How to catalog a record collection

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I kind of freaked out the other day before leaving on vacation. Way to much home invasion in Seattle. I was aware I had no idea what I had in my record collection at this time. And there is some value there.
I laid all my decent 45 rpm, 180 grain, new issue type records out and took images of them all. I then went and did the same with all my jazz and rock of value. Then I counted my classical and put a note on top stating the quantity.
What I want to do is have a place where all my albums are cataloged that tracks what I have as well as the value. I need this for insurance purposes. Is this what Discogs does? Or is there a better place.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you are notating a catalog be sure and grab record label + release / catalog number in addition to artist and album name

Reactions: Steveo

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Rex, this is exactly what discogs does. You catalog your collection and it will also tell you what it's worth and you can buy/sell from there if you like. It's a big pain to initially add your whole collection but after it's done, you can easily add to it as you buy new records.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
If you are notating a catalog be sure and grab record label + release / catalog number in addition to artist and album name
Its hard to know what I have. When you come by, maybe you can show me some of the important descriptors.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I use the Collectorz subscription service which works fine. Creates a great report for insurance purposes. Haven't compared to Discogs.

Reactions: microstrip

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I use the Collectorz subscription service which works fine. Creates a great report for insurance purposes. Haven't compared to Discogs.

Does this scan the barcode to grab the pressing information? Which version are you using, mobile, computer or both?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I have really loved the Music Buddy app. It has lots of great features

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Rex, one major issue in pricing a collection is that condition is all important. Obviously the record itself and it means the playing condition not just the physical appearance. Then for most records, the condition of the record jacket and sometimes even the record sleeve, especially it if is unique to that particular album. The price variation can be a factor of 10 times or more depending on the condition. Another major issue is the pressing and the associated record label. Normally, an early pressing, particularly a first pressing with an early stamper (found in the deadwax) usually makes a huge difference in price, often as much as the condition. Pricing on discogs and some other sites may not clearly differentiate. Also the price being asked is not always a good indicator of the price that will be received. Dealers who have strong guarantees for replacement or refund for records that are not accurately graded or described can charge a lot more than the typical seller where the sale is as-is.

Larry

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Collectorz looks very purpose built. It would suck if they closed their doors and you were locked out of your data. I guess this could happen to Discogs too.

Then again, an ouside storage site protects the data if a fire took the home as well as the computer the data was on.

Yes Larry. All very true. I don't know how to tell what version of an album I have . Mabe Solypsa will be able to show me when he stops by.
I should start putting a grade for how well it plays on the inner sleeve.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Going back to the original way of cataloging a collection, I have 2 databases.
The first is artist, album, catalog number and format, with the artists in alphabetical order.
The second is full details, album track listing, running time and other notes. I’m not interested in value, nor music “type”.
The only problem is the length of time required to input all the information depending on your collection size and what you need the information for, and no real way around it unfortunately, so a lot of hard work initially then updating as and when you wish.
Interesting topic though!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing