How Hi Fi Has Become a Standard Unto Itself

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
A long time ago I had to sort out how to create a reference. To that end I got a virtuoso to play an instrument live while I experiemented with microphones, mic preamps and mic placement and listening to the mic feed in a different room, comparing it to the actual. There is a different way to interpret Karen's comment- which does not require you to be a virtuoso yourself.
Nice! Well said, and a great suggestion. Although what you accomplished doesn't require being a virtuoso yourself, it did require a lot of thinking, research, effort, and time to make it happen.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I recently went to a wonderful, intimate venue featuring Larry Carlton with local musicians from the Atlanta area. Besides Larry there was electric bass, drum, sax and trombone. All instruments except the drum were amplified.

The venue has good acoustics. The drum presentation was wonderful. Now the however, i was simply listening to amplified music to a very large degree and in my opinion a good system can sound as good or better than the amplified venue i heard, except for the drum kit.
my brother in laws both play guitar and one is pretty good drummer. If i can get Both in my room it would be a great experience. I especially want to get his real drum kit in so i can hear/feel the real thing in my space.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hi Karen,
Have you ever considered a career in diplomacy? I am not sure you disagree or agree. You deftly handle so many flame thrower issues. I have argued so many of these issues I will not revisit them here.
You are welcome to any benefit my response provided.
Let me answer the one question you posed. At 68 I don't get around much anymore. The price of concerts for big name acts is exorbitant. There is the occasional free or bargain concert. I still hunt down my favorite artists. I regret missing Eva Cassidy before she passed.i am currently in the hunt for Cecile Mclorin Salvant-Windows and Woman Child. I am the guy who actually listens to cover bands or that free concert at the book store. I used to time my Sunday bike ride so I could hear the guy playing guitar outside the NC BBQ restaurant on the Va. W O&D bike trail.
Enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karen Sumner

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Enjoy the music.
That's what it's all about! I'm not into attending big name live band events either — the sound reinforcement borders on the painful. I would rather hear recordings of electronically produced music at home, and electronic music that is well produced in a studio can be terrific! I think that as you have said so well, music is all around us if we are willing to look for it.

I welcome your input anytime. Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: retired farmer

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I recently went to a wonderful, intimate venue featuring Larry Carlton with local musicians from the Atlanta area. Besides Larry there was electric bass, drum, sax and trombone. All instruments except the drum were amplified.

The venue has good acoustics. The drum presentation was wonderful. Now the however, i was simply listening to amplified music to a very large degree and in my opinion a good system can sound as good or better than the amplified venue i heard, except for the drum kit.
my brother in laws both play guitar and one is pretty good drummer. If i can get Both in my room it would be a great experience. I especially want to get his real drum kit in so i can hear/feel the real thing in my space.
I get it you mean music played over venue PA

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
By the way, why aren't more musicians interested in better hi fi systems? Is it because they have real ultimate music experiences which a hi fi can not possibly replicate? Could it also be that when they listen to a generally acceptable playback system, they are so imbued with what the music actually is from their experiences, that their brains fill in the gaps? What do you think?
Karen, I think you hit the nail right on the head here! All the musicians I record have very simple systems, I think for exactly those 2 reasons, they can hear the "real thing" when they play and many have told me their favourite recordings were made many many years ago, some even in the 50's, when the recorded sound may even have been mono... Because those performances were so individual and drew one into the music... it's the music & it's performance that's the most important. If it sounds great/close to real, that's a bonus.

It's not about being note perfect, but being human. This is mostly lost in todays hugely edited, manufactured recordings. IMHO

Ed

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I get it you mean music played over venue PA
yes. obviously dont have that issue with symphonies. when i attend popular concerts the enjoyment is the show and experience but not the sound as most dont sound good.

Reactions: Karen Sumner

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing