Headphones: when is good enough the time to stop

Agincourt

Jun 22, 2021
I have been on a headphone search like many and am not an audio expert. Got a pair of SHP5000 that I mostly liked. Then I got the HD6xx that I thought sounded veiled so I returned them. Just picked up a pair of Senn HD660s and the Sennheiser veil is gone and they sound great. Now a part of me wants to buy the Focal Elex from Massdrop. Not sure if that is going to provide improvement over the HD660s and the Elex has tons of quality issue.

So, how do you decided enough is enough and become satisfied

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If you like what you have, stop listening to new phones. If I listen to enough new components or speakers, chances are I will find something that I like enough to take a leap. If you have the resources to continue to lay into the hobby then its part of your entertainment budget. Being content is important. I settled on Senn HD600 and an OTL tube headphone amplifier and have been satisfied for years.

Reactions: Andrew S.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I try headphones only at shows, like Munich, so my listening is limited only at shows. Unlike regular hifi equipment though I assume for headphones set up issues at show are insignificant. I never liked them, except for one at an UK show. It was the viva 2a3 headamp with a hifiman headphone. Loved it

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I hate headphones. So take this with a grain of salt:

I think fit of the device on *your* head and ears is a big component of the overal experience; It shapes how they sound to a certain degree but also how comfortable you are when listening.
Ymmv

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Generally speaking".. enough is enough.." when you are dead. At least that is the mantra for most audiophiles.
Stick with what you have until you hear something better. Have you heard electrostatics driven by tubed?

Reactions: Lampie519

Agincourt

Jun 22, 2021
Generally speaking".. enough is enough.." when you are dead. At least that is the mantra for most audiophiles.
Stick with what you have until you hear something better. Have you heard electrostatics driven by tubed?
No, have not heard that

Agincourt

Jun 22, 2021
UPDATE: Bought the HD660s yesterday and wasn't so sure about the sound. So, I downloaded a system EQ/sound processor for my MAC (Boom 2) and messed around with the EQ settings. Still not great. Finally, used one of their stock EQ patterns (vocals) and enabled the "Ambience" setting to the lowest level and the sound was MAGIC, so dynamic and clean. I was blown away listening to Steely Dan's New Frontier and Ruby Baby, along with the Concert for George recordings. Now I'm wondering if I could even do better? From what I have read, the Focal Elex would be a nominal improvement at best but to gain a wider soundstage and better sound I would have to get to the Sennheiser 800 series. Lots of money for that path and I would have to accumulate funds and courage for that purchase

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To be nore specific..
I could been content with my hip dac Sony combo.that is until I heard the diablo Senheiser combo.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
UPDATE: Bought the HD660s yesterday and wasn't so sure about the sound. So, I downloaded a system EQ/sound processor for my MAC (Boom 2) and messed around with the EQ settings. Still not great. Finally, used one of their stock EQ patterns (vocals) and enabled the "Ambience" setting to the lowest level and the sound was MAGIC, so dynamic and clean. I was blown away listening to Steely Dan's New Frontier and Ruby Baby, along with the Concert for George recordings. Now I'm wondering if I could even do better? From what I have read, the Focal Elex would be a nominal improvement at best but to gain a wider soundstage and better sound I would have to get to the Sennheiser 800 series. Lots of money for that path and I would have to accumulate funds and courage for that purchase
If you 800 the 800s is a bit dull. Since most have chain issues and the hd 800 is close to naked sound. If bad match of amp it’s not pleasant.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Have you heard electrostatics driven by tubed?
For more then 25 years now ... and still cannot get enough...

They are just a bit oversized.... 2.4m by 1m ....

Does this qualify ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For more then 25 years now ... and still cannot get enough...

They are just a bit oversized.... 2.4m by 1m ....

Does this qualify ?
Yes
And I bet you can still do better

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For a different perspective See Steve Gutemberg The Audioophiliac:
Five Reasons Not To Buy New Speakers

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Gregadd , I assume you are referring to the
Here is what Steve lists as the arguments why not to buy new speakers:

1. You just bought new speakers.
2. Can't afford it.
3. The speakers you currently have are capable of producing a surprisingly new sound. Move your speakers to explore a new sound from an old pair of speakers.
4. Try not to change your speakers more often than every three years.
5. If you like what you have, do not search for new speakers, stop constantly looking for a new thing, as it will only get you frustrated.

These are more of philosophical, harmonious life guidelines. This advice could successfully be applied to any other sphere of life.

It pretty much comes down to a few questions:
Can you get new spears, do you have to buy new speakers and what is wrong with the speakers you are using right now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing