HumminGuru - an inexpensive desktop RCM

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have been using mine with Audiodesk solution simply because I had some.

Bill - tryTergitol 15-S-9. I don't know Euro availability; I buy from Talasonline.com ($21.75 USD + ship). This is suggested by cleaning expert @Neil.Antin and there is consensus with @dminches and myself that it very effective. I don't know tank capacity of the Humminguru but we use 2ml in ~ 12.L.

Use your second machine to do a distilled water rinse and change the tank frequently.

Edit: https://www.serva.de/enDE/ProductDetails/6295_37242_Tergitol_TM_15_S_9_0_338.html#packages

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill - tryTergitol 15-S-9. I don't know Euro availability; I buy from Talasonline.com ($21.75 USD + ship). This is suggested by cleaning expert @Neil.Antin and there is consensus with @dminches and myself that it very effective. I don't know tank capacity of the Humminguru but we use 2ml in ~ 12.L.

Use your second machine to do a distilled water rinse and change the tank frequently.

Edit: https://www.serva.de/enDE/ProductDetails/6295_37242_Tergitol_TM_15_S_9_0_338.html#packages

Awesome - thanks a lot for the suggestions! The Audiodesk stuff is pricey so this is great.

The tank is tiny - only around 375ml for a 12” LP.

Reactions: tima

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
Awesome - thanks a lot for the suggestions! The Audiodesk stuff is pricey so this is great.

The tank is tiny - only around 375ml for a 12” LP.
For the GURU, need to be careful of foam. The appropriate concentration if using Tergitol 15-S-9 is 0.008% (80 ppm). This will provide wetting and some detergency w/o excessive foam. To prepare, it's better prepare a 1-gallon solution. For 1-gal-UK (4540 ml) add just a bit less than 0.4 ml. For 1-gal-US (3790 ml) add 0.3 ml.

To measure, disposable pipettes are handy - example: KINGLAKE Plastic Transfer Pipettes 1ml,Essential Oils Pipettes,Gradulated,Pack of 100: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific.

If you are in the UK, an alternative to Tergitol 15-S-9 is Dehypon LS54 -Dehypon – Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd (conservation-resources.co.uk). If you decide on this, you would use at a concentration of ~0.006%. To prepare a 1-gallon solution; for 1-gal-UK (4540 ml) add 0.3 ml. For 1-gal-US (3790 ml) add ~0.2 ml.

FYI - each surfactant has specific properties that dictate concentration, so each surfactant can have different concentrations for use. Also, both the Tergitol 15-S-9 and Dehypon LS54 are 100% concentrated and very high-performance nonionic surfactants and a little goes a long-way.

Neil

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
For the GURU, need to be careful of foam. The appropriate concentration if using Tergitol 15-S-9 is 0.008% (80 ppm). This will provide wetting and some detergency w/o excessive foam. To prepare, it's better prepare a 1-gallon solution. For 1-gal-UK (4540 ml) add just a bit less than 0.4 ml. For 1-gal-US (3790 ml) add 0.3 ml.

To measure, disposable pipettes are handy - example: KINGLAKE Plastic Transfer Pipettes 1ml,Essential Oils Pipettes,Gradulated,Pack of 100: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific.

If you are in the UK, an alternative to Tergitol 15-S-9 is Dehypon LS54 -Dehypon – Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd (conservation-resources.co.uk). If you decide on this, you would use at a concentration of ~0.006%. To prepare a 1-gallon solution; for 1-gal-UK (4540 ml) add 0.3 ml. For 1-gal-US (3790 ml) add ~0.2 ml.

FYI - each surfactant has specific properties that dictate concentration, so each surfactant can have different concentrations for use. Also, both the Tergitol 15-S-9 and Dehypon LS54 are 100% concentrated and very high-performance nonionic surfactants and a little goes a long-way.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks ever so much for the advice - much appreciated.

I have cleaned at least 15 LPs today and so far so good.

Best.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Sure. The motors ceased after 3 years of use.
Wow. How many records do you clean per-week (day?)?
I have mine for ~4.5 years without any issues (rubbing the rabbit’s foot).

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Wow. How many records do you clean per-week (day?)?
I have mine for ~4.5 years without any issues (rubbing the rabbit’s foot).

I would estimate about 10 per week.

Reactions: iaxel

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I would estimate about 10 per week.
Thanks!
I’m around the same amount, although that’s on average. It mostly depends when my bulk record orders arrive.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks!
I’m around the same amount, although that’s on average. It mostly depends when my bulk record orders arrive.
I wouldn’t fear - if it has lasted this long, maybe you have a good one.

Reactions: iaxel

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
For me, it was all about how it performs versus my KLAudio machine. This is a hard comparison to do, so all I could do was take two of my own records (which Ive never cleaned and were acquired for no other reason than testing the effectiveness of these machines).

Test One - listen, then clean in HumminGuru first, listen then clean in KLAudio. With this test, the record was quieter first time with another similar sized drop in noise floor after the KLAudio clean.

Test Two - listen, then clean in KLAudio first, listen then clean in HumminGuru. With this test, the record was significantly quieter more so with the KLAudio, with perhaps a very subtle (if any) improvement after its time in the HumminGuru.

So, not as extensive yet a testing regime as I wouldve liked, but my findings are so far:-
The KLAudio is the better machine, BUT, you cant buy them anymore and they were 7-8 times the cost of the HumminGuru, so probably unfair comparison.
The HG is very quiet in comparison, in both cleaning and surprising drying. And the drying was perfect, so big thumbs up. This could almost be used while listening to music - the KLAudio, not so much (its loud!)
For the asking price, I would definitely recommend the HG over any of the RCM cleaners at a similar price point (Okki Nokki, Project etc), however, as someone who also uses a RCM, I find you do get the best of both worlds (Ultrasonic machines wont clean oil and grease off the surface of a record).

HG1.jpg

HG2.jpg

HG3.jpg

HG4.jpg

HG5.jpg

HG6.jpg

HG7.jpg

HG8.jpg

HG10.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
(Ultrasonic machines wont clean oil and grease off the surface of a record).

Perhaps that comes from using the Klaudio - the weak spot, imo, of the KLAudio machine was it's caveat against detergents - water only.

A nonionic surfactant is important for emulsifying oil, and having some part of the ultrasonic cleaning cycle at a lower frequency. Higher frequencies alone are not efficient for heavier oil or grease. One reason while dual frequency machines work well is the breadth of coverage of different types of dirt particles they address.

Thanks for the pictures of your Humminguru!

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Perhaps that comes from using the Klaudio - the weak spot, imo, of the KLAudio machine was it's caveat against detergents - water only.

Thanks for the pictures of your Humminguru!
Maybe, but as the machine was designed with just distilled water in mind, I think I will stick with the manufacturers' warning and not risk.
Besides, I have another machine for removing oil and grease from records...

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 5.04.15 pm.png

Reactions: adyc

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Maybe, but as the machine was designed with just distilled water in mind, I think I will stick with the manufacturers' warning and not risk.

No one suggested you do otherwise.

Other people read these threads and your claim that ultrasonic RCMs cannot remove grease and oil is incorrect. I simply postulated a reason why you held it.

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Other people read these threads and your claim that ultrasonic RCMs cannot remove grease and oil is incorrect. I simply postulated a reason why you held it.
I never made such a claim. Reread my post.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The last sentence in your post says this:

(Ultrasonic machines wont clean oil and grease off the surface of a record).

For me, it was all about how it performs versus my KLAudio machine. This is a hard comparison to do, so all I could do was take two of my own records (which Ive never cleaned and were acquired for no other reason than testing the effectiveness of these machines).

Test One - listen, then clean in HumminGuru first, listen then clean in KLAudio. With this test, the record was quieter first time with another similar sized drop in noise floor after the KLAudio clean.

Test Two - listen, then clean in KLAudio first, listen then clean in HumminGuru. With this test, the record was significantly quieter more so with the KLAudio, with perhaps a very subtle (if any) improvement after its time in the HumminGuru.

So, not as extensive yet a testing regime as I wouldve liked, but my findings are so far:-
The KLAudio is the better machine, BUT, you cant buy them anymore and they were 7-8 times the cost of the HumminGuru, so probably unfair comparison.
The HG is very quiet in comparison, in both cleaning and surprising drying. And the drying was perfect, so big thumbs up. This could almost be used while listening to music - the KLAudio, not so much (its loud!)
For the asking price, I would definitely recommend the HG over any of the RCM cleaners at a similar price point (Okki Nokki, Project etc), however, as someone who also uses a RCM, I find you do get the best of both worlds (Ultrasonic machines wont clean oil and grease off the surface of a record).

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi All,

From my perspective, and for the asking price, I think the risk of using a detergent solution with the distilled water is very much worth it. I think one can play it “safe” here and not use a load of alcohol in with the detergent, which arguably could destroy over time the seals etc.

I would be very interested to see a comparison of KL vs Humminguru with detergent…

Best regards.

Reactions: Lee Henley

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
The last sentence in your post says this:
I apologise, you are correct. I did copy and paste from another thread, but for transparency I won’t edit my post.
While I have the means to clean the surface of a record with my Clearaudio machine, I am more interested in the groove of the record. I find the cavitation perfectly fine in the KL.

Reactions: tima

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Hi All,

From my perspective, and for the asking price, I think the risk of using a detergent solution with the distilled water is very much worth it. I think one can play it “safe” here and not use a load of alcohol in with the detergent, which arguably could destroy over time the seals etc.

I would be very interested to see a comparison of KL vs Humminguru with detergent…

Best regards.
I agree, the HG is probably worth the risk, although I would those who damage the unit or shorten its lifespan as a result are upfront and honest.

As for a comparison of the two with anything but distilled water, you won’t get that comparison from me!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing