High-End Audio Designers

ggendel

May 26, 2010
My vote is for Nelson Pass. His work on amplifiers is incredible and he has contributed many of his designs and plans for DIYs. When I was in college, I came up with the idea of using a cascode configuration in the output stage. I had just started the design when I tripped across an article by Nelson Pass on that very topic. Soon afterward, he moved on to SE designs, followed by stasis ones, and so on, all along providing a template for those that wanted to do it themselves. I still have an original Threshold preamp and a Pass Labs SE. Years after I had bought the preamp, they had me ship it back to have all the connectors replaced because they felt that they were not holding up to their standards. That's customer service. He's moved on from Threshold and now runs Pass Laboratories to carry on his work in audio excellence.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My vote is for Nelson Pass. His work on amplifiers is incredible and he has contributed many of his designs and plans for DIYs. When I was in college, I came up with the idea of using a cascode configuration in the output stage. I had just started the design when I tripped across an article by Nelson Pass on that very topic. Soon afterward, he moved on to SE designs, followed by stasis ones, and so on, all along providing a template for those that wanted to do it themselves. I still have an original Threshold preamp and a Pass Labs SE. Years after I had bought the preamp, they had me ship it back to have all the connectors replaced because they felt that they were not holding up to their standards. That's customer service. He's moved on from Threshold and now runs Pass Laboratories to carry on his work in audio excellence.

Don't forget Nelson's speaker designs either!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing