High from Cape Town, South Africa

colonel66

May 30, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
I have been pointed in the direction of this forum by a fellow South African who like me, has become jaded by the quality of the postings/content of our local AV forum. Having had a potter around the forum it looks like a great recommendation so thanks Jed.

I have been listening to music since my early teens with my first system comprising a sony walkman. Many a happy hour was spent blissfully listening to music at night.

My current system comprises:
  • Linn LP 12 with Funk FXRII arm, Koetsu Rosewood Plat Cartridge, sited on a Finite Element wall shelf
  • Audio Research Reference 2 phono stage
  • Audio Research Reference CD8
  • Audio Research Reference 3 pre amp
  • Audio Research Reference 110 power amp
  • Vivid Audio G1
  • All cabling Cardas Golden Reference (except power which is Cardas Cross)
  • Dedicated listening room with custom acoustic treatment by Matter Acoustics
  • Dedicated power distribution for the room (separate from the rest of the house)

I spend atleast 4 nights per week listening to music with a mostly jazz slant but broad minded enough to listen to other genres.

I am looking forward to learning from my fellow members

Keep listening
colonel66

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Welcome to WBF colonel. I have been to CT on numerous occasions, as I have relatives in Stellenbosch and SeaPoint. What part of CT are you in?

colonel66

May 30, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
thanks for the welcome Steve.

@DaveyF i am based in Constantia which is approx 20 minutes from Sea Point - i am very lucky to live in this superb city - i hope you have enjoyed it when you have visited

i have been to the states twice (2007 and 2012) - but restricted to the east coast NYC, Washington DC and to Omaha for the Berkshire Hathaway AGM

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
thanks for the welcome Steve.

@DaveyF i am based in Constantia which is approx 20 minutes from Sea Point - i am very lucky to live in this superb city - i hope you have enjoyed it when you have visited

i have been to the states twice (2007 and 2012) - but restricted to the east coast NYC, Washington DC and to Omaha for the Berkshire Hathaway AGM

Welcome from another Southern Hemispheran :)
My aunt lives in Constantia

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome indeed. When I moved to San Diego, California, I was told it was one of the two places with "perfect weather" and that the second place was in South Africa. True? If so, what part?

colonel66

May 30, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
The weather is great, but perfect is a stretch. The weather also varies across the country. Here in Cape Town summers are idyllic with no rain and warm long days - great for outdoors. Winters are mild but we do get winter rain.

The main attraction for Cape Town is that there is so much to do. I live in the suburb of Constantia and within 15 minutes we have beaches, mountain biking in forests or up mountains, hiking trails, wine farms. A lot more within 30 minutes

Cape Town was voted the number 1 tourist destination by a trip advisor survey.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome colonel66

I had some friends that went down for the World Cup, but stayed in Durban. They did manage some time in CT and came back with a very positive experience from their time in SA. It's certainly one of my "bucket list" countries to visit!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The weather is great, but perfect is a stretch. The weather also varies across the country. Here in Cape Town summers are idyllic with no rain and warm long days - great for outdoors. Winters are mild but we do get winter rain.
That is pretty similar to San Diego weather. And yes, they exaggerate just the same there :). We move to San Diego and the day the movers were there, there were "santa ana" winds meaning the direction of wind changed from the normal pacific ocean to the desert. Temps shut up to 110+ degree F and we could not sleep that night. We had no AC because we were told the weather was "perfect" and you didn't need air conditioning! That said, in balance it is one of the more perfect weathers.

The main attraction for Cape Town is that there is so much to do. I live in the suburb of Constantia and within 15 minutes we have beaches, mountain biking in forests or up mountains, hiking trails, wine farms. A lot more within 30 minutes

Cape Town was voted the number 1 tourist destination by a trip advisor survey.
Sounds great. We too have similar attractions within 45 minute to 1 hour radius but have long rainy season here and perfection only occurs during about 3 months of summer.

Hope to be able to make it to your country one of these years.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have been pointed in the direction of this forum by a fellow South African who like me, has become jaded by the quality of the postings/content of our local AV forum. Having had a potter around the forum it looks like a great recommendation so thanks Jed.

I have been listening to music since my early teens with my first system comprising a sony walkman. Many a happy hour was spent blissfully listening to music at night.

My current system comprises:
  • Linn LP 12 with Funk FXRII arm, Koetsu Rosewood Plat Cartridge, sited on a Finite Element wall shelf
  • Audio Research Reference 2 phono stage
  • Audio Research Reference CD8
  • Audio Research Reference 3 pre amp
  • Audio Research Reference 110 power amp
  • Vivid Audio G1
  • All cabling Cardas Golden Reference (except power which is Cardas Cross)
  • Dedicated listening room with custom acoustic treatment by Matter Acoustics
  • Dedicated power distribution for the room (separate from the rest of the house)

I spend atleast 4 nights per week listening to music with a mostly jazz slant but broad minded enough to listen to other genres.

I am looking forward to learning from my fellow members

Keep listening
colonel66

Welcome here...and you have a very nice system...congrats. We'd love a picture !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Welcome Colonel66 - you have a great system, and a choice of cables that I highly respect - the Cardas Golden Reference. IMHO they are full bodied, rhythmic and mostly really enjoyable. They should match very well the ARC and the Vivid. I hope to read about your system in WBF soon!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Colonel66, I too think you have a great system. I recently had the pleasure of hearing the G1Giya's with a nice Luxman system. Sound was great and I thought the speaker's were easily some of the best I have ever heard.
I presume you have a large room, as I would think that this would be a requirement with these speakers. If I had the luxury of a large room, these speakers would definitely be on my short list. Not sure about the "looks' and the WAF, but once you hear them....:D

BTW, I also have a relative in Constantia, although most of the family is in Stellenbosh ( they're in the farming biz....strawberries;)).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Would appreciate being able to read more about owner's comments about Vivid (particularly how they compared to other speakers the owners may have auditioned as part of their purchase decision). Plus of course comments from those like DaveyF who have heard them extensively!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Lloyd, I'm going to let colonel66 chime in here first. Suffice it to say that I do think IF the Giya G1's are set up correctly, that they are a contender for SOTA.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, I'm going to let colonel66 chime in here first. Suffice it to say that I do think IF the Giya G1's are set up correctly, that they are a contender for SOTA.

Good to know...have certainly heard consistent praise for these.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Would appreciate being able to read more about owner's comments about Vivid (particularly how they compared to other speakers the owners may have auditioned as part of their purchase decision). Plus of course comments from those like DaveyF who have heard them extensively!

Too bad Leon doesn't seem to be around here. He has the big Vivids in his second system driven by VAC amps.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was commenting to Philip O'Hanlon of On A Higher Note yesterday in his room at THE Show regarding how impressed I am visiting his room every year and how he consistently makes the Vivid speakers regardless of which model, sound terrific time after time

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing