I am a luddite - in other words Mains Cable

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
It all makes a cumulative difference. This is also where the water analogy to electricity breaks down, resistance in an electric circuit is linearly additive but this isn't the case for restricting the flow of water, so a low quality part doesn't necessarily "bottleneck" the system in the way it would the flow of water. However, using too many parts that add their own sound characteristics can definitely mask changes in the system. If you go from source to driver using high quality wire and connectors throughout the system it makes a massive difference.

It most certainly does. I've spent much time realizing that effort.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Really????

You need to read some of Jim Brown's, Neil Muncy's and Henry Ott's papers.

Nice you refer to these authors. In their articles about the pin 1 problem they clearly refer to the problem of RF entering the equipment through cable shields and being radiated inside the unit. They also address the problem that RF generated inside the unit (clocks, etc) can exit the unit and contaminate other equipment. If RF was not an important issue in audio equipment they would not spend their words with it.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Really????

You need to read some of Jim Brown's, Neil Muncy's and Henry Ott's papers.

I'd guess you know I have... but in a high end system there's more to it, the indefinable contribution of conductor material, dielectric and geometry that are difficult to measure/correlate to perceived sound quality. To make good cables it takes an understanding of both imo...

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Quick update. I decided to run a dedicated circuit off my rcd as the first stage. I used 6mm twin and earth and two mk gang sockets without switches. I cleaned them with deoxit. Electrician told me I have 242 volts goinh through.

It was an interesting change as I did back to back listening against the 'normal' wall socket. At first I thought it very odd. The dedicated seemed slower at first and dare I say it more stogey - so I thought. As time went by and I did comparisons I realised that it was as if it were a good meal cooked by a talented chef in that each ingredient was better delineated and had a distinct and fuller flavour. It was as if time was slowed down.

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
One of the benefits power cable manufacturers tout goes against this. Namely they talk about fast transient response to high current needs of the equipment. Well, anything with fast transients by definition filters less than another cable! You get fast transients because you reduced how much high frequency filtering is happening. That is the opposite of any kind of high frequency filter.

Ok, a power supply would typically be stepped down in voltage by a transformer, rectified to DC, smoothed and bypassed with large caps, voltage regulated, smoothed, bypassed, filtered by further caps then maybe more next to critical components which often have high psrr in themselves.

Why would the fractional difference a funky mains cable could make to the incoming mains impedance have any bearing on the final output impedance of the power supply?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If "scientist' beleive power cords have no effect, a logical concluusion would be they would not use them for thier own equipment. Right? A cursory Google search appears to indicate the opposite. See, https://www.google.com/search?q=udr...ved=0ahUKEwj8_cuGnITKAhXG1B4KHcniBk8Q_AUIBigB
"Electrical power supply interference can come in a range of forms, such as voltage dips and surges, harmonics, or voltage spikes."

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ok, a power supply would typically be stepped down in voltage by a transformer, rectified to DC, smoothed and bypassed with large caps, voltage regulated, smoothed, bypassed, filtered by further caps then maybe more next to critical components which often have high psrr in themselves.

Why would the fractional difference a funky mains cable could make to the incoming mains impedance have any bearing on the final output impedance of the power supply?
The argument some make is the other way around in that the mains cable can filter what the device generates. My point was regarding saying that in one breath and in the next saying it handles transients in power consumption well.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
The argument some make is the other way around in that the mains cable can filter what the device generates. My point was regarding saying that in one breath and in the next saying it handles transients in power consumption well.
Yep, it's an oxymoron. You don't need both power line filters (power conditioners) and cables that deliver high speed transients.

BE718

Sep 30, 2015

Sorry I may have misinterpreted. I'm interested in exploring some the controversy regarding mains cables.

Ok, can I ask what people think the "problems" are associated with a standard mains cable? With a view to exploring each topic, such as rfi, impedance etc.

I have just nearly got banned from another site for suggesting and discussing this in a technical and disciplined manner. The subjectivist have gone totally crazy and want my head! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing