Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As I take a short break from my role as moderator I thought I'd tell you a little bit about my audio journey.
I got my first exposure to music when my teen age sister was awarded a hi-fi console for her birthday. My mom was single handled raising eight children. She wanted my sister to stay at home because she was going to her girlfriends house to listen to music. She also had seven sisters and brothers to babysit. You might imagine that was no small expense. It was the golden age of Motown and other greats like Atlantic. It was more about the music then. I spent my money buying records.

Later own that same sister got married and her husband got his hands on a used Eico tube amp. In exchange for babysitting I got to listen. I had no idea why it sounded so much better than anything I ever heard before. Most notably was it seemed to play louder and louder. I did not know what dynamic range was.
The raining stereo store in Metro DC was Meyer Emco. I guess we would call it mid-fi. I hung out there all the time. All the stores where in the suburbs. I got my first car out of college and would drive around what is now the infamous beltway. By pure serendipity I found a small boutique that carried the legendary Audio Research. I think it was the SP-6, D79, Kenwood turntable and mini JR speakers. I sat there with my mouth open.
While in college I had purchased AR speakers, AR turntable and Sony receiver. Needless to say the sound was no where the EIco integrated. While in college I discovered AUDIO magazine. In the back there was an ad for something called the absolute sound.Some weird geek called Harry Pearson was trying to get me to buy tubes and pay ridiculous amounts of money that I did not have any way.
It was strange because i always visited stores, persons selling out of their house and the like. I finished law school and started to save a little money. I still would not buy.
My brother and best friend died. I just figured life was to short. It just made no sense for someone who loved hi-fi as much as I did, to not have a top notch stereo.
I just could not commit to tubes. As luck would have it NYAL had just gone out of business and Myer- Emco was looking to dump their demo Moscode 300. A hybrid tube amp made by another weirdo Harvey Rosenberg. I got a real bargain. At the time the CJ Pv5 was dominating the market. I went down the now defunct Excaliber in Alexandria, Va. That's where I first saw and heard the CLS. I then traveled to Rockville Maryland to hear the SOTA turntable. This guy was selling out of his house. He had this huge talking bird. He was the ultimate hobbyist and frequently forgot to collect the money. He sold me a Sota on credit! Not credit card but on my promise to pay. Those were the days.
I took it all home and it sounded like crap. Boy was I was depressed. I wrote Harry Pearson about how bad it sounded. He sent me a post card and talked about something called break in. One night I came home and put on my favorite record. It was as though the storm had passed. It was magic. The rest is history and I've been addicted ever since.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
That's a lot of background Greg, and a good story too.

FYI: looked at you profile.....
Referrals

Hey that "1" is me!

I'm up to 5 Referrals so that's almost like you having 6.

I'm glad the timing on my exit from the other forum matched up with this forum starting. It is a good match.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hey that "1" is me!

I'm up to 5 Referrals so that's almost like you having 6.

I'm glad the timing on my exit from the other forum matched up with this forum starting. It is a good match.[/QUOTE]

I think I get credit for NSGARCH;)
Glad I found you. I gotta get busy recuiting. Of course many of my potential recruits were signed by others. :D

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
But as my lady on GPS says, Your destination is ahead. You have arrived ;)

... a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing