Full Limited Edition Aries Cerat System Build and World Exclusive LEGEND Series!

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Hi all,
I wanted to reach out to all whom I had the opportunity to meet in Munich. The joy, verve and passion of those in audio is such a wonder. Thankyou to everyone I was blessed enough to encounter. I wanted to add a couple of the most recent photos of my room including David K’s Nothing racks. The center rack and components weigh B3BB2754-A813-47CD-9FCC-7ECD9E154190.jpeg 3D348545-7A44-47FA-8A67-196B040B3E1C.jpeg over a ton. Sometimes building a system is like wondering in the wilderness. I made some expensive errors in modifying my room but recently I have encountered several possible solutions to my problem that do not require an entire rebuild.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hi all,
I wanted to reach out to all whom I had the opportunity to meet in Munich. The joy, verve and passion of those in audio is such a wonder. Thankyou to everyone I was blessed enough to encounter. I wanted to add a couple of the most recent photos of my room including David K’s Nothing racks. The center rack and components weigh View attachment 53174 View attachment 53175 over a ton. Sometimes building a system is like wondering in the wilderness. I made some expensive errors in modifying my room but recently I have encountered several possible solutions to my problem that do not require an entire rebuild.

Hello Billy, I am liking what I am seeing, congratulations on the room. Room Acoustics is a whole science in itself, some of it is low tech, most of it high tech. It is combining both element to solve each individual issue. And keep going, the small things make a big difference.

BTW have you any bigger photos? I wanted to share with my Spanish buddies.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
They will be shipping out next week. Rather than use the Airtight the old style Conceros are serving as a suitable replacement until they arrive

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What's going on w Billy's room? Last I saw he had a great view out of acres of glass behind the Symphonias.

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Hi
Yes, I had a lovely wall of glass with a pretty view of the yard and lots of light. Sadly, I followed the advise of an acoustics consultant(Sound Sense) and put in a ceiling that was theoretically going to allow the attic to act as a bass trap and provide carpet like absorption of mid and high frequency. After months of delicate construction and considerable cost, we discovered the ceiling made the acoustics very poor. They preferentially absorbed treble so 8,000hz and up rolled off strongly. Midrange was variable with 1,000hz peaks, 3,000hz valley etc. Bass boom around 150hz to 250 hz was unaffected-no bass trap.
When David K came to set up the turntable and racks, he suggested we add diffusion to the back wall to compensate. So my crew built the diffusion panels via David’s instruction that you see. It does sound better. Unfortunately I have this scenario of bad ceiling and massive compensation with diffusion. Sitting toward the back of the room is best. And my pretty open light space looks like a speaker testing facility. I am now deciding where I want to go with the room. Ughhhh.
Reposted photos at higher resolution but I can’t upload with normal resolution.

Attachments

• D067C7EB-23FE-4F53-AE2C-88BAF3FCA72D.jpeg
    D067C7EB-23FE-4F53-AE2C-88BAF3FCA72D.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20D27294-B914-40CD-BEE0-9270FD4AF884.jpeg
    20D27294-B914-40CD-BEE0-9270FD4AF884.jpeg
    881.4 KB · Views: 46

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi
Yes, I had a lovely wall of glass with a pretty view of the yard and lots of light. Sadly, I followed the advise of an acoustics consultant(Sound Sense) and put in a ceiling that was theoretically going to allow the attic to act as a bass trap and provide carpet like absorption of mid and high frequency. After months of delicate construction and considerable cost, we discovered the ceiling made the acoustics very poor. They preferentially absorbed treble so 8,000hz and up rolled off strongly. Midrange was variable with 1,000hz peaks, 3,000hz valley etc. Bass boom around 150hz to 250 hz was unaffected-no bass trap.
When David K came to set up the turntable and racks, he suggested we add diffusion to the back wall to compensate. So my crew built the diffusion panels via David’s instruction that you see. It does sound better. Unfortunately I have this scenario of bad ceiling and massive compensation with diffusion. Sitting toward the back of the room is best. And my pretty open light space looks like a speaker testing facility. I am now deciding where I want to go with the room. Ughhhh.
Reposted photos at higher resolution but I can’t upload with normal resolution.
Try removing half the panels, it shouldn't affect the sound much and you'll have a view too.
david

Reactions: flyer and NorthStar

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hi Billy,

Nice to read that it is all coming together for you. Sorry that you are having additional room issues.

Regarding the room...”Stop Right There :)” if you do not mind, I would suggest that you contact Jim Smith (Get Better Sound-Room Play) and have him come out to take look at your room...he’s the best and will help you separate the “noise” from all of the disparate suggestions. He will be the quickest real help on getting you a workable baseline and a solid solution mix.

Otherwise, it is sort of like a merry-go-round medicating cascading side effects.

Kind Regards,
Alan

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Read what exactly? System video is not quiet at all so I assumed he hit the play button and didn't unmute it or turn the volume up on the video itself

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Thats more specific. Tried playing through a device that is not connected to my FB account and I also get no audio. Will try downloading it if I can and post later

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing