Genesis Debuts the Tribute Loudspeakers at Capital Audio F 2022

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
For Immediate Release: November 7, 2022

Genesis Debuts the Tribute Loudspeakers at Capital Audio Fest 2022​

WOODINVILLE, WA – In celebration of the 30th anniversary of Genesis loudspeakers and the 20th anniversary of Genesis Advanced Technologies, we announce the debut of the Genesis Tribute Loudspeakers: the epitome of technologies invented by Genesis founder Arnie Nudell, and advanced with the latest innovations in materials and technology by current designer, Gary Leonard Koh.

The Tribute hearkens back to the design of the original IRS: it features the iconic wide wings, the servo-woofer, the dipole line-source, the planar magnetic midrange and tweeter and a crossover that is “as simple as possible.” In addition, it showcases the advanced technologies of modern materials, a suspension with alignment/azimuth adjustment and 20 years of evolution and improvements.

The Genesis Tribute is available by commission only, with choice of veneer and finish.

For Capital Audio Fest 2022, the Genesis Tribute will be paired with VPI Industries’ Avenger Direct Turntable, VPI-Genesis collaboration Avenger Phonostage, and Merrill Audio Element 116 MX Monoblock Amplifiers and Kayleigh Preamplifier. All support elements for the system – cables and equipment foundations, are Genesis designed, providing an incredible absolute fidelity® ecosystem for the discerning music lover.
Tribute_dramatic.jpg

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
More information: https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/tribute Including Tech Specs and Brochure, but I thought you might like to see the features and details here. :)

The Genesis Tribute Loudspeaker​

A 20th Anniversary Celebration​

The Genesis Tribute loudspeakers are designed by Genesis Advanced Technologies’ designer and CEO Gary Leonard Koh as a tribute to Arnie Nudell, the founder of Genesis loudspeakers and all the technologies he invented. It features the iconic wide wings introduced to audiophiles and music lovers with the IRS, the servo-woofer, the dipole line-source, the planar magnetic midrange and tweeter and a crossover that is “as simple as possible, but no simpler.” In addition, it showcases the advanced technologies of modern materials, a suspension with alignment/azimuth adjustment and 20 years of evolution and improvements.

Arnie Nudell’s Legacy – 50 years of High-End Audio​

In 1970, Arnie introduced the world to the servo-controlled bass system with the Infinity™ Servo-Statik 1. He also defined “High-End Audio” – J. Gordon Holt called the SS-1 “appallingly expensive” but when he “finally had to let it go….. still feel rather as though a member of the family has passed away.” Launched in 1970, the Infinity Servo-Static 1 was the same price as a Volkswagen Beetle.

Arnie was one of the best loudspeaker designers of all time. Owners of his loudspeakers, going back to the RS1, IRS, Beta, Kappa and the various Genesis models, will never get off the “Nudell train” and will keep the same loudspeakers for the rest of their lives. The trifecta of awesome bass, midrange clarity and airy highs keep owners devoted and addicted.

Servo-Controlled Bass​

As a physicist, Arnie recognized that real-world physics prevented a woofer from accurately responding to the music signal because of its mass, which follows the laws of inertia and momentum. Inertia causes the woofer to be slow to start. Then when it is moving, momentum keeps it moving, even after the audio signal has stopped. Servo-control uses amplifier power to overcome inertia, and then more power to defeat momentum. With servo-control and enough power, the woofer can be made to appear massless in order to more accurately respond to the musical signal. It starts immediately and stops on a dime, precisely what an ideal woofer should do.

Planar Magnetic “Ribbon” Transducers​

To match the “massless” woofers, Arnie developed the Electro-Magnetic Induction Tweeter (EMIT) and the Electro-Magnetic Induction Midrange (EMIM), with voice-coils etched on a substrate. The extremely light diaphragms of the EMIT and EMIM were as fast in the highs and mids as the servo-controlled woofers were in the bass.

Line-Source Loudspeakers​

Arnie introduced the line-source loudspeaker to music lovers in 1976 with the Infinity QLS-1. A line-source reproduces music as a cylindrical waveform which attenuates at 3dB with every doubling of distance, whereas a point source (with a conical waveform) attenuates at 6dB with every doubling of distance. Since small changes in distance result in much smaller changes in loudness, the sweet-spot for a line-source loudspeaker is much larger than a conventional point-source loudspeaker.

With greater efficiency, less power is required, resulting in a loudspeaker that sounds more relaxed and effortless, with greater transparency and dynamics. Another advantage is that the seating height does not matter. Without vertical dispersion, there is no sound bouncing from the ceiling and floor to interfere with rock-solid imaging.

Dipolar Radiation Pattern​

With the IRS, Arnie also brought the wide-winged dipole loudspeaker to the music lover. This brought the advantages of ease of placement and a more natural, spacious sound. The dipole radiation pattern reduces the energy emanating from the sides of the speakers which also means that you don’t need to use acoustic treatment at “the point of first reflection”. Together with the line-source, wall bounce, ceiling bounce and floor bounce are reduced. This allows the listener to experience the music as recorded, without distracting reflections and room interaction which plague most other speaker systems.

Musical Amplification​

While they delivered reference quality sound, Arnie’s crossover designs unfortunately ate amplifiers for lunch. Hence, he brought audiophiles a bunch of great amplifier designs too. The Infinity HCA was the first hybrid tube/solid-state amplifiers with tubes in every stage except at the output, for which he used power transistors in Class A mode. The Infinity DSP SWAMP (SWitching AMPlifier) was the first high-end audio Class D amplifier in the world. The Genesis Stealth amplifier had adjustable bias and could go from full Class A to full Class B and everywhere in between.

30 years of Genesis Development​

When Arnie founded Genesis Technologies in 1991, he designed a round version of the EMIT which he called the Genesis Ribbon Tweeter – nevertheless, it was still a planar magnetic tweeter. For the mid-range, instead of using multiple EMIM in an array to achieve a pseudo line-source, Arnie used a single 60-inch midrange planar magnetic midrange sourced from Carver Corporation, and later, 48-inch and 72-inch versions from Bohlender-Graebner. The Genesis 1 introduced in 1993 had six servo-circuits per woofer tower, instead of the single one in the IRS V.

The Genesis Tribute pays homage to all the technologies invented by Arnie Nudell (except for the part about eating amplifiers), improved and evolved by Genesis Advanced Technologies’ designer Gary Koh.

Gary is an autodidact. In the first exercise of his mathematical design chops, Gary redesigned the servo-control circuitry in 2005 to react faster and using less feedback to get a more natural and musical result. Gary launched the Genesis Ring-Radiator Ribbon Tweeter in 2013, improving the dispersion of the original Genesis round tweeter to match the horizontal dispersion of the EMIT with even better vertical dispersion.

In 2016, he redeveloped the Genesis midrange ribbon, carefully selecting modern films and materials to reduce distortion and improve power handling. Gary’s crossover designs are easier to drive and more coherent across the audio frequency spectrum.

The Tribute embodies all of Arnie’s legacy technologies and adds 15 years of evolution under Gary. In style, the Genesis Tribute harkens back to the broad wings of Arnie’s vintage designs with a modern aesthetic to make an elegant statement.

To the Future and Beyond​

When Gary founded Genesis Advanced Technologies in 2002, he hired Arnie as Chief Designer and learned from him until Arnie’s retirement in 2006. Gary continued over the years to understand and improve upon the engineering to build the best possible version of Genesis speakers, keeping the core philosophy of sound reproduction intact: resolution of the smallest difference of dynamic contrast from ppp to fff; preservation of harmonic integrity and rhythm; and re-creation of the ambience and space of the performance.

The Genesis Tribute is a statement of Genesis Advanced Technologies today: Built on an exemplary foundation, advancing with the latest innovations in materials and technology for absolute fidelity®.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations to you and Gary for designing and launching this new loudspeaker! It looks great!

I guess your SuperSub would be a natural addition to supplement the on-board 12” woofer?

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations to you and Gary for designing and launching this new loudspeaker! It looks great!

I guess your SuperSub would be a natural addition to supplement the on-board 12” woofer?
Thank you, and why yes. The SuperSub is a natural addition to supplement any of our loudspeakers. We do know that many are "all about that bass" and that's how it came to be in the first place. ;)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Carolyn, I cannot wait to hear your new speaker at the CAF show and have the chance to meet you and Gary. The new speaker looks fantastic and I'm sure it sounds even better. My first exposure to Arnie's work was at Mike Kay's, Lyric HiFi NYC where I learned most of what I know about audio from this occasionally impatient high-end audio pioneer and great man!

As many know, Mike was Arnie's biggest fan and considered his loudspeakers a true reference. Whenever Arnie came to New York, Mike and he would attend the symphony together to remind themselves what the goal of any audio system is. Were Mike alive today he would admire how Gary has kept Arnie's legacy alive but as importantly, continuously built upon it. Congratulations on the release of your newest loudspeaker - it looks to be a real winner!

Lyric-Hi-Fi-outside.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Color me greedy....will you be comparing it to a live source?

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Carolyn, I cannot wait to hear your new speaker at the CAF show and have the chance to meet you and Gary. The new speaker looks fantastic and I'm sure it sounds even better. My first exposure to Arnie's work was at Mike Kay's, Lyric HiFi NYC where I learned most of what I know about audio from this occasionally impatient high-end audio pioneer and great man!

As many know, Mike was Arnie's biggest fan and considered his loudspeakers a true reference. Whenever Arnie came to New York, Mike and he would attend the symphony together to remind themselves what the goal of any audio system is. Were Mike alive today he would admire how Gary has kept Arnie's legacy alive but as importantly, continuously built upon it. Congratulations on the release of your newest loudspeaker - it looks to be a real winner!

View attachment 100087
Thank you. :) We are in the Frederick Room. Seek Gary out there. It would be a pleasure to meet you too, but I am actually not attending this time.

Reactions: Alrainbow

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Color me greedy....will you be comparing it to a live source?
We did that with the Prime at PAF - as it was a local show and we know local musicians. For CAF... I was looking for / sourcing musicians there but eventually left it to our partners there on the East Coast, so I cannot confirm that it's actually happening.

Reactions: Alrainbow

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
We did that with the Prime at PAF - as it was a local show and we know local musicians. For CAF... I was looking for / sourcing musicians there but eventually left it to our partners there on the East Coast, so I cannot confirm that it's actually happening.
What is the pricing in the USA and will these be sold direct? Thank you!

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
What is the pricing in the USA and will these be sold direct? Thank you!
The indicative price is US$120,000 - but as they are commissioned, choice of veneer / finish will affect the price. If you don't live near a dealer, we can make other arrangements - the main thing is to make sure that we can support the delivery and installation in your room. :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Of course we had a Live vs Recorded. Ever since I met Isabeau at the CAF 2019, I've had an aural memory of her harp, and her album and I know the difference between the harp and the album. So, I've been using her recording as a reference for fast transients, not much of a body to the note, and the sustain.

isabeau.jpg

Today, after her performance, several of the audience came up to buy her album. But I thought something was different. I went up to her to ask her if it was a different harp she brought, that was not the one recorded in the album (her voice was spot on).

An embarrassed look crossed her face, and she said that she had been so busy all day that she had not had time to re-tune her harp after it went out of tune. She promised that she would absolutely tune it before coming to our room again on Saturday and Sunday 2:30pm.

So, come on by!!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Many thanks Ron. Yes, the SuperSub would be a great addition, but even in the large room at CAF, the two 12-inch woofers kept overloading the room. Playing Pink Floyd: Pulse on vinyl.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

It was great to meet you Gary. Thanks for coming up and saying Hi.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So I did catch the harp players act.

Reactions: carolkoh

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I also had a demo with Ann Brisson

CHANCE TO OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY
On the second day I entered the suite with some Ella/Armstrong playing. Then switched to Sarah Vaughn.
We all know Gary is a big band fan. He decided to have a "shoot out" with two vintage Count Basie recordings. I will let Gary tell the full story.
Imaging was 3d
Dynamics were explosive without being loud.
Bass was deep and tight.
Tonal balance was very good.
If the speaker has flaws they are errors of omission. I did not hear any faults.
At $120k it definitely relquires a commitment. If you are in the market give it a listen.

O

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
that harp girl killed most all rooms she palyed in , made me wonder why did you invite her lol . garys room it showewd how accurate and true to live sound it was . i felt bad for thge girl as she had to play excatly in sync with her lp and vocals at a given volume to stay up to garys system . it takes a lot skill to achive what gary does as well as guts . he has done this now a few times i heard myself . amazing how true it was .

Last edited:
Reactions: garylkoh

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Reactions: garylkoh

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
CHANCE TO OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY
On the second day I entered the suite with some Ella/Armstrong playing. Then switched to Sarah Vaughn.
We all know Gary is a big band fan. He decided to have a "shoot out" with two vintage Count Basie recordings. I will let Gary tell the full story.
Imaging was 3d
Dynamics were explosive without being loud.
Bass was deep and tight.
Tonal balance was very good.
If the speaker has flaws they are errors of omission. I did not hear any faults.
At $120k it definitely relquires a commitment. If you are in the market give it a listen.

O

Many thanks Greg. I'm glad that you like the Tributes. To be a real tribute to Arnie, I had to be sure that I really do my best work. I'm glad that you came back on Saturday because Friday, the system wasn't tuned particularly well. The room next to ours turned out to be the high voltage electrical room of the hotel - and we had initially set up the turntable on the wall next to it. A nightmare of buzzes, hum and hiss.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing