Gryphon Mephisto & Pandora

Peter C

Dec 6, 2022
Does anyone know if Gryphon will be continuing with the Mephisto and Pandora now that the Commander and Apex are out?
Thanks,
Peter

Sonicbum

Feb 18, 2023
YES
Pandora and Mephisto will continue well into the future. Apex and Commander are more expensive models and were not intended as replacemetns.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
YES
Pandora and Mephisto will continue well into the future. Apex and Commander are more expensive models and were not intended as replacemetns.
I agree, Mephisto/Pandora will remain. I have both and enjoy them everyday. I am considering going to the APEX/COMMANDER. If anyone is considering the Mephisto/Pandora keep in touch through PM and I'll keep you informed when I get the urge. No problem coming for a demo to my home, time will tell and we shall see!

Reactions: hogen

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I agree, Mephisto/Pandora will remain. I have both and enjoy them everyday. I am considering going to the APEX/COMMANDER. If anyone is considering the Mephisto/Pandora keep in touch through PM and I'll keep you informed when I get the urge. No problem coming for a demo to my home, time will tell and we shall see!
As you should! The Mephisto is a truly awesome amplifier. Self-contained, a work of art and perhaps most significantly, 'complete'. I think 'complete' is one of the most important elements of long-term success (of any design). Some designs are great here, lack there and somehow after the initial reaction around the good parts...are ultimately somehow 'unbalanced' which leads to a search for the perceived missing part. On the other hand, when a component (no matter how old or designed to a given pricepoint or a given technology) is well voiced and well designed...somehow in my experience, they are able to deliver a musical experience that is within its own envelope 'complete' and balanced. Zanden is perhaps my favorite long-standing example of this.

The Mephisto is a gargantuanly powerful, balanced and extraordinarily detailed performer, but perhaps what I admired most was its balance.

That I had the opportunity to go another step in my own journey (for those who might ask about Robert Koda) is neither here nor there...I find the Mephisto is a legendary design for a reason.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
As you should! The Mephisto is a truly awesome amplifier. Self-contained, a work of art and perhaps most significantly, 'complete'. I think 'complete' is one of the most important elements of long-term success (of any design). Some designs are great here, lack there and somehow after the initial reaction around the good parts...are ultimately somehow 'unbalanced' which leads to a search for the perceived missing part. On the other hand, when a component (no matter how old or designed to a given pricepoint or a given technology) is well voiced and well designed...somehow in my experience, they are able to deliver a musical experience that is within its own envelope 'complete' and balanced. Zanden is perhaps my favorite long-standing example of this.

The Mephisto is a gargantuanly powerful, balanced and extraordinarily detailed performer, but perhaps what I admired most was its balance.

That I had the opportunity to go another step in my own journey (for those who might ask about Robert Koda) is neither here nor there...I find the Mephisto is a legendary design for a reason.
Lloyd, well said. Balance is what distinguishes this amplifier...I have often attempted to explain in similar terms...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing