For what it's Worth-Tesla

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Epic short squeeze- perfect lesson of why shorting high % short float stocks is a bad idea. At least define risk with options.

Stock price alleviates some balance sheet pressure due to the convertibles.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
So Tesla has recovered from Elon’s musing about taking it private. What I wonder is how many years they will produce a car before updating its design/appearance.

Reactions: PeterA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So Tesla has recovered from Elon’s musing about taking it private. What I wonder is how many years they will produce a car before updating its design/appearance.

I agree in theory Bud but there are many vehicles which have not changed body style

The VW Beetle comes to mind

People who drive these cars don't look at it the same way you do.

Prius hasn't changed either

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Unlike the other cars I've had, Tesla is constantly upgrading the operation of the car, making it perform better or making the controls easier to use with more features, all for no added charge. The outside doesn't change much, but the car is constantly being improved.

Larry

Steve Williams

Unlike the other cars I've had, Tesla is constantly upgrading the operation of the car, making it perform better or making the controls easier to use with more features, all for no added charge. The outside doesn't change much, but the car is constantly being improved.

Larry
Thats what it's all about Larry.

Tesla users don't care about changing body styles but rather a more efficient and practical car

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Larry

another perspective might be that Tesla is completing the full development of the car after the customer received it. which is how a rookie manufacturer would have to do it.

btw; nothing at all wrong about that.

every vehicle gets product updates as it goes along based on that model getting user feedback and miles. it's normal.

Steve Williams

another perspective might be that Tesla is completing the full development of the car after the customer received it. which is how a rookie manufacturer would have to do it.

btw; nothing at all wrong about that.

every vehicle gets product updates as it goes along based on that model getting user feedback and miles. it's normal.

you may be correct BUT all of Tesla's updates are done electronically over the internet.You wake up in the morning to find an update on your car. Sort of like Emile doing this for his Extreme. I doubt if any other car manufacturer is doing that

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
you may be correct BUT all of Tesla's updates are done electronically over the internet.You wake up in the morning to find an update on your car. Sort of like Emile doing this for his Extreme. I doubt if any other car manufacturer is doing that

most current model Honda's have telemetrics which do that too, as well as remind customers for service. they only need to opt into that service. some of those updates only happen when they encounter the wifi of a Honda dealership on the service lane. this is the direction of things even at the entry level of cars.

no doubt that Tesla has this part more deeply into the systems than Honda. OTOH the average MSRP is maybe 66% higher. and Honda's are not tethered either. they can roam freely.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Most modern cars have software that can be updated, but an ICE motor's operation can't be changed so easily as it's emissions certified.

I am a bit jealous that my friend's M3 Performance just got upgraded from 0-60 in 3.2 to 2.9 seconds, that's ridiculously fast!

Steve Williams

Keith
I disagree. All stocks rise and fall. When you have well over $200 per share profit I see no harm in selling some high and putting it in reserve to buy again if and when the stock falls

can you honestly say that no stock falls? When there is such a rise in the stock I think it is a healthy market decision to take some profit off the table but to say they are betting it’s going to fall makes zero sense to me.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
most current model Honda's have telemetrics which do that too, as well as remind customers for service. they only need to opt into that service. some of those updates only happen when they encounter the wifi of a Honda dealership on the service lane. this is the direction of things even at the entry level of cars.

no doubt that Tesla has this part more deeply into the systems than Honda. OTOH the average MSRP is maybe 66% higher. and Honda's are not tethered either. they can roam freely.

Really Mike? just about all aspects of a Tesla can be updated and improved via software. And in my garage. A Honda? No. Our S and 3 are not tethered at all either. Jeez....

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Most modern cars have software that can be updated, but an ICE motor's operation can't be changed so easily as it's emissions certified.

a Honda has a number of CPU's running various systems all of which are just computers with software. including and especially concerning emissions.

that software can be changed very easily. OTOH the intention of Honda is not to have an unstable situation where stuff is always needing changing.

there are cool things about all electric cars....i agree.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Really Mike? just about all aspects of a Tesla can be updated and improved via software. And in my garage. A Honda? No. Our S and 3 are not tethered at all either. Jeez....

completely tethered. the user must think through where they go. have a plan.

not so with a Honda ICE. at all.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Gee, I guess no one had ever run out of gas in the middle of no where. Jeez. Also, since when is the ability to update the performance of a car via over the air updates mean that it is unstable? My Lord. i better never update my DAC. I can’t be listening to an unstable DAC. EVs are the future. Get used to it.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Gee, I guess no one had ever run out of gas in the middle of no where. Jeez. Also, since when is the ability to update the performance of a car via over the air updates mean that it is unstable? My Lord. i better never update my DAC. I can’t be listening to an unstable DAC. EVs are the future. Get used to it.

i did not infer that updates to a Tesla means it's unstable. only that Honda has to dumb down it's systems to a redundancy with their volume and expectations of customers. it's not as techie as a Tesla, and not meant to be.

read my posts, i'm not dissing Tesla at all. only that Honda uses the same systems and can do what they choose or need to do with them.

as far as running out of gas, that's the cool thing, there are actually gas stations everywhere, you can count on it. i'm sure that is not a surprise.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
So are electrical outlets. In a few years, the same will be true with superchargers, either Tesla, Electrify America and others. Rome was not built in a day. It took a good while for gas stations to show up too at the turn of the 20th Century.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing