Heat!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Update. My Jeff Rowland now runs a LOT cooler after its service by Jeff. The upgrades and repairs have resulted in not only a better sounding amp, but in this case...a cooler running one too. When I look at some of the tube amps that are currently on the market...like the big Carver's and others that use upwards of sixteen or more tubes per channel, I just shake my head in amazement! The heat these beasts give off must be almost intolerable after a short period.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Not if you have a big room Davey. One may not even notice the heat.

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
When I had Audio Research Ref 600 Mk lll amps they used 32 tubes per channel plus another 8 in my preamp. I had to put in a dedicated AC for just that room. I now have SET and no problem but a slight amount of heat

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I have an all tube system and heat is welcome in the cold winter months. The system is in the family room with 15' ceilings and central air but I rotate a Hegel H30 in the summer. The ARC REF250 with all the power tubes generates too much heat. It gets humid in my area and don't like the feel of ac.

Now looking to add a SS pre ... another good excuse to go shopping.;)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
When I had Audio Research Ref 600 Mk lll amps they used 32 tubes per channel plus another 8 in my preamp. I had to put in a dedicated AC for just that room. I now have SET and no problem but a slight amount of heat

I had the Ref 600s too. In a relatively small room, I think it was 20x17. I used to crack the window even in the middle of a Chicago winter. I went out and got Rowland Model 9s and a Rowland Coherence preamp for the summer months. Had to do it, the Ref 600s were unusable in the summer with all of those tubes. Not to mention they'd fail at least twice a year and have to be sent back to Minnesota.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing