Great buy on arc ref 5?

This posting on Audiogon for an ARC REF 5 for only $4250 appears to be a great opportunity to be ripped off. The seller is in Spain and has zero feedback. The REF 5 is listed as being in 9/10 condition but there are no pictures.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-audio-research-ref-5-preamplifier-2013-10-09-preamplifiers-spain

Not for my money Mark. Even if legit it is a royal PITA for shipping and then customs plus tax on stated amount before you even get home to make sure it plays

But that's just my $4250 ;)

I think you would pay $4250 + shipping and never see your money again or receive the REF 5.

Well, Ebay is very good at protecting buyers so long as the complaint is filed timely.

Also, another problem is that unit is set for 220 volts, which means effort or cost to convert the voltage.

Not worth the risk. I was offered a Ref 5 for around $6K - 110v from official dealer (trade-in). Then you want it upgraded to Ref 5SE. Turns out AR does not have the parts and wait for an upgrade is indefinite (this was 8 months ago - may have changed). Just stay on the lookout for a US based unit. They do show up.

It's the old saying" If it's too good to be true....".

I think $4250 is not too good to be true - reasonable price given the complexity and risk. Only way to do it is use escrow if the seller agrees. I believe Paypal has escrow service.

I think $4250 is not too good to be true - reasonable price given the complexity and risk. Only way to do it is use escrow if the seller agrees. I believe Paypal has escrow service.

REF 3s are selling for more than $4250.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing