I am ashamed

izeek

Mar 30, 2021
Maryland
Audiocrast, an Amazon brand. Surely nothing like the cables a lot of folks here have. Till now, I didn't give them much thought. I bought these because irrationally I liked the looks. Whteher I can see them or not(I can). Cheap chinese, yeah. Does it matter to me? No. 0416211911.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Remember Spirit, gas is petrol over the pond.

Towards the effort of linquistic kinship, "over the pond" , that is, here in America, 'gas' is typically either gasoline (your petrol) or LP, liquid propane, or NG, natural gas. Where there are delivery lines to residential or commercial, many of us use natural gas for cooking versus electricity and one reason for that is it is often less expensive than electricity. LP is sometimes used as fuiel for outdoor grills versus charcoal. So "cooking with gas" is something we indeed do.

We have a phrase in UK when things are going swimmingly..."now things are cooking on gas".

While we don't typically say "swimmingly" (although the phrase is used), "now we're cooking with gas" is not a foreign phrase to us and is used when things are going well. :)

Sorry... things are a bit slow here.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Audiocrast, an Amazon brand. Surely nothing like the cables a lot of folks here have. Till now, I didn't give them much thought. I bought these because irrationally I liked the looks. Whteher I can see them or not(I can). Cheap chinese, yeah. Does it matter to me? No.
In view of the poor translation of the Description of this cable and other Audiocrast products, I rather doubt it's an Amazon company. In fact Amazon use the brand name of "Amazon Basics" for their own products. Even those are not made by Amazon but made for Amazon. However they normally describe their own stuff in intelligible English!

Your photo shows a cable that appears to be very flexible, yet reviews often say it’s pretty stiff. How would you describe its flexibility? There’s no description of the cable’s construction, so I’m inclined to stick with the Belden cable I mentioned earlier which seems designed to remove interference, etc. Thanks.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
In view of the poor translation of the Description of this cable and other Audiocrast products, I rather doubt it's an Amazon company. In fact Amazon use the brand name of "Amazon Basics" for their own products. Even those are not made by Amazon but made for Amazon. However they normally describe their own stuff in intelligible English!

Your photo shows a cable that appears to be very flexible, yet reviews often say it’s pretty stiff. How would you describe its flexibility? There’s no description of the cable’s construction, so I’m inclined to stick with the Belden cable I mentioned earlier which seems designed to remove interference, etc. Thanks.

I would not assume that every off-brand on Amazon is giving you a product as-described. Link below shows a power cable that could burn your house down... IMO, you're better off ordering from a brand or store that can be verified as legitimate.

Reactions: Mikem53

izeek

Mar 30, 2021
Maryland

Actually, this cord is fairly stiff. I had to do some rub work to get them to seat without stress on the connectors.
There is this.
  • Cores' Gauge: 10awg*3
  • Cable Diameter: 17mm(0.67”)
  • Cable Material: OFC
  • Volt/Amp: 125V/15A,Max Input: <5500W
  • Connectors: US plug + IEC320 C13
  • External Covering: braided sleeving
  • Ground connect shielding,shielding it is not solidsoli
and this
1.Three cores inside and 10 AWG per core.

2.Cable diameter: 17mm(0.67”)

3.Cable material: Super Pure Copper Multi Conductor Power Cable.

4.Plug A: P046 red coper US standard plug

5.Plug B: C046 IEC C13 connector solid copper

6.Volt/Amp: 125V/15A Max Input: <5500W

7.Cable external covering: red & black mix braided expandable sleeving.

8.Package: 1 x power cable with US plug

So, maybe I'm wrong in my description. I should've said I bought them on Amazon not from Amazon. rofl.
So far I've not been had any problems. The wire used in mine appear to be thick stranded copper wire looking at it's connections in the plugs. All together seems well-built.
I didn't have interference issues before, don't now.
No hum. No noise.
I hadn't thought of the possibility that they would not be up to snuff.

izeek

Mar 30, 2021
Maryland
I would not assume that every off-brand on Amazon is giving you a product as-described. Link below shows a power cable that could burn your house down... IMO, you're better off ordering from a brand or store that can be verified as legitimate.

The wire in my cords looks like the cable in the second pic.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Actually, this cord is fairly stiff. I had to do some rub work to get them to seat without stress on the connectors.
There is this.
  • Cores' Gauge: 10awg*3
  • Cable Diameter: 17mm(0.67”)
  • Cable Material: OFC
  • Volt/Amp: 125V/15A,Max Input: <5500W
  • Connectors: US plug + IEC320 C13
  • External Covering: braided sleeving
  • Ground connect shielding,shielding it is not solidsoli
and this
1.Three cores inside and 10 AWG per core.

2.Cable diameter: 17mm(0.67”)

3.Cable material: Super Pure Copper Multi Conductor Power Cable.

4.Plug A: P046 red coper US standard plug

5.Plug B: C046 IEC C13 connector solid copper

6.Volt/Amp: 125V/15A Max Input: <5500W

7.Cable external covering: red & black mix braided expandable sleeving.

8.Package: 1 x power cable with US plug

So, maybe I'm wrong in my description. I should've said I bought them on Amazon not from Amazon. rofl.
So far I've not been had any problems. The wire used in mine appear to be thick stranded copper wire looking at it's connections in the plugs. All together seems well-built.
I didn't have interference issues before, don't now.
No hum. No noise.
I hadn't thought of the possibility that they would not be up to snuff.
Yes I'm sure that cable is fine. It is far too heavy for my liking and more so than it needs be, particularly if handling 240 volts as mine would be. The UK cable of the same description apart from UK plug does not specify the AWG of the cable.

10 AWG is ikely to be far too stiff and (for example) the totally reliable and highly recommend Belden 19364 uses oxygen free 14 AWG cable - surely more than enough for 110 or 240 volt equipment. If you need more than 10 Amps, you shouldn't terminate with an IEC plug, so little point in using 30 Amp capacity cable.

izeek

Mar 30, 2021
Maryland
Yes I'm sure that cable is fine. It is far too heavy for my liking and more so than it needs be, particularly if handling 240 volts as mine would be. The UK cable of the same description apart from UK plug does not specify the AWG of the cable.

10 AWG is ikely to be far too stiff and (for example) the totally reliable and highly recommend Belden 19364 uses oxygen free 14 AWG cable - surely more than enough for 110 or 240 volt equipment. If you need more than 10 Amps, you shouldn't terminate with an IEC plug, so little point in using 30 Amp capacity cable.
10 AWG is relatively stiff. AVcording to its write-up it also is ofc. This certainly overkill for my kit but, hey.
Might be biting off more than I can chew here, but I'm going to offer up that these cables make strong impact in bass strength and detail, mid presence and sweetening of my treble, which on occasion could be bright.
All in my mind, I'm sure.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I purchased one of those cheap “high end” power cables off Amazon, Just out of curiosity, to see if I could see or hear a difference. It was like $30 , it Was thick and looked pretty. had a similar orange connector as the one pictured above.
Upon closer inspection, I could see strands of wire sticking out in all directions from the terminal screw that holds it in place, on both leads. I’d say about a third of the wire wasn’t terminated, just sticking out.
I never did hook it up.
I did try an inexpensive PC from Signal cable that was about 3 times the cost, made in the US and built to order. Much better build quality and peace Of mind that It’s built properly and Safe to use.. Money well spent, IMO.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This is my pre amp dac and power amp powercord .
I have more expensive powercords that are connected to my studers and telefunken .
I bought those of the guy who did the revision but more out of symphety then that i actually expect to hear something different / better.
I dont think i ever even bothered to try them on the pre amp, power amp or dac .
But the powercord that came standard with the meitner dac aint nothing special either or the new Ml gear for that matter
I think 15 years ago was the last time i tried expensive cords as i got some expensive cords to try when i bought a new ML amp.

But its not good for my loudspeaker marketing though , that i dont play the expensive cable game , but what the hack
31cNKK8TuqL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing