GG, Nagra HD, Aqua Formula, and SGM server.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Not a user of Mark's Sablon Reserva Elite USB, but over 3 yrs I've upgraded a whole Audience Au24 loom to first Sablon Panatella/Corona loom, and now currently Reservas
The stuff is spectacular
An amazing tonal density and speed, w no seeming obscuring of transparency or highlighting of frequency extremes
Dare I say it, truly neutral, coherent and pretty darn near perfect
Have heard the new data-only USB on the SGM/Dac8, and it brings a stress-free presentation that really competes w analog
Mark Coles truly is the MasterChef

Mark is the only cable builder who owns his own SGM ! IMHO the low noise floor of the SGM puts Mark in a position to have more insight about the key drivers in USB performance

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm just configuring my setup in the new loft audio space that I've spent a small fortune on
It's an amazing space, w already vastly impvd stock power and acoustics than my compromised inner London apartment
Some ancillaries like Mooks are shown to be counterproductive, some like Entreq grounding are moderately enhancing, and some like Mark's Reservas are already proving to be more dramatic
Maybe not as much upstick in this new room than in London going from Au24, but definitely positive all round
It's the ability to have a full tone w no slowing of music, and the ability to be neutral but not bland or uninvolving, that is pretty unique to my ears
More people really owe it to themselves to investigate

Last edited:

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I've got the powerless "2017" Sablon usb cable now for three weeks and the results are quite spectacular. The inky backgrounds and superb low noise floor brings out a lot of details that I never was able to hear before. With my dual streamer setup being down at the moment, I am wondering if there is still room for improvement left. But using the Sablon usb cable in a less then optimal setup already yields very significant results. While I tried other usb cables in the past (Audioquest Diamond, PPA red usb) this cable brought the biggest positive change in my setup. The real test will come when the dual setup is up and running again, since it provides a lower noise floor and I expect the Sablon usb cable to perform even better. Needless to say this cable is a no-brainer for it's price.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Spirit, Mike and others,
Interested in the Sablon 2017 unpowered usb cable for the nagra hd.
Did you have a lead where i could ask to demo or do i need to purchase direct?
Thanks
Chris

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
PM me direct w yr email and I'll put you in contact
Or just email Mark as per his website
I started w a trial Corona power cord 4 years ago, and now have a whole Reserva loom incl 6 PCs, 4 ICs and spkr cbls
A whole substantial upgrade in itself, not just marginal ancillary

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Chris, I've emailed Mark for you

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Spirit, Mike and others,
Interested in the Sablon 2017 unpowered usb cable for the nagra hd.
Did you have a lead where i could ask to demo or do i need to purchase direct?
Thanks
Chris
Can the Nagra USB module work with an unpaired cable?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, Nagra HD does not need USB power.

Sablon 2017 significantly lowers the noise floor and delivers more micro detail, very impressive

+1. now with 10 days continuous play the Sablon 2017 USB continues to open up and dig a bit deeper into the musical information. with the Aqua Formula my version is powered.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
Have been using the unpowered Sablon 2017 for 3 weeks now going from a LPS1 powered Microrendu to Lampizator Atlantic. Absolutely delightful cable this is - easily improved upon a Wireworld platinum and Lampi's Silver Shadow cables I also have. Mark is a pleasure to deal with.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I contacted Sablon by email a few days ago but haven't heard from them. I hope they read this thread and then discover my email :). What is the price on this cable?

JP

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Jep...there is one listed for sale on Audiogon by Mark....its $400.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Connected with Mark and have ordered his sablon usb cable. Looking forward to receiving it and getting it in the system. Thanks to folks in the thread for highlighting and connecting me to sablon.
Chris

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Chris, you are in for fun and enlightenment in equal measure
Or not LOL!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I contacted Sablon by email a few days ago but haven't heard from them. I hope they read this thread and then discover my email :). What is the price on this cable?

JP

Hi JP, I did indeed receive your email and replied promptly. After having seen this post of yours, I have both resent the original email reply and also forwarded it by PM. Hopefully, one of these messages will have gotten through to you. Thanks Mark

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've now heard well sorted comparisons of the SGM w both Dac8 and GG
IMHO, Dac8 has edge on timing, dynamics and low noise flr, GG on tonality, heft and texture
I'd love to know where Formula fits on this spectrum, is it the perfect hybrid of both presentations w Nagra HD-like flow for good measure, or does it occupy a totally different space?
For me, Dac8 speed w GG tone maxxed w HQP in SGM would be totally killer

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Got the PM :).

QUOTE=Sablon Audio;433874]Hi JP, I did indeed receive your email and replied promptly. After having seen this post of yours, I have both resent the original email reply and also forwarded it by PM. Hopefully, one of these messages will have gotten through to you. Thanks Mark[/QUOTE]

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing