Gain structure in MCH system

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am in the process of ripping SACDs and Concert BluRays for playback over my HTPC running Dirac Live (lynx out into 3 x 2 channel DACs). Somehow many of the SACD rips have pretty low peak volume level. Using Dirac filters also cuts some gain. So now I am finding my maximum volume level I can play it is constrained by my lowest sensitivity speaker, which is my center channel. This is my Linn Klimax 340A, which plays about 10db lower than my surrounds and mains. I find myself playing at 0dB, and I can no longer jack up the volume of some live recordings to the level I want to listen to sometimes. My estimation is I am short about 10dB. On option is to get a more sensitive center channel (e.g. B&W HTM2 Diamond, which is 90dB). However, this means swapping out gear, adding an amp (the Linn is active), and potential issues matching the diamond tweeter sound with the ribbons in my mains (Evolution Acoustics MM3). Other option is to add a tube buffer stage with 10dB gain to the signal path of my center channel. I can have one custom build, or buy one.

Any other thoughts on ways to get my volume level up for MCH playback.
Any suggestion on the tube buffer with 10dB gain? Does such a device exists or should I have it custom build.
Anyone knows of a center channel at least 90dB sensitive that would potentially integrate well with the MM3s

evolution acoustics sells its own center channel, but it is 87dB and would not solve my (lack of) gain problem.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Do you have room to use just a MM3 center section or with one MM sub on the bottom? If so that would be the best blend.

You could also use a higher gain amp on just the center channel.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Do you have room to use just a MM3 center section or with one MM sub on the bottom? If so that would be the best blend.

You could also use a higher gain amp on just the center channel.

I don't have room for that. My center channel is active so only gain I can create is inserting a linestage (or buffer) with gain between it and the DAC (I'm using the NAD M51 to drive it now).

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
DIRAC's default setting is -8db. If you use windows, you can adjust the gain setting in DIRAC higher until the clipping light starts blinking. I've tried this and can set mine to -4db for almost all music. The only music that still clips is Awolnation. :D I think that might have more to do with the the recording than my system's gain matching. A good test track to check for clipping is something with really loud peaks. You won't get the 10db you need, but it could help out a little, I think.

Michael.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
DIRAC's default setting is -8db. If you use windows, you can adjust the gain setting in DIRAC higher until the clipping light starts blinking. I've tried this and can set mine to -4db for almost all music. The only music that still clips is Awolnation. :D I think that might have more to do with the the recording than my system's gain matching. A good test track to check for clipping is something with really loud peaks. You won't get the 10db you need, but it could help out a little, I think.

Michael.

Adding 5dB or so would help a lot. Where do I adjust the gain setting for Dirac? I can probably add at least that because all my 2 channel stuff it substantially louder than MCH, but my 2 channel runs on a different server with a different instance of Dirac.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Adding 5dB or so would help a lot. Where do I adjust the gain setting for Dirac? I can probably add at least that because all my 2 channel stuff it substantially louder than MCH, but my 2 channel runs on a different server with a different instance of Dirac.

The arrow points to the clipping light that you need to watch while you are adjusting the attenuation setting. To adjust the attenuation, you click on the sideways triangle on the left bar and it will take you to the attenuation setting.

DIRAC clip light.jpg

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
In my MCH setup, one (reference) channel is at 0dB and the other are all below zero. Not sure how I can jack up the volume - I cannot go above 0dB.
DIRAC takes 8db off of everything that goes out of your computer. You can recover some of that attenuation if you do what I said. In what component is your center set to 0db?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
DIRAC takes 8db off of everything that goes out of your computer. You can recover some of that attenuation if you do what I said. In what component is your center set to 0db?

My center is not set to 0dB in any component. I calibrated with the center volume higher than the other channels, so my 0dB channel is my Front right. What do you mean by "component". This should be pretty straightforward, but I have no idea how to get to the -8dB setting.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm still looking into getting a balanced tube buffer stage with gain to get +6-10dB on my center channel. However, all of the shelf products are single ended stereo. I was thinking of just building an XLR to 2 x RCA adaptor on the input, and a 2 x RCA to XLR adaptor on the output and run one mono balanced channel through the stereo single ended unit.

These guys appear to be making something that would serve my needs very well:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/zstage.html

Any comments on this approach. First and foremost, can this be done as I am proposing?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing