For what it's Worth-Tesla

Reactions: Bruce B
When i was researching ev, the scuttlebutt was, when the battery goes dead ,it's a boat anchor.
If you read the entire article, the reason Tesla 's used car prices are dropping is because they have been constantly lowering the prices of their new models so that people would qualify for the investment tax credit . Battery packs will certainly last 10 or more years and are replaceable

Tesla price cuts​

The biggest reason behind the fall in used EV prices? Tesla’s (TSLA) massive price cuts earlier this year put extreme downward pressure on the used EV market, which is dominated by Tesla EVs like the Model 3 and Model Y.

“With Tesla cutting prices on new models its used EV values have tumbled. And because Tesla makes up the bulk of the used EV market the dramatic drop in Tesla values has impacted the entire category,” Brauer said.

Reactions: Gardener
It is clear I am biassd against Tesla.
I think the reason prices fall is largely irrelevant. The issue is net cost. I have owned cars for eight years and sold them at a good price. The question is will the cost of a new battery make buyers war?
In ten years I suspect there substantial progress in battery quality. Maybe even a relative decline in price..
Just out of curiosity what is the warranty period on ev Hatteras.
Note at least in this post I did not single out Tesla. I commented on the ev industry as a whole.

In the interest of fairness a cursory Google search reveals batterywarranty 8-10 years and around ¹00k miles. Replacement cost 0f $5-15k and up.
Generally speaking, battery warranty are prorated.
GIven government incentives, it may not be a bad deal.
For a used car buyer that balloon payment may be a non-starter.

Last edited:
For what its worth I was at a local Porsche dealer buying a new SUV and while there someone came in asking about trading in their 4 year old Tesla towards a new Porsche and the sales manager told him that at 4 years old they wouldn't be interested in the car. I thought that was telling.

George

For what its worth I was at a local Porsche dealer buying a new SUV and while there someone came in asking about trading in their 4 year old Tesla towards a new Porsche and the sales manager told him that at 4 years old they wouldn't be interested in the car. I thought that was telling.

George
i live in a guarded gate community of about 3000. Every second car here is a Tesla. I think your story George is more anecdotal than telling. Here in California there are Tesla models on the road from their first release. They probably didn’t want it because the 4 year old Tesla would likely out run any and all of their Porsches. It’s tough to grasp but if you want speed you buy Tesla. If you want Vroom buy a Porsche. ;) I recall several years ago I was at a red light in my 508bph MBZ SL AMG It was a model S. He looked over and smiled and winked at me as to let’s get it on.Light turned green. We both gunned it and he was so far ahead of me in a blink of an eye that I just gave up

Indeed when I was in California Tesla was ubiquitous. That may have something to do with air pollution and government s7bs9fies

Where I live Tesla remains a relatively rare sighting
.Steve is right about speed. Maybe electric will come to F1.
They just need a battery that would last the entire tace.

My lord my M3 is 5 years old. Battery loss about 5%. Not even an issue for me. The price of all used cars skyrocketed during Covid. They went up unreasonably high and are coming down as they should. The Tesla battery warranty is quite good. Gee, how many ICE owners keep their cars for 100,000 miles? Folks here and elsewhere are looking for any tiny thing and blowing them way out of proportion. Why? Who knows. And on a forum devoted mostly to high end expensive audio which folks “Upgrade” all the time. Sorry but this is such utter tosh. You may want to go out and test drive a Tesla, or a Lucid, Taycan, MachE and see for yourself. You may find you love it, or not.

I recall several years ago I was at a red light in my 508bph MBZ SL AMG It was a model S. He looked over and smiled and winked at me as to let’s get it on.Light turned green. We both gunned it and he was so far ahead of me in a blink of an eye that I just gave up

I have now reconsidered addressing my immediate thought upon reading the quote below.

Quite seriously began wondering what your current Tesla shows as the most G's you have pulled in straight line acceleration / deceleration.

I understand that completely however Ron I can promise you that if you in your MBZ and a Tesla we’re going to a drag strip you will be left in the dust of the Tesla

Folks here and elsewhere are looking for any tiny thing and blowing them way out of proportion. Why? Who knows.

Cars are very emotional and purchases are based mostly on feelings.

When I was 19 I was one of the top electronics salesmen at a nationwide dep't store, I came in 3rd in a sales contest with thousands of entries, would've won a trip to Hawaii or something if I'd won. Later, I tried selling cars and it took me a while to adjust. Lets just say there's a good reason many dealers hire salespeople who know nothing about cars whatsoever... it makes it much easier in some ways. Car guys (or gals) offer up too much information and if that info conflicts with what the customer feels, they may buy elsewhere. With electronics it was the opposite, I could sell on the basis of my photographic memory of facts and specs, and my ability to do good demos of the products. The same strategy is a complete failure for car sales.

Very, very few people can keep their feelings out of the EV vs ICE issue. Which is greener? it depends on the cars in question and how/where they are used. There's pros and cons as far as environmental impacts and carbon emissions that make direct comparison difficult. Which has better performance? For acceleration, launching goes to EVs, 0-60 generally goes to EVs with some exceptions. EVs start to lose to many ICE cars between the 1/4 and 1/2 mile mark. EVs can be fast at autocross but only some models like the M3P, and they need suspension upgrades badly. My Camaro has outrun high-end Taycans at autocross by a wide margin, and yes I have proof. Taycans are very heavy. Higher end sports cars like Cayman/Boxster and even Toyota 86 and Mazda Miata have far greater potential. Track? EVs can be fast but have very limited range, dedicated track cars like Porsche GT cars or Mercedes Black Series, C8 Z06 Vettes and even Camaro ZL1 1LE are in a whole 'nother league.

In any case, EV makes more sense as a city car or even an ebike. One Tesla Model S has enough battery and motor to make a few Nissan Leafs or 100 ebikes. Currently a plug-in hybrid with a shorter EV only range makes the most sense, and this is also Toyota's and Volvo's view on the issue, I agree with them. A friend has a Volvo hybrid, it has a short EV range but it works great for typical shorter trips without using the gas motor, but the gas motor and hybrid system get very good fuel economy for longer trips, and it has a much smaller battery and motors vs full EVs. Right now if you want the greenest solution, for most people a plug-in hybrid is the car to buy.

Here's top 25 results at a recent autocross, the Taycan driver was skilled... I came in 5th :)

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
i live in a guarded gate community of about 3000. Every second car here is a Tesla. I think your story George is more anecdotal than telling. Here in California there are Tesla models on the road from their first release. They probably didn’t want it because the 4 year old Tesla would likely out run any and all of their Porsches. It’s tough to grasp but if you want speed you buy Tesla. If you want Vroom buy a Porsche. ;) I recall several years ago I was at a red light in my 508bph MBZ SL AMG It was a model S. He looked over and smiled and winked at me as to let’s get it on.Light turned green. We both gunned it and he was so far ahead of me in a blink of an eye that I just gave up
I live in a community of about 3000 homes also but in Dallas Texas. Even though it’s a very nice community I’d say about 3/100 are Tesla here and I might be generous. :cool: I think a lot of this depends on where you live for sure and California is certainly driving folks towards electric although I think in Southern Cal I’ll be interested in seeing how the electric grid there supports even an overall 20% adoption of electric vehicle because overall no state is even close to that number. We have our issues with the power grid in Texas also so I’m only calling that out before all of the govt’s grand plans can be achieved there is much work to be done not the least of which is the energy grid which is no where near capable of supporting the electric vehicle conversion plans that the gov’t has outlined.

As far as speed goes you are correct in 0-60 but I think we all know what happens on a long and winding road course. So if you want to drag race 0-60 Tesla wins. Most anything else that requires actual driving will go to any number of high performance great handling cars which could be either electric or ICE … just not a Tesla! :)

Of the folks I know that have bought Tesla’s … many of them are planning on going back to ICE for their next vehicle citing things such as range in cold weather( yes we have a little cold weather here in North Texas), Lack of remote charging stations (I saw a Tesla on the road to monument valley last year and they were on the side of the road with their honda generator charging the car along with their 10+ gas cans in the back of the SUV), not as green as they thought, etc. I don’t dislike electrics … heck the new hummer would be very interesting as an off-road vehicle to me except for the fact that I can’t get it anywhere I want to go to offroading without the gas can/generator method which is just silly to me.

I’ll be very curious in the years ahead to see how EV’s evolve, how the charging infrastructure changes and how the power grid evolves to handle this in a green way otherwise what’s the use right? Does Hydrogen become a real thing someday especially in heavy commercial fleets? Early days for sure but for me and how I use a vehicle an EV just doesn’t make sense yet. Not matter what the govt says…

George

Reactions: Alrainbow
I live in a community of about 3000 homes also but in Dallas Texas. Even though it’s a very nice community I’d say about 3/100 are Tesla here and I might be generous. :cool: I think a lot of this depends on where you live for sure and California is certainly driving folks towards electric although I think in Southern Cal I’ll be interested in seeing how the electric grid there supports even an overall 20% adoption of electric vehicle because overall no state is even close to that number. We have our issues with the power grid in Texas also so I’m only calling that out before all of the govt’s grand plans can be achieved there is much work to be done not the least of which is the energy grid which is no where near capable of supporting the electric vehicle conversion plans that the gov’t has outlined.

As far as speed goes you are correct in 0-60 but I think we all know what happens on a long and winding road course. So if you want to drag race 0-60 Tesla wins. Most anything else that requires actual driving will go to any number of high performance great handling cars which could be either electric or ICE … just not a Tesla! :)

Of the folks I know that have bought Tesla’s … many of them are planning on going back to ICE for their next vehicle citing things such as range in cold weather( yes we have a little cold weather here in North Texas), Lack of remote charging stations (I saw a Tesla on the road to monument valley last year and they were on the side of the road with their honda generator charging the car along with their 10+ gas cans in the back of the SUV), not as green as they thought, etc. I don’t dislike electrics … heck the new hummer would be very interesting as an off-road vehicle to me except for the fact that I can’t get it anywhere I want to go to offroading without the gas can/generator method which is just silly to me.

I’ll be very curious in the years ahead to see how EV’s evolve, how the charging infrastructure changes and how the power grid evolves to handle this in a green way otherwise what’s the use right? Does Hydrogen become a real thing someday especially in heavy commercial fleets? Early days for sure but for me and how I use a vehicle an EV just doesn’t make sense yet. Not matter what the govt says…

George
In south orange county where I live there seems to be Tesla Superchargers on every corner. All of them are solar powered so nothing but profit for Tesla.

I must say reading this topic is like reading posts here on MQA, Roon, Streaming vs. Vinyl, or anything someone doesn't own/like. EVs just like ICE cars will continue to get better over time. I remember growing up where car companies would advertise 100K mile warranty like that was a major thing. Now who thinks their car engine/transmission won't last 100K. I'm sure EV batteries will follow suit as technology progress.

Last edited:
As far as speed goes you are correct in 0-60 but I think we all know what happens on a long and winding road course. So if you want to drag race 0-60 Tesla wins. Most anything else that requires actual driving will go to any number of high performance great handling cars which could be either electric or ICE … just not a Tesla!
Not so certain I agree with you and BTW I agree with everything DaveC posted

How about this ....would that change your mind

• Love
Reactions: christoph
A pie graph of the most popular EV models in Midland County.

for Texas

Interesting point about Tesla and Texas. Even though Tesla has a gigafactory in Austin that is making Model Y’s and the first Cybertruck has come off the line, if you live in Texas and order the Y or any other Tesla, you can’t take delivery of the car IN Texas because of the dealership laws. Tesla has never had dealerships and that antiquated law needs to be repealed for new companies like Tesla and Rivian.

Interesting point about Tesla and Texas. Even though Tesla has a gigafactory in Austin that is making Model Y’s and the first Cybertruck has come off the line, if you live in Texas and order the Y or any other Tesla, you can’t take delivery of the car IN Texas because of the dealership laws. Tesla has never had dealerships and that antiquated law needs to be repealed for new companies like Tesla and Rivian.
so much for free trade.

Not so certain I agree with you and BTW I agree with everything DaveC posted

How about this ....would that change your mind

Once they are actually delivering this car then it might change my mind but I'll reserve any opinion on this specific car until that time. The only thing that I can say is that it is my belief that if I buy a new Porsche 911 GT RS (similar price to the limited edition Roadster) then that car will last a lifetime.(At least at my age! LOL) The Roadster will still need a battery replacement far before I need to replace the engine in the Porsche and I can fill up the Porsche anywhere I want. At least in my part of the world charging stations out on the highway aren't that common and of the ones that are there many are powered by diesel generators so that makes zero sense.

There is also the environmental impact of the battery production of all EV's that folks don't like to talk about. For me ... not sure EV's are all that great today ... years down the road they will get better and charging more available but we are still a long way from that being everyday reality. So actually even with the Roadster coming soon ... I'll stick with my 911 and enjoy! If you enjoy the EV experience then that's great also! Choice is great!

George

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing