How many hours will be perfect the cartridges?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
How many hours our cartridges will be in perfect conditions?
Shure tell 800/1000 hours
Some tell more than 2.000 and some maximo 1.500 hours
This nobody knows
Do you have one idea?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I am not sure but I tend to sway towards the idea that 1500 to 2000 is possible in the right scenario ( clean records, well setup, well made sample ).

I know what your thread title means, but to me the cart is never perfect but goes through changes its whole life so we need to enjoy the times when the cart really 'sings'! ;)

Reactions: Jon

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I think this varies-with maybe 3000 hours the average. Climate may play a part on the suspension in addition to diamond life.

I have an Allaerts MC2 Formula One on order, the manufacturer claims 10,000 hours...

Reactions: Chop

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
vdh claims, that the most carts he repairs after certain hours died to early due to much to high Antiskating values, his pictures are a good document for this matter. Means the answer is, the max hours for a cart are a function of the correct installation as well.

The type of Diamant cut is important as well. It is well known, that some of the Gyger cuts are not good for many hours,
on the other hand also the simple cut Diamond of the Denon DL 103 is loosing the performance very fast.

A second matter is the rubber used. To my knowledge Koetsu is voiced and build with aged rubber parts, so a Koetsu will play constant over the time of use. Other manufacturers use new rubbers, so the aging of the rubber will change the sound.

Imagine the different rubber aging process in hot/cold/high, low humidity rooms.

In high humidity rooms rust becomes the next problem, mainly on the iron parts of the coil...

Iron Dust is the next variable to "kill" a cart over time.
(makes the magnetic parts over time black and heavy)

In a nut shell, what I want to say is, that there are many variables out there,
so some carts will play 1000 hours, some 3000 hours, depending on the individual situation.

Reactions: gian60

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing