Help with DAC Selection

use two dacs myself mytek dsd & astin trew concord one , tube NOS

Attachments

• Concord_DAC_1_Black_Close.jpg
    Concord_DAC_1_Black_Close.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 690
all I've read about the BADA was that it was extremely analitical and cold, which is exactly what I was running away from... But that might've been about the v1, not the newer v2...

huh? the BADA is the antithesis of analytical and cold. the sound is warm and diffuse with a very extended a sweet trebble. i posted in another thread the difference between the Mytek 192 DSD and BADA Mk I. I owned both and kept the Mytek and sold the BADA. to my ears the weiss is colder than both but the mytek offers the same degree of detail and transparency of the weiss that the BADA misses.

huh? the BADA is the antithesis of analytical and cold. the sound is warm and diffuse with a very extended a sweet trebble. i posted in another thread the difference between the Mytek 192 DSD and BADA Mk I. I owned both and kept the Mytek and sold the BADA. to my ears the weiss is colder than both but the mytek offers the same degree of detail and transparency of the weiss that the BADA misses.

Cool, thanks.

How did you hear the Mytek ? Via USB ? How the BADA was connected ?

BADA isn't analytical and cold, but I wouldn't call it warm either.

IMO Alpha DAC is very neutral, has excellent resolution and soundstaging, and at the same time - it is very smooth, it lacks any digital glare.

The BADA is the best example of noise controlled physical layout that I've come across in a commercial DAC - those guys know what they were doing on power supply and isolation for example. However they still went with an S-D chip - if they'd applied the same principles but instead chosen PCM1702 then who knows what greatness they'd have reached... :p

The BADA is the best example of noise controlled physical layout that I've come across in a commercial DAC - those guys know what they were doing on power supply and isolation for example. However they still went with an S-D chip - if they'd applied the same principles but instead chosen PCM1702 then who knows what greatness they'd have reached... :p

I was expecting the BADA to be a "baby" PM2.... not even close! I couldn't get rid of my BADA fast enough!

Having spent a lot of time listening to both the Mytek 192 DSD and the BADA, to my ears, the Calyx Femto DAC wins hands down in almost every respect. IMO, it is by far, the best performing DAC under $10,000. I have seen quite a few previously owned BADA an Mytek DACs offered for sale over the past year, I have yet to see a previously owned Calyx Femto DAC offered for sale. That should tell you something about the satisfaction level experienced by Femto DAC owners. Reviewers have waxed lyrical over the performance of the Femto DAC. Here is one of the better reviews from a reviewer that I have great respect for: http://www.stereomojo.com/CalyxFemtoDACReview.htm/CalyxFemtoDACReview.htm

Having spent a lot of time listening to both the Mytek 192 DSD and the BADA, to my ears, the Calyx Femto DAC wins hands down in almost every respect. IMO, it is by far, the best performing DAC under $10,000. I have seen quite a few previously owned BADA an Mytek DACs offered for sale over the past year, I have yet to see a previously owned Calyx Femto DAC offered for sale. That should tell you something about the satisfaction level experienced by Femto DAC owners. Reviewers have waxed lyrical over the performance of the Femto DAC. Here is one of the better reviews from a reviewer that I have great respect for: http://www.stereomojo.com/CalyxFemtoDACReview.htm/CalyxFemtoDACReview.htm

You would hope it's better than the Mytek at $7k! Even i didn't like the BADA. The best DAC I've heard under $10k is the Playback Designs MPD-3
No wonder you haven't seen any for sale, tonight is the first time I've heard about the brand! Too bad it doesn't do DSD.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing