I Never Knew This Game Is So Popular

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I tried to watch it to learn the rules many years ago but I gave up. Is it supposed to be related to baseball? They run only to 1 home base it seems, and not 4.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gotta love cricket! The only game whereby they stop to have Tea & Crumpets! How civilized!

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I tried to watch it to learn the rules many years ago but I gave up. Is it supposed to be related to baseball? They run only to 1 home base it seems, and not 4.

It's the other way around , baseball is related to cricket. Interesting dynamics vs. baseball , played for years. The batsmen or batters run between the wickets( bases) until they are out. So unlike baseball were the batter can only score a max of 4 runs at each time at bat , In Cricket the sky is the limit until you are out , of course when out you are done for that innings ..

Regards ...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's the other way around , baseball is related to cricket. Interesting dynamics vs. baseball , played for years. The batsmen or batters run between the wickets( bases) until they are out. So unlike baseball were the batter can only score a max of 4 runs at each time at bat , In Cricket the sky is the limit until you are out , of course when out you are done for that innings ..

Regards ...

that's enlightening. thanks.

Last edited:

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Agreed, the old empire took to it.
I have friends from India who will gladly wake up at unGodly hours to watch the game on the internet. People are really crazy about it. I believe there is also a lot of money in the Indian cricket domestic leagues.

I think that there may be some former/not-so-former British colonies in which it is not so popular (N. Ireland, for example), but the Aussies, Indian subcontinent, West Indies, and South Africans love it.

Don't forget to Google "googly."

Last edited:

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
When I lived in England, once in a while they would be playing on the village green, and we would stop and watch. The game could last for like 4 hours. People would be sitting around under the trees eating, reading, occasionally looking up ot see what was going on. Sometimes we would be driving off to somewhere for lunch, come back at dinner time and they would still be out there....but the game is a bit slow to watch though. The whites (uniforms) look good against the green of England anyway. Cheers!

4 hours? That ain't a proper cricket match.

The best cricket matches go for five days. This stuff (T20 and one day cricket) is mildly entertaining, no real skills involved but good for a few hours out. It's called one day cricket because both teams get to bat and it is over in one day, unlike the proper stuff which goes for five days as I said.

And as hard as it might seem to believe, some of those five day games come down to the wire and are absolutely nail biting.

Anyways, here is an amusing description of cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And I thought Quidditch was complicated!

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
thought I should add just a bit more about the long form of the game, first class or test cricket (test cricket is between two nations).

Each team has two innings, usually played in alternating order. Each innings is over when either ten batsmen are out, or the captain of the batting side declares the innings closed . When all the innings are completed, the team with the most runs wins. If there is a tie, the result stands (this is rare - it has only ever happened twice).

If by the end of the final day's play all the innings are not completed, the game is a draw
, no matter who appeared to be "winning". Thus the strategic importance of sometimes declaring an innings closed, in order to have enough time to dismiss the other team and so win the game.

The draw is perhaps the most baffling for outsiders to 'get'. And even more bizarre, most often it is the draw that produces the most nail biting conclusions to the game I spoke of before!

A draw means just that, no team won the game! After five days mind!:D Until recently (last decade or more??) MOST test matches ended in draws. Nowadays a result is more likely than not. It has evolved, with the advent of the shorter versions of the game into a more attacking and less defensive mindset with most setting out to win rather than save the game.

As I typed that I found it amusing to see the descriptions that are an everyday part of the game...result, save (ie draw the game) etc. Rather unusual concepts to apply to a sports game, I mean 'what, you can play a game for five days and NOT have a result?" Yep, in cricket.

The most heroic feats, as I said, often apply to a nail biting draw. If you are ahead on runs after your set of innings, to win you MUST get the opposing side out. They already are incapable of exceeding your run total, but none the less you must get them ALL out and close their innings to win, else of course it is a draw.

So it can come down to the wire, the attacking team has 'only an hours play left' (say), which also implies a certain number of balls they have left to get the opposition out, and usually it is the poorest batsmen at the end of the game left to valiantly try to maintain their wicket, ie not get out.

Absolutely riveting, on the edge of your seat stuff.

It is a 'true' game in many other aspects as well. As but one example, seein as how it is over five days, well you can imagine that the weather can and very often does play a major role in the outcome. The ball reacts in different ways under different weather conditions, it can swing wildly one day and be benign the next.

As they play on a strip of turf (called the pitch) and run back and forth on it, it starts to wear in the heavily tracked places. Additionally, the bowlers footmarks add to that wear. So the pitch itself plays differently depending on the day of the game. the rough spots caused by feet become a convenient place for the slower bowlers (employing various different styles, they can spin the ball greatly and in different directions etc). So we have a mix of bowling styles from the pacemen (who can reach bowling speeds of up to one hundred miles an hour) and the slower bowlers who get the ball to bounce off the pitch, out of footmarks etc etc.

Light conditions change (becomes overcast say) and it is late in the last day (you are trying to get the other team out, or not get out and save the game) so you can't use the pace men (too dangerous, the umpires would stop the game) so you use the slower bowlers. It is a game of so many nuances that the casual viewer would simply never pick up on it.

The onfield discussion of placement of the fielders can take time, but if it is tactics you like in a game then cricket is for you haha.

It is quite a cerebral game in many respects. The shorter forms miss an awful lot of these subtleties and opt for the slam and bam.

Here is an example of the slow bowling I spoke of, you can see he hits the footmarks on the pitch and the ball became completely unplayable.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
thought I should add just a bit more about the long form of the game, first class or test cricket (test cricket is between two nations).

Each team has two innings, usually played in alternating order. Each innings is over when either ten batsmen are out, or the captain of the batting side declares the innings closed . When all the innings are completed, the team with the most runs wins. If there is a tie, the result stands (this is rare - it has only ever happened twice).

If by the end of the final day's play all the innings are not completed, the game is a draw
, no matter who appeared to be "winning". Thus the strategic importance of sometimes declaring an innings closed, in order to have enough time to dismiss the other team and so win the game.

The draw is perhaps the most baffling for outsiders to 'get'. And even more bizarre, most often it is the draw that produces the most nail biting conclusions to the game I spoke of before!

A draw means just that, no team won the game! After five days mind!:D Until recently (last decade or more??) MOST test matches ended in draws. Nowadays a result is more likely than not. It has evolved, with the advent of the shorter versions of the game into a more attacking and less defensive mindset with most setting out to win rather than save the game.

As I typed that I found it amusing to see the descriptions that are an everyday part of the game...result, save (ie draw the game) etc. Rather unusual concepts to apply to a sports game, I mean 'what, you can play a game for five days and NOT have a result?" Yep, in cricket.

The most heroic feats, as I said, often apply to a nail biting draw. If you are ahead on runs after your set of innings, to win you MUST get the opposing side out. They already are incapable of exceeding your run total, but none the less you must get them ALL out and close their innings to win, else of course it is a draw.

So it can come down to the wire, the attacking team has 'only an hours play left' (say), which also implies a certain number of balls they have left to get the opposition out, and usually it is the poorest batsmen at the end of the game left to valiantly try to maintain their wicket, ie not get out.

Absolutely riveting, on the edge of your seat stuff.

It is a 'true' game in many other aspects as well. As but one example, seein as how it is over five days, well you can imagine that the weather can and very often does play a major role in the outcome. The ball reacts in different ways under different weather conditions, it can swing wildly one day and be benign the next.

As they play on a strip of turf (called the pitch) and run back and forth on it, it starts to wear in the heavily tracked places. Additionally, the bowlers footmarks add to that wear. So the pitch itself plays differently depending on the day of the game. the rough spots caused by feet become a convenient place for the slower bowlers (employing various different styles, they can spin the ball greatly and in different directions etc). So we have a mix of bowling styles from the pacemen (who can reach bowling speeds of up to one hundred miles an hour) and the slower bowlers who get the ball to bounce off the pitch, out of footmarks etc etc.

Light conditions change (becomes overcast say) and it is late in the last day (you are trying to get the other team out, or not get out and save the game) so you can't use the pace men (too dangerous, the umpires would stop the game) so you use the slower bowlers. It is a game of so many nuances that the casual viewer would simply never pick up on it.

The onfield discussion of placement of the fielders can take time, but if it is tactics you like in a game then cricket is for you haha.

It is quite a cerebral game in many respects. The shorter forms miss an awful lot of these subtleties and opt for the slam and bam.

Here is an example of the slow bowling I spoke of, you can see he hits the footmarks on the pitch and the ball became completely unplayable.

Shane Warne was quite popular in Oz:)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Im a big fan of one day cricket over test matches .....and while India today is a powerhouse in cricket , this was not the case a couple decades ago ...

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Im a big fan of one day cricket over test matches .....and while India today is a powerhouse in cricket , this was not the case a couple decades ago ...
The West Indies used to be dominant. Then it was the Aussies. I remember England being good. Also Sri Lanka. It changes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing