I Am Seeking a Bit More of the CJ GOLDEN GLOW. Please Share Your Thoughts On What Newer CJ Separates to Consider

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Sure thing LL21

It's right under this Tab! The second tab right under Paolo's thread... in the CJ forum:

Title: CJ's True Work of Art, it's a passion nothing else"
posted on Jul 23, 2023
Views: 200
Replies: 1 (only one reply by my good mate AJ) good on ya mate!

Re. audition on the Magico Q7 with CH precision gear, yes. Unfortunately no ART Class A gear on Magico's.
However, tonytsui our good mate in HK has that very system comprising of the Q7's driven by CJ's top of the line ART Class A series amplifiers. He's posted a few notes and an awesome pic of his system on CJO as well but I think the best audition would be to be there in person! If I had more time... I would have definitely wanted to attended the HK audio show, and visited tony's, that would have been fantastic apart from what was on in Spore at the Adelphi and my private dealer mates.
I needed to spend some quality time with my pops (he turned 90) so I had to make do with the few days I had.

Most probably next Feb or July, I'll do another trip. Apart from the Alsyvox and CLX's, which I'm very very familiar with... I really liked the Diptyque French ribbon panels. Something new to experience, it was marvelous with the Jadis amps! Speaking of new, I was also looking forward to auditioning the new Clarysis panels but none of my dealer mates had taken delivery. I think there are a few things they need to sort out first in terms of distribution and who's the primary importer for that region. Another speaker system I was really really looking forward to hearing was the Genesis Tributes with the VAC Statements but I think that particular pair that was ordered was most probably sold... I don't know. The Tributes are commissioned only on custom order, so I don't think you can just walk into a Genesis dealer and expect to see one on demo. Oh well, life is such.

Cheers mate, and enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ

Reactions: paolo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you and very helpful reading! Will go look up the posts...

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
The ET3 is here. It was used by my cj dealer as a demo unit and it looks virtually new. The dealer was kind enough to install a fresh tube. The preamp operation is completely intuitive and is working flawlessly. It looks pretty on the shelf. I like the digital volume read outs which are easy to read from my listening chair. And, I'm happy to have a remote.

Even with only a few hours playing time I can tell I prefer it over the PV5. Cleaner, more detail, and better soundstage. More "air" dare I use the term. The ET3 seems to better reflect various recordings than the PV5. Bear in mind that the PV5 had been "upgraded" by somebody and I don't know if the mods were for the better.

I've got the ET3 paired with an MV55 so there's still plenty of "golden glow" which means hours of listening sans fatigue.

Having said that, I'd be curious to be able to audition a newer amp - say something like the Classic 62SE or maybe a Classic 120 non SE :) But, for now, all is well in my personal tuneland.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Meanwhile the ART88/108s have settled in, I do no longer hear any “teflon capacitor signature”, I have exchanged the supplied Gold Lions for Telefunkens in V1 and Amperex PQ in V2/V3 which do elevate performance, do sound more neutral, clear and extract more detail. I don’t notice any “golden glow” anymore. I still have KR KT88s on order to try.

Their soundstaging ability is uncanny, they throw the largest stage of any amps I ever owned before. Bass is not the tightest, nor the deepest, but very well defined, agile and dare I say natural. Plenty of slam / impact.

Speedwise they hold the middleground between the Atmaspheres and the KRs. They are clearer and more transparent then both of these. Tonally they are in between aswell, the Atmaspheres are brighter, the KRs darker.

They are just a delight to listen too, I can easily listen to them for 4-8 hours without any fatigue, very musical, very pleasant while rendering all the detail I need.

I am more then pleased with their performance and they’re staying. To be honest I did not expect too much of them prior to their arrival, was admittedly even thinking “another time waster”, but they managed to surprise me.

Care to list other amps you've owned?

So far my LP70S has beat (with ease): Prima luna evo 300 + 400, Don sachs KT88, Willsenton r800i, Pass X350.8.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one Paolo mate!

That's more like it! From the PV series preamps to the ET series, there's no comparison. It's several generations long past... and the more you appreciate the ET3, you'll begin to realise more of the recording. These newer gen preamps are far less coloured and have a more neutral affect. So you'll hear more of the music.

That golden glow you're getting is more to do with the MV55. The MV series amps are vintage... and CJ has come a long way from that series. If you do get a chance to audition the newer Classic series amps, you'll find less of that golden glow. In other words, a more neutral tone less coloured again. So those two matched ET series preamps and the Classic series power amps, will deliver a fine sound!

It will take a while getting used to... simply because we're used to that golden glow! That's what CJ was known for, it was one of their hallmarks. However, now all that's changing with their newest ART series gear. It's phenomenal gear, really well done.

Glad to hear you're enjoying those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Care to list other amps you've owned?

So far my LP70S has beat (with ease): Prima luna evo 300 + 400, Don sachs KT88, Willsenton r800i, Pass X350.8.
The CJ LP70S, is a fine amplifier. That's about as good as it gets in SOTA gear, regardless of price.

Those other ones you've owned/ mentioned aren't in the same class, hell no!
Was just wondering what Output tubes are you currently using on your LP70S?
Also, what speakers are being driven and which preamp have you matched the LP70S with?

There's always something new to learn... and thanks for posting.
Cheers, RJ

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
The CJ LP70S, is a fine amplifier. That's about as good as it gets in SOTA gear, regardless of price.

Those other ones you've owned/ mentioned aren't in the same class, hell no!
Was just wondering what Output tubes are you currently using on your LP70S?
Also, what speakers are being driven and which preamp have you matched the LP70S with?

There's always something new to learn... and thanks for posting.
Cheers, RJ

Im curious what would happen if you put some heavier hitters against the lp70s like VAC, audio note etc. Maybe better but would all be way more expensive.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Im curious what would happen if you put some heavier hitters against the lp70s like VAC, audio note etc. Maybe better but would all be way more expensive.
That's a definite. VAC and Audio Note are way up there, this is a completely different level. Price tag... that's a different dimension mate.
There's always used or demo floor model options but don't come up too often.

All the best, RJ

Reactions: tobiasrankin

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Unfortunately the MV55 has developed some "issues" (buzz word for multiple tubes red-plating. I returned the amp. That is it! I've had it with vintage gear, especially of the glowing bottle variety. :). Fool me once....

So back to my trusty Luxman Class A until I find a suitable tube integrated- one with a proper remote control. No more separates.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Attn: Paolo

Well looks like you've had your fair share of tooob-ness. The red plating can a few resistors that need replacing in the bias circuit or some minor other thing, these can be easily attended to by a skilled techie. Anyway, you've already returned the MV55 and it's quite vintage indeed.

Speaking of tube integrateds, weren't you using the CAV45-S2? If so, how's that going?
Much newer version and in current production, an absolute sheer joy to have but no remote though.
Is the remote feature a must have thing in your case?

Hope you're enjoying those fine tunes either way.
Cheers, RJ

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Hola RJ,
Believe it or not, the MV55/ET3 pairing sounded better to us than the CAV45-S2. Not by a wide margin, but nevertheless. And while not absolutely essential, I find that having a remote control contributes considerably to my listening sessions.

Be well amigo,
paolo

Reactions: Another Johnson

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Thank you AJ. I've been mightily tempted by that ARC component and I've had excellent dealings with Paragon. The VSi75 is on my short list.

Meanwhile, I'm awaiting the arrival of a tube integrated of Italian origin. I'll have a generous amount of time for a home audition. It has KT66 tubes and is said to sound warm and full.

More details as the mini-saga unfolds.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hola RJ,
Believe it or not, the MV55/ET3 pairing sounded better to us than the CAV45-S2. Not by a wide margin, but nevertheless. And while not absolutely essential, I find that having a remote control contributes considerably to my listening sessions.

Be well amigo,
paolo
Ah I see. It was definitely the contributing factor of the ET3 as a dedicated linestage that delivered the added performance.

Hope you find the right one. AJ has recommended the ARC gear, very good choice. Also check out VTL, Manley Labs, and Jadis, they all offer integrated tube gear that's well designed.

If you're able to push the budget fairly higher, there's the Kondo Audio Note Overture (EL34 Class A), that one is fabulous! I used one to drive my Quad ESL 2905's at one point, just before venturing back to CJ gear.

Cheers, RJ

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Ah I see. It was definitely the contributing factor of the ET3 as a dedicated linestage that delivered the added performance.

Hope you find the right one. AJ has recommended the ARC gear, very good choice. Also check out VTL, Manley Labs, and Jadis, they all offer integrated tube gear that's well designed.

If you're able to push the budget fairly higher, there's the Kondo Audio Note Overture (EL34 Class A), that one is fabulous! I used one to drive my Quad ESL 2905's at one point, just before venturing back to CJ gear.

Cheers, RJ
The tube integrated that I'll soon be auditioning in my home is a Synthesis a40 Virtus.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
paolo said:
The tube integrated that I'll soon be auditioning in my home is a Synthesis a40 Virtus.
Harris4crna said:

I am a owner of the Synthesis A40. Like to get your view on the amp following your audition.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I shall do so. I'm quite eager to have some in-home time with the Synthesis.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
@Harris4crna

The Sythesis a40 V arrived today and I've been streaming Roon through a Gold Note DS-10 with the Gold Note dedicated power supply.

My initial impressions of the Synthesis are extremely positive. The soundstage is enormous. Wide, tall, deep. There is a fullness and richness to the music which I'm enjoying very much. Speakers are Guarneri Homage, and powered by the Synthesis the bass is prodigious. I've never before heard these speakers sound like this in my home. And I didn't think the GF's were capable of delivering this kind of bass. :)

Another big plus is how good the Synthesis sounds at moderate to low volume.

I've got a pair of REL T5x which I'll hook up in a day or two so I can compare with and without subs.

I'm eager to listen to the built-in DAC and will be experimenting with a Sonos port in a few days- this decision is based on the advice and counsel of the dealer, Vu, at Deja Vu Audio in VA. That's how they demo the amp. But at this point I have absolutely no nits to pick with the Gold Note and Synthesis pairing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Sounds amazing...those speakers are treasures. For me, one in the pantheon of history's great speakers.

Harris4crna

Sep 27, 2023
Washington DC
The Synthesis Amps truly allow bookshelf speakers come alive. They did this for my Dali Epicon 2 as well. Why do you think Vu has you listen to the Synthesis on small Proacs? One, it's a great selling tactic, but two it truly does live up to the hype. Enjoy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing