Horus

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just think it's another DAD AX24 clone with more channels, touch screen and ethernet connection.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Improved performance?

Wouldn't separating from the noisy computer and giving output devices their own dedicated power improve their sound a bit?

I am hoping Merging sells a bunch of these so I might can get a deal on used Mykerinos cards.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I was looking at it closely and it shares the same chassis as the DAD AX24/Sphynx 2 ... even has that noisy fan on the side. I'll stick with my DAD for now. I don't need that many channels..

There are plenty of Mykerinos cards for sale.. I even have some. PM me for details...

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I am hoping Merging sells a bunch of these so I might can get a deal on used Mykerinos cards.

That might leave you behind. The Pyramix Mass Core Mastering Pack (required to get DSD and DXD functionality) was recently quoted at about $4,500, without expansion options. Merging has already stated that 64 bit OS support will only happen with their new Ravenna based products, leaving Mykerinos at 32 bit only. Will Merging continue to support two different hardware platforms with operational advances?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Looks like Merging is moving away from cards to Horus-type devices that are networkable. According to Merging, they will come out with more Horus-type devices that are smaller with output formats specific to the user.

Question for Bruce: I believe you have a MADI optical card. How do you go from MADI optical (SC-optical) to ST-optical into your MPS-5? Is it as simple as terminating your cable with SC on one side and ST on the other or are they different standards?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Well there are several companies that make SC-optical duplex on one end and ST-optical on the other end. The problem is when there are different protocol standards used.
The MPS-5 can be used with 2 different protocols, Sonoma and PLINK. You need to change in the menu.

Here's where I get my optical cables.
Fiber Optical Cable Shop

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing