Horning Sati Turntable. Any users?

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
I am looking for a new turntable right now. Which is the best tonearm match for this turntable? Cartridge: VDH Colibri Grand Cru

Josef

Reactions: gestalt

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Josef,

I am an owner of the Horning Sati. Unfortunately I have had it only a relatively short time now and haven’t tried many arms as yet - so far a modified SMEV and a The Peak 12” arm from Stefano Bertoncello. The latter is easily superior to the former on my 4 cartridges tested (didn’t matter which - preferred The Peak in each situation).

Clearly arm choice is hugely personal and based on your overall system current balance and also what cart you are preferring to use. Since you have the VDH Grand Cru, that helps me to give a suggestion.

Based on the inherent sound of the Sati and VDH, I would personally look towards 12” pivoted designs that are more relaxed and laid back in nature. I would avoid arms that can be analytic, cold, or tippy.

It is hard to give more precision to my answer without knowing the rest of your system and the overall sonic signature you have now and what you are aiming for.

Here is my Sati:
16F66770-4B28-40CD-8579-E7B48DE1DB72.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Love the way this table looks. Bill, yours is gorgeous. Really like the matte finish option too.

Thanks Gestalt. I do like this turntable a lot. There is something reassuring about its simplicity and crazily over engineered build - bearing and platter specifically lol.

MrC.

Feb 16, 2019
Hi Josef,

I am an owner of the Horning Sati. Unfortunately I have had it only a relatively short time now and haven’t tried many arms as yet - so far a modified SMEV and a The Peak 12” arm from Stefano Bertoncello. The latter is easily superior to the former on my 4 cartridges tested (didn’t matter which - preferred The Peak in each situation).

Clearly arm choice is hugely personal and based on your overall system current balance and also what cart you are preferring to use. Since you have the VDH Grand Cru, that helps me to give a suggestion.

Based on the inherent sound of the Sati and VDH, I would personally look towards 12” pivoted designs that are more relaxed and laid back in nature. I would avoid arms that can be analytic, cold, or tippy.

It is hard to give more precision to my answer without knowing the rest of your system and the overall sonic signature you have now and what you are aiming for.

Here is my Sati:
View attachment 77255
What a beautiful turntable. What cart do you have on the SME and what is the phono preamp it is going into?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What a beautiful turntable. What cart do you have on the SME and what is the phono preamp it is going into?

Thanks MrC. There is a nos Decca Blue on it right now. But my mono DaVa is going on it. The SME is being replaced too - need a more suitable arm for this heavy mono cartridge.

This is then going into a modded NVO Spa II SE. From there to Mayer 10y and then to Mayer 46 monoblocks.

Interesting from your other post - I am using a Kevlar/fibre belt with zero give. I preferred this presentation vs rubber as it has more drive and snap. My other theory is that heavy platter turntables (50kg on my platter) creating a very substantial inertia that resists stylus drag very effectively - couple that to high torque motor with thread drive and it has a lot of balls.

Best regards.

MrC.

Feb 16, 2019
I am using a Kevlar/fibre belt with zero give. I preferred this presentation vs rubber as it has more drive and snap. My other theory is that heavy platter turntables (50kg on my platter) creating a very substantial inertia that resists stylus drag very effectively - couple that to high torque motor with thread drive and it has a lot of balls.
I'll bet it does. That much rotational energy probably eliminates the contributions of the motor, but with the belt you have that too. All you need do now is ensure a tight coupling between the platter and the record. Have you tried different mats like the Herbie mats or a graphite mat? I think with a heavy metal platter like that it would help couple the record and help decouple vibrations. What type of speakers are you using the AERs in. If I had the space I lust after the pnoes. Alas, room is at a premium for me.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I'll bet it does. That much rotational energy probably eliminates the contributions of the motor, but with the belt you have that too. All you need do now is ensure a tight coupling between the platter and the record. Have you tried different mats like the Herbie mats or a graphite mat? I think with a heavy metal platter like that it would help couple the record and help decouple vibrations. What type of speakers are you using the AERs in. If I had the space I lust after the pnoes. Alas, room is at a premium for me.

Hi MrC,

The top of the platter has a vinyl like materials bolted into the top presumably to reduce ringing. I tried a soft leather mat but that substantially softened and reduced the perceived transient snap. So I evicted that lol.
I am ensuring very substantial coupling through a massively heavy record clamp I am making in bronze and lignum:

07DB58AC-55DF-4425-8D3A-66BD019CEF47.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
In terms of speakers, I am currently designing and building my own bespoke horns. I have various iterations but the AER is in a solid mahogany front loaded horn of my own design. Depending which version I am listening to, that could be either with an fc of 200hz or the bigger one with 135hz fc. Bass comes from either my own open baffle design with 4x15” woofers per side or my very large front loaded mid bass horns from 50-200 and the open baffles from 20-50z.

C7CCE577-DFBD-4E5E-967B-95E012964D46.jpeg

Bigger one - diameter is 80cm. This has just had first coat of shellac applied. Just working on this one this week actually.

931AA4BA-6E6C-4EE6-A097-D2B3A37C61D6.jpeg

MrC.

Feb 16, 2019
In terms of speakers, I am currently designing and building my own bespoke horns. I have various iterations but the AER is in a solid mahogany front loaded horn of my own design. Depending which version I am listening to, that could be either with an fc of 200hz or the bigger one with 135hz fc. Bass comes from either my own open baffle design with 4x15” woofers per side or my very large front loaded mid bass horns from 50-200 and the open baffles from 20-50z.

View attachment 78121

Bigger one - diameter is 80cm. This has just had first coat of shellac applied. Just working on this one this week actually.

View attachment 78122
Thats a beauty.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi Josef,

Here is my Sati:
View attachment 77255
What an amazing turntable.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Love that massive clamp as well.

Thank you very much - appreciate your kind comments. That is actually a forthcoming commercial product I make. It is solid Italian bronze internal with Lignum Vitae - only strong bearings need apply lol. Everything sounds more grounded and together - more engaging as a result.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Thank you very much - appreciate your kind comments. That is actually a forthcoming commercial product I make. It is solid Italian bronze internal with Lignum Vitae - only strong bearings need apply lol. Everything sounds more grounded and together - more engaging as a result.
Bill, when they're ready sign me up for one.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing