanks again for the hello.

Terry

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Hi Bob,

Another Van Morrison fan ;-) and from Victoria / Vancouver (fairly high on my list of places for a fun retirement). I look forward to emailing with you.

Best,
Terry

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Hi Bobby,

Thank you for saying hello. I know I've been to Yardley but can't remember when or why so it must have been fun. I'm starting from a clear space in each category. When I got to office equipment, office automation, and telecommunications one of the things that occurred to me was the the enormous role quietly played by HP. While IBM got the headlines (and mainly contributed a good keyboard and market credibility), and Apple (rightfully) won the design awards and was selling $1B annually, HP was selling about the same in "programmable calculators" (not called computers so they would have a different approval cycle. Then the imaging products (laser and inkjet) really made home offices / small offices viable (IMO). The alternatives were either very expensive or very noisy. At any rate HP gets its due in my account ;-) best, Terry

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.
Hi Terry,

Yardley has one coffee shop and one jewelery store you can't miss it...from a HP point of view it was the one printer that had a build in spectrophotometer what a amazing item. for that reason it's get my due also..

regards,
Bobby,b

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Bobby,

I think it must have been the late 70s or early 80s that I was there. It will come back to me eventually (maybe). Could there have been a concert held nearby?

Terry

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Along with Black Bush, the finest export of the North. Considering the date I'll be playing some Van, probably with the Chieftains, over the weekend.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My next door neighbor friend, Will (a pro artist/musician/songwriter/painter),
played with some members of the Chieftains in the past.
...And many more ....

* I'll ask him if he also played with Van.

BTW Terry, do you know Harry Manx? ...The artist, not necessarily the man.

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
Just slightly. Some of his albums are on my to-get list. I'm starting a new enterprise so until that has lift-off I've not been buying any music. Looking forward to having some of his in my collection. Too beat to do it tonight but I will definitely be asking you a bit about life in BC.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just slightly. Some of his albums are on my to-get list. I'm starting a new enterprise so until that has lift-off I've not been buying any music. Looking forward to having some of his in my collection. Too beat to do it tonight but I will definitely be asking you a bit about life in BC.

Several people asked me to write books on my experiences in the wilderness of British Columbia and Alberta.
I spent the major part of my life in the mountains, reforesting the lands, among the wildlife (nature & animal kingdom).
I flew all over, and I've seen the most beautiful places, inaccessible to the general population.
So yeah, anytime.

Will must have real talent; the Chieftains are serious ;-)
Happy St Pat's to you both.

Will Millar, from the Irish Rovers (full Irish). ...Irish blood myself (33 to 66%). ...Thanks, and to you!

* BTW, do you know these albums?

=> You can click on any of them for info and free music samples.

Last edited:

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
The photos I've seen of BC & Alberta are beautiful. That must have been an amazing experience. When life is quiet here for a few hours I'll be in touch on this subject. As to the Chieftains, yes indeed I have everyone of their recordings through the live memorial for Derek Bell. My parents ere off the boat, Limerick & Roscommon respectively.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
The photos I've seen of BC & Alberta are beautiful. That must have been an amazing experience. When life is quiet here for a few hours I'll be in touch on this subject. As to the Chieftains, yes indeed I have everyone of their recordings through the live memorial for Derek Bell. My parents ere off the boat, Limerick & Roscommon respectively.

As a fellow BC resident, I hope you don't mind if I take part in that conversation too! And yes, BC and Alberta (the mountain parts, anyway) are beautiful!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Rich,

The Okanagan, Ogopogo lake, Naramata (smile of the chief), Kelowna, Indian Rock, Paradise Ranch, Chute Lake, Banff, Jasper, Mount Robson, The Rockies, ... Vancouver Island, Kingcome Inlet, Queen Charlotte Islands, ... yes sir! :b ...Alaska.

The Rockies and the Canadian West Coast (Pacific Ocean) are among the Nine beauties of the World. :b

Last edited:

TerryNYC

Mar 15, 2013
NYC
There are two of you! but in the photos we only see bears ;-) Looks so lovely out there; delighted to converse about BC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing