How to Assemble a High-End Audio System

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to What's Best Forum's series of inspirational videos to guide you in assembling a satisfying high-end audio system to connect you emotionally to the music you love.

When I watch an hour long or 90 minute long instructional video I want to swallow a capsule of cyanide. So these videos are going to be very brief, focusing on only one or two principles.

Our goal is to help you walk a fairly straight path to discovering your preferences, selecting a listening space, selecting components, assembling the system and optimizing it to your room and to your listening preferences.

I am going to be de-bunking a lot of widely-held views as we go. Fasten your seatbelt!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I had already viewed this on you tube. I'll get some chips. This should be good. I think it would work if the members did not comment and just let you post the videos.

Reactions: Alrainbow and dbeau

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Can't wait for the ep on how to take 6 years to build a listening room :p ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Can't wait for the ep on how to take 6 years to build a listening room :p ;)

The listening room itself took only a few months. However, there definitely will be no episode on "How to Hire a Contractor."

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, is next episode about how one discovers their preference for natural sound?

And if one does not have time to discover preferences, what's the best way? watching videos?

• Haha
Reactions: marty and XV-1

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ron, is next episode about how one discovers their preference for natural sound?

And if one does not have time to discover preferences, what's the best way? watching videos?
Reading the thread?? I am sure someone has done a thread on “natural sound” that will guide us all…however, it could take longer to read and understand that then it took Ron to get a room!

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
When I watch an hour long or 90 minute long instructional video I want to swallow a capsule of cyanide

Ron thanks for starting my day with a good laugh.

I look forward to your sereis

Reactions: Alrainbow

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Ron thanks for doing this. A great idea. The comment I hear repeatedly is "listen for yourself". While I agree with that premise the actual execution is very difficult to achieve. So many factors get in the way such as access to gear, like kind comparisons, listening room variation, acoustic memory and so forth. With hundreds of choices and permutations with electronic and cable mixes that, in large part, it seems the task is impossible. Plus I have found my tastes have changed through the years. Most gear theses days is very good, perhaps a better approach would be how to select the "best" gear for a given room and budget? Moreover how do different equipment typologies impact on the sound signature of the overall system and work together synergistically. In sum a daunting task.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Most gear theses days is very good, perhaps a better approach would be how to select the "best" gear for a given room and budget? Moreover how do different equipment typologies impact on the sound signature of the overall system and work together synergistically. In sum a daunting task.

Yes, IMO an analytical way of thought will always be needed in this hobby. But before looking for audiophile preferences people should understand stereo basics and listen to a decent, well assembled and good sounding accurate stereo system. And remember that the development of preferences needs some kind of guidance, either books, magazines, good dealers, gurus or audio forums.

Reactions: ScottK

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The listening room itself took only a few months. However, there definitely will be no episode on "How to Hire a Contractor."
Don't feel bad Ron. Contractors don't know how to hire contractors.

Reactions: ScottK

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
How to assemble a high end system? Stacks and stacks of cash.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Careful Ked, stones in a glasshouse ! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing