Getting in the Spirit(s)

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
The big boxes possessed with spirits have arrived on Halloween. How appropriate. Going to replace my G1's. Can't wait to get them unboxed and running. Will report on my observations. I am hoping Rodney was right on with what he reported. No reason to believe he wasn't as he was a great person.

~Todd

Attachments

• Spirits1.jpg
    Spirits1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Spirits2.jpg
    Spirits2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 23

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I got the spirits in the same spot as the G1's with the same toe-in (20 degrees). At this point they aren't even close to being broken in with maybe 10 hours. But already they are doing some very cool stuff. The spirits have much greater tonal density and timbre. Toms, drums, shakers, wood blocks etc. They all have much more accurate Timbre (at least to my ears). The spirits also are more three dimensional. Much more depth to the soundstage. It Is hard to estimate how much of what reviewers and others say is hyperbole. All I can say is Rodney had good ears.

Here are a couple pics. Please forgive the mess in my room. I am experimenting a little with acoustic treatments.

~Todd

Attachments

• spirit2.jpg
    spirit2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Spirit1.jpg
    Spirit1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 48

caesar

May 30, 2010
Congrats on getting one of the best box speakers on the planet! Definitely the most under-rated speaker on the planet.
What amps will you be using?

Reactions: sbo6

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks Caesar. I do love the vivid sound. I would guess they are under-rated because of the look of the speaker. It is funny how the human brain norms to certain things. People have seen so many speakers look like a rectangular box that anything that doesn't look that way causes cognitive dissonance. Clearly, the shape of the Giya line is superior from an acoustic engineering perspective (no cabinet diffraction) just not what people expect to see. I personally find them beautiful in a very sculptured and artistic way.

I am currently using the AudioNet Max amplifiers with the Stern preamp. I have tried a lot of other amplifiers with mixed results. (Spectral, Jeff Rowland, Threshold, Luxman, a few class D amps, Gryphon). The woofers in the big vivids do take a fair amount of current to get the best out of them. I have heard other big name amps but not in my system (Dartzeel, Constellation, Jadis). The new MSB amp looks interesting. Maybe I will get to hear it someday.

~Todd

Reactions: caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks Caesar. I do love the vivid sound. I would guess they are under-rated because of the look of the speaker. It is funny how the human brain norms to certain things. People have seen so many speakers look like a rectangular box that anything that doesn't look that way causes cognitive dissonance. Clearly, the shape of the Giya line is superior from an acoustic engineering perspective (no cabinet diffraction) just not what people expect to see. I personally find them beautiful in a very sculptured and artistic way.

I am currently using the AudioNet Max amplifiers with the Stern preamp. I have tried a lot of other amplifiers with mixed results. (Spectral, Jeff Rowland, Threshold, Luxman, a few class D amps, Gryphon). The woofers in the big vivids do take a fair amount of current to get the best out of them. I have heard other big name amps but not in my system (Dartzeel, Constellation, Jadis). The new MSB amp looks interesting. Maybe I will get to hear it someday.

~Todd

Thanks! Very interesting about Audionet. I've only heard Audionet with YG, and it's a very formidable combination. But Audionet got a very lukewarm review from the Stereophile Wilson reviewer, who likes D'Agostino and Audio Research with Wilsons. So Audionet got seriously shafted.

I really like Vivid with Luxman, which is a popular combination at US shows.

But by far the best I've heard Vivid sound is with CAT amps. In my experience, CAT is the only tube amp that can drive the popular (inefficient) box speakers these day. (The best I've heard Magico sound is with CAT also.)

Enjoy!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
If you already have the Stern pre-amp, then you MUST try the Heisenbergs. Completely different league to the MAX. My only regret is I never heard them on the Giyas when I demo'd them!

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks! Very interesting about Audionet. I've only heard Audionet with YG, and it's a very formidable combination. But Audionet got a very lukewarm review from the Stereophile Wilson reviewer, who likes D'Agostino and Audio Research with Wilsons. So Audionet got seriously shafted.

I really like Vivid with Luxman, which is a popular combination at US shows.

But by far the best I've heard Vivid sound is with CAT amps. In my experience, CAT is the only tube amp that can drive the popular (inefficient) box speakers these day. (The best I've heard Magico sound is with CAT also.)

Enjoy!

Caesar, I agree that AudioNet got shafted by Stereophile. That was the weirdest review I have ever read. He goes on and on about how he used too much contact cleaner and then does this A-B-A test thing with his Audiophile group where he wasn't even comparing the products in the same conditions. Just come away with they compare favorably with Pass Labs.

I have been interested in CAT amps. Hard to get a real demo. I did hear them at AXPONA back in April but that was a pretty short time in show conditions.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
If you already have the Stern pre-amp, then you MUST try the Heisenbergs. Completely different league to the MAX. My only regret is I never heard them on the Giyas when I demo'd them!

Heisenberg's are interesting too. I should hope they are in a different league than the Max considering they are 3.5X the price. At these price points I need to hear the amp in my system to fully judge it's merits. As far as I know the only way to hear a pair (other than at a show) is to go to New Jersey.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Heisenberg's are interesting too. I should hope they are in a different league than the Max considering they are 3.5X the price. At these price points I need to hear the amp in my system to fully judge it's merits. As far as I know the only way to hear a pair (other than at a show) is to go to New Jersey.

Let me know and you and I will fly to Bill's ;)

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
What a brilliant upgrade! I am really considering the upgrade. I did a small S1 to S2 upgrade with the tweeter and mid tweeter, and I think is quite a big improvement already. I always felt the mid bass of the G1 is quite week, and if the G1s does fix that, I am very tempted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing