Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Have you listened to CH at all?
They were on my radar when i was considering Zellaton

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have you listened to CH at all?
They were on my radar when i was considering Zellaton

I have not. I have simply observed the number of super-experienced tube 'philes who have moved across to CH. Gian60, Arnie (TX-owner of Rockport Arrakis, dual-VTL Siegfried II monos), JackD201, etc.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I've heard a fair amount of CH kit - the L1 pre is stunning and the best I've heard bar-none and is definitely not Swiss-sterile.....in fact it has some tube-like attributes which I suspect is why many have made the switch; the A1 power is good but not outstanding, but the M1 is supposed to be in a different league. I should have the L1 and a pair of M1's on demo in the UK in a month or so.

Audionet in the UK is handled by Kevin at Fi Audio who is based in Scotland. I'm hearing the Stern + Heisenberg combination hopefully this weekend, having had the Stern on dem for a while.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
obviously the big darts are still here, and the ML3's and VAC Statements are gone. there is simply no limitation to the darts in my system on any music. I never think about what the amp can't do regardless of the music.

as much as I liked/loved those tube amps there was always some sort of limitation or musical artifact present. I still greatly enjoyed those amps and recognize the attributes they bring, but preferred the unfettered musical direction of the darts to live with.

just for curiosity Mike... and what about the chance to upgrade from 458 to 468 with the big Dartz... do you have planned the upgrade or not?
my best
Marco

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
just for curiosity Mike... and what about the chance to upgrade from 458 to 468 with the big Dartz... do you have planned the upgrade or not?
my best
Marco

Marco......it's a question at this point. only because i'm happy now.

I have one friend who has done the upgrade and says it's a step up. i'm trying to just 'listen' and not really change things, but likely at some point I will do the upgrade, but it's not 100% I will.

I'm just happy enjoying what i'm hearing and not wanting for anything.

best regards,

Mike

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
my best
Marco

Mike is monitoring this shootout to decide if he should go with the wavac:rolleyes:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, it's interesting the cognitive dissonance set up by considering moving from my tube amps to bank vault-like SS Boulder, Gryphon etc.

A world of Apogees, Rockports, Giyas etc opens up.

Of course, so easy to stay w tubes as well...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, it's interesting the cognitive dissonance set up by considering moving from my tube amps to bank vault-like SS Boulder, Gryphon etc.

A world of Apogees, Rockports, Giyas etc opens up.

Of course, so easy to stay w tubes as well...

if you paint yourself into an amplifier corner by choosing tough to drive speakers then you need to make the best of that direction. I see these speaker choices more as a restriction than opportunity (not saying all those you list are tough loads.....but your point infers that). I like the musical equation with speakers allowing that lighter touch......which opens up more amps, and allows them all to operate better in the magic zone of the first watt.

just my viewpoint. YMMV.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I've heard a fair amount of CH kit - the L1 pre is stunning and the best I've heard bar-none and is definitely not Swiss-sterile.....in fact it has some tube-like attributes which I suspect is why many have made the switch; the A1 power is good but not outstanding, but the M1 is supposed to be in a different league. I should have the L1 and a pair of M1's on demo in the UK in a month or so.

Audionet in the UK is handled by Kevin at Fi Audio who is based in Scotland. I'm hearing the Stern + Heisenberg combination hopefully this weekend, having had the Stern on dem for a while.

Please report back on your findings?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Of course!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Just to add a little spice, Vitus Masterpiece monoblocks will be here 10 October for a visit.

Ok, slight correction, it's the Signature series that he's bringing round, pre and power.
If i like the house sound Masterpieces will follow at a later date

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The signature series did poorly with the Allnic pre. Also from what I understand the power is too less for your system

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I heard the SM-011's and SS-103. Liked the SS-103 but ended up going elsewhere. Had the SL-103 too - easily outperformed for the price.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Can i ask what speakers you are driving heihei?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Wilson Benesch Resolutions

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great thread...looking forward to impressions!

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

Everything I've read about the Stern and Heisenbergs, point to them being damn near magic in the information they extract and how they deliver it. I am anxious to hear your findings.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
if you paint yourself into an amplifier corner by choosing tough to drive speakers then you need to make the best of that direction. I see these speaker choices more as a restriction than opportunity (not saying all those you list are tough loads.....but your point infers that). I like the musical equation with speakers allowing that lighter touch......which opens up more amps, and allows them all to operate better in the magic zone of the first watt.

just my viewpoint. YMMV.

Absolutely agree that on that one metric alone, it is great to maximize optionality on amps. At the same time, it is interesting you have ended up with the mighty DartZeel 458s. I look at my own speakers (95db efficient and one of the friendlier loads generally from my rudimentary understanding of its measurements) and the fact that I enjoy driving them with the big Gryphon. I also know at least 4 Alexandria owners who use Boulder 3050 monos, Gryphon Mephisto monos, Berning Quad monos, plus a former Gryphon Poseiden owner (4 tower but the bass towers are self-powered) who alternated w/ Gryphon Colosseum monos & Wavac 833 MkII (monos).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing