I am afraid to post this....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I agree with your wife. We have a tendency to abuse the meaning of investment. We consider the return of many hours of sonic bliss as an investment but the wife does not, in the same way the wife will consider an article of clothing that they will use more often an investment but I do not see it her way. For me, it is more enjoying the money we have. As long as it brings sonic bliss, it is money well spent. Congratulations on your new amplifier and watch. Enjoy.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I placed the amp on top of Harmonix footers, and sound became even more transparent, but bass got a tad lean, not sure I like that...any guess besides removing the footers and try?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Are you sure the bass wasn't a tad bloated before and now placing the amp on footers cleaned it up?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles...thanks. i could only find on vinyl. Does this one work? http://www.amazon.com/Window-Time-R...62890&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=bosendorfer+pinao

it is a Bosendorfer piano roll of Rachmaninoff...or is this not the Bosendorfer with the extra keys you were referring to?

These are wonderful performances and sound, at least on vinyl and are from his Connoisseur Society recordings. They were released on CD, but maybe are OOP????

http://www.amazon.com/Connoisseur-Society-Debussy-Moravec-Piano/dp/B0036BU0DM

The best might be to look up Vai Audio.

I think this one is equivalent to the Beethoven above:

http://www.amazon.com/Ivan-Moravec-Plays-Beethoven-Ludwig/dp/B00005YP1W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1

This is one of my favorites (what gives on the price though?):

http://www.amazon.com/IVAN-MORAVEC-...8-2&keywords=ivan+moravec+connoisseur+society

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
These are wonderful performances and sound, at least on vinyl and are from his Connoisseur Society recordings. They were released on CD, but maybe are OOP????

http://www.amazon.com/Connoisseur-Society-Debussy-Moravec-Piano/dp/B0036BU0DM

The best might be to look up Vai Audio.

I think this one is equivalent to the Beethoven above:

http://www.amazon.com/Ivan-Moravec-Plays-Beethoven-Ludwig/dp/B00005YP1W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1

This is one of my favorites (what gives on the price though?):

http://www.amazon.com/IVAN-MORAVEC-...8-2&keywords=ivan+moravec+connoisseur+society

Thanks! Just ordered this one...not even released yet. Here is a description from Amazon:

One of the first recordings that earned Ivan Moravec acclaim and secured him a position among the finest pianists of the 20th century was the album of the complete Chopin Nocturnes made in 1965 in New York (Steinway) and at Viennas Konzerthaus (Bösendorfer) for the Connoisseur Society label. Many critics have branded this recording a benchmark and consider it the ultimate account of the Nocturnes; in the words of Henry Fogel (Fanfare): This is playing that draws the listener deeply into the music - you are not drawn into Moravecs achievement, but Chopins. Ivan Moravec presents the Nocturnes in an admirable scale of colours and dynamics (down to astonishingly tender, barely touched tones), with the music flowing so naturally that it seems as though there are no bars or individual notes. Supraphon is rereleasing this legendary recording with a sensitively remastered sound, which brings out to the full the wealth of tone colours of Moravecs piano. Ivan Moravecs account of the legendary Chopin Nocturnes, in a more colourful remastered sound

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think Transparent and MIT are very different animals. The TA "boxes" simply limit bandwidth, in a very similar way to the Audioquest dba system, but of course, using different methods.

I just watched a 20 minute video on MIT's site, and it was filled with theory and what I like to call
invented problems. Manufacturers like to invent problems, especially in high end audio, so they can create and sell "solutions". There half a dozen branded pseudo scientific terms like Fractional Articulation Technology

I also naturally dislike companies that churn their line non stop. Shunyata does this too. Every year there is an overhaul, with promises of "breakthroughs".

I mean I just had to laugh at their new MIT "Super HD" line.

ALL that being said, I have only heard and seen them at shows, and I am sure they sound great other wise they would not have been paired with insanely expensive speakers and components.

Andre do you truly believe all TA does is roll off the top end? That's far from my experience when I spoke with Jack ;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I dunno

Andre do you truly believe all TA does is roll off the top end? That's far from my experience when I spoke with Jack ;)

Hey Myles:

I truly do not know. Based on listening, they are better than just about every cable I have tried for specific applications.

I believe they state their aim is to limit bandwidth.

This is what many cable designers have aimed for..to create some sort of shield, whether it be with an active charge, a simple network, a fuse!, or a battery.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hey Myles:

I truly do not know. Based on listening, they are better than just about every cable I have tried for specific applications.

This is what many cable designers have aimed for..to create some sort of shield, whether it be with an active charge, a simple network, a fuse!, or a battery.

I think you are confusing some things or I’m confused. Audioquest’s use of the DBS system is to “speed” up the signal flow if you read their literature, not to limit bandwidth. And shielding a cable does not reduce the cable’s bandwidth. Using a network like MIT does for say Spectral amps definitely does reduce the bandwidth the amplifier sees in order to prevent the amp from going into oscillation due to its extremely high bandwidth.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think you are confusing some things or I’m confused. Audioquest’s use of the DBS system is to “speed” up the signal flow if you read their literature, not to limit bandwidth. And shielding a cable does not reduce the cable’s bandwidth. Using a network like MIT does for say Spectral amps definitely does reduce the bandwidth the amplifier sees in order to prevent the amp from going into oscillation due to its extremely high bandwidth.

True about the MIT. But I thought the DBS thing was to reduce noise picked up by the cable? Not sure how this speeds up things.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Hey Mep:

I think we are both right, but i was being way more general.

The DBS system, as you said keeps the the cable "charged" and active so as to keep the cable
permanently "broken in". But they also claim it acts as a shield.

To my mind, preventing the cable from acting as an antenna is is another
way of saying you are limiting bandwidth.

Another way to say it would be you are restricting the cable's performance to the known musical
frequency range. Trust me, I am no engineer, but this is what I understand.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey Myles:

Well I can tell you from talking to Jack that there is a lot more going on in the cables :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
True about the MIT. But I thought the DBS thing was to reduce noise picked up by the cable? Not sure how this speeds up things.

I just went to the Audioquest site and read about how insulation slows the speed of electron flow or some such nonsense which causes all types of errors that Audioquest fixes for you with their charged cables.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I just went to the Audioquest site and read about how insulation slows the speed of electron flow or some such nonsense which causes all types of errors that Audioquest fixes for you with their charged cables.

Mep,

Could you supply us the link where you read such horrible nonsenses? Although I do not believe that it is possible to explain exactly why DBS returns audible benefits in sound reproduction using our current knowledge, I have read an interview with Bill Low of Audioquest about DBS and he never referred to such nonsense as "speed of the electron flow". BTW, please remember that the DBS technique is being used in the capacitors of crossovers of the great JBL DD6600 - it is why it needs so many 9V batteries. Applying DC to create a stationary permanent polarization to a dielectric to reduce its intrinsic noise is not properly new - using it in cables with a particular geometry was. It is why it was patented:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=wix7AAAAEBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=7,126,055&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dqjfT5uIEcaX1AWHzpWGCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA

Although there are many people who are not reasonable with their claims, I have found that Bill Low is one of the very reasonable guys. You can find some of his opinions at PositiveFeedback

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/audioquestinterview.htm

Disclaimer - I have used Audioquest cables - the silver Sterling III and Lapiz III, about twenty years ago!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mep,

Could you supply us the link where you read such horrible nonsenses? Although I do not believe that it is possible to explain exactly why DBS returns audible benefits in sound reproduction using our current knowledge, I have read an interview with Bill Low of Audioquest about DBS and he never referred to such nonsense as "speed of the electron flow". BTW, please remember that the DBS technique is being used in the capacitors of crossovers of the great JBL DD6600 - it is why it needs so many 9V batteries. Applying DC to create a stationary permanent polarization to a dielectric to reduce its intrinsic noise is not properly new - using it in cables with a particular geometry was. It is why it was patented:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=wix7AAAAEBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=7,126,055&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dqjfT5uIEcaX1AWHzpWGCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA

Although there are many people who are not reasonable with their claims, I have found that Bill Low is one of the very reasonable guys. You can find some of his opinions at PositiveFeedback

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/audioquestinterview.htm

Disclaimer - I have used Audioquest cables - the silver Sterling III and Lapiz III, about twenty years ago!

Here are the exact words, I didn't make them up:

DIELECTRIC-BIAS SYSTEM (DBS, US Pat #s 7,126,055 & 7,872,195 B1): All insulation slows down the signal on the conductor inside. When insulation is unbiased, it slows down parts of the signal differently, a big problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio. AudioQuest’s DBS creates a strong, stable electrostatic field which saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This minimizes both energy storage in the insulation and the multiple nonlinear time-delays that occur. Sound appears from a surprisingly black background with unexpected detail and dynamic contrast. The DBS battery packs will last for years. A test button and LED allow for the occasional battery check

Here is the link:http://www.audioquest.com/reference-series/wel-signature

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here are the exact words, I didn't make them up:

DIELECTRIC-BIAS SYSTEM (DBS, US Pat #s 7,126,055 & 7,872,195 B1): All insulation slows down the signal on the conductor inside. When insulation is unbiased, it slows down parts of the signal differently, a big problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio. AudioQuest’s DBS creates a strong, stable electrostatic field which saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This minimizes both energy storage in the insulation and the multiple nonlinear time-delays that occur. Sound appears from a surprisingly black background with unexpected detail and dynamic contrast. The DBS battery packs will last for years. A test button and LED allow for the occasional battery check

Here is the link:http://www.audioquest.com/reference-series/wel-signature

Mep,

In no place I read the word electrons or speed of electrons in the patent. Just signals.

The signal in a conductor is a wave. Actually the average drift speed of electrons in a metal is very slow - associating the electrons speed and the waves in a simple relation is an usual misconception.

And yes, insulation delays signal propagation in a conductor - see this experiment
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1996AmJPh..64..220G

If the very basic physics were wrong the patent people would have noticed it - you can not patent a device that goes against the know rules of science - e.g. any device claiming perpetual motion will be denied a patent!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Just changed my speaker cable (posted somewhere else here at WBF) and system benefited with the Kondo SPx silver - I will try speaker positioning to fine tune (looking for some additional body and dynamics - just a tad!) the set-up - so far/damn good!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing