For what it's Worth-Tesla

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Model X in California seems to be the wife's car. I love tesla but the Model X looks like an egg and the gull wing rear doors are a conversation piece but try opening them in tight spaces.

I wonder if this is why they released the model Y which is an SUV that looks like a model 3 with more height and all 4 doors open outwards not upwards

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Model X in California seems to be the wife's car. I love tesla but the Model X looks like an egg and the gull wing rear doors are a conversation piece but try opening them in tight spaces.

I wonder if this is why they released the model Y which is an SUV that looks like a model 3 with more height and all 4 doors open outwards not upwards
I'm with you in this.
For me the Model S is very elegant and yet sporty so I would go for the S but my wife needs/wants to tow a horse trailer and the X can tow 2.25 tons and the Model Y isn't yet available in Europe and can only tow 1.5 or 1.6 tons...

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Can you elaborate?
My wife fancies a Model X :oops:
I'm sure they're not all duds but here's the list
1. Pigeon doors would close without warning hitting people on the head or almost crushing my daughter. Same with the boot (trunk).
2. Sensors on them don't always work and they would hit carpark ceilings
3. Charger changed 4 times
4. Car would turn off whilst driving. You have gas but no lights, no iPad display, no dashboard.
5. Car would shut off completely and be non responsive for up to 15 minutes often at junctions or at traffic lights.
6. Car would reverse when in D. We smashed our bumper twice because of this. Luckily there was noone behind.
6. Fit and finish pretty typical of US cars but miles away from European or Japanese quality or other cars of this price range.
7. Customer service said there was nothing they could do except reset as lots had the same problems.

Its a great idea and drove very nice but as the issues got more frequent I gave up after 12 months of ownership.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Gee, we have had an S for 3 years and a 3 for two with no issues. Fit and finish excellent too. They have lemon laws for a reason and they predate Tesla. Don’t even get me started on our old Benz. Gave it to my son after 80,000 miles and it literally fell apart. Schiit happens with every OEM.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm with you in this.
For me the Model S is very elegant and yet sporty so I would go for the S but my wife needs/wants to tow a horse carrier and the X can tow 2.25 tons and the Model Y isn't yet available in Europe and can only tow 1.5 or 1.6 tons...
The model Y is all over where I live as more and more are getting the Y rather than the X. The Y looks like a 3 on steroids

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The unintended acceleration issues have put me off Tesla. I know the NTSB has an open investigation. I was considering a Tesla but they are off the list. I know many owners are happy with their Tesla's.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
If there are unintended acceleration issues with Teslas, they are very likely driver issues and then trying to blame the car. I don’t see how they are possible given how the car works. I recall supposed unintended acceleration issues a few years back with Toyota that were all found to be driver errors.

Reactions: Levitator

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'm sure they're not all duds but here's the list
1. Pigeon doors would close without warning hitting people on the head or almost crushing my daughter. Same with the boot (trunk).
2. Sensors on them don't always work and they would hit carpark ceilings
3. Charger changed 4 times
4. Car would turn off whilst driving. You have gas but no lights, no iPad display, no dashboard.
5. Car would shut off completely and be non responsive for up to 15 minutes often at junctions or at traffic lights.
6. Car would reverse when in D. We smashed our bumper twice because of this. Luckily there was noone behind.
6. Fit and finish pretty typical of US cars but miles away from European or Japanese quality or other cars of this price range.
7. Customer service said there was nothing they could do except reset as lots had the same problems.

Its a great idea and drove very nice but as the issues got more frequent I gave up after 12 months of ownership.

Thanks for your "list of horror", Howie
That sounds absolutely horrible and intolerable :eek:o_O

When was that? I sure hope quality has improved a LOT in the meantime :rolleyes:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks for your "list of horror", Howie
That sounds absolutely horrible and intolerable :eek:o_O

When was that? I sure hope quality has improved a LOT in the meantime :rolleyes:
I think i sold it in 2018? Can't quite remember. I might try it again a few years after the grubbins are ironed out. Of course the list is not a daily occurrence and some of the things (like fit and finish) are to be expected (my Jeep Wrangler is no better) but turning off when you are leaving a car park and therefore blocking the exit for everyone was intolerable...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The model Y is all over where I live as more and more are getting the Y rather than the X. The Y looks like a 3 on steroids
Just checked on the Tesla website for Europe.
It says "production start is envisoned for 2021" :rolleyes:
Not "delivery target" but rather "we hope that maybe we can start producing sometime in (late) 2021".

Experience with the Tesla's Model 3 teaches us that this means "delivery date for the Model Y in Europe is hopefully late 2022" :p

I would much prefer the Model Y for my wife ;)
The Gullwing doors are an unnecessary gimmick, destined to fail rather sooner than later :eek:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Just checked on the Tesla website for Europe.
It says "production start is envisoned for 2021" :rolleyes:
Not "delivery target" but rather "we hope that maybe we can start producing sometime in (late) 2021".

Experience with the Tesla's Model 3 teaches us that this means "delivery date for the Model Y in Europe is hopefully late 2022" :p

I would much prefer the Model Y for my wife ;)
The Gullwing doors are an unnecessary gimmick, destined to fail rather sooner than later :eek:
My friend's Model 3 in the UK had to be sent back twice as the panel gaps were wide enough to put your finger in.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I think i sold it in 2018? Can't quite remember. I might try it again a few years after the grubbins are ironed out. Of course the list is not a daily occurrence and some of the things (like fit and finish) are to be expected (my Jeep Wrangler is no better) but turning off when you are leaving a car park and therefore blocking the exit for everyone was intolerable...

Thanks again for your first hand experience.
For me, a car has to be reliable first and formost!!

Reactions: dan31 and howiebrou

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Given how quickly Giga Berlin is going up, I would expect Model 3’s and Y’s to start production there by Q3 2021. look how fast production started in China. Expect the best fit and finish out of Berlin as well especially with the new paint facility. By all accounts, the Chinese Made 3’s have less fit and finish issues than those made in Fremont.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Given how quickly Giga Berlin is going up, I would expect Model 3’s and Y’s to start production there by Q3 2021. look how fast production started in China. Expect the best fit and finish out of Berlin as well especially with the new paint facility. By all accounts, the Chinese Made 3’s have less fit and finish issues than those made in Fremont.

No more formal objections in Berlin?
That's great news :cool:

I would expect cars built in Germany to be hopefully at least the quality of those built in China :p

Reactions: Steve Williams

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
No more formal objections in Berlin?
That's great news :cool:

I would expect cars built in Germany to be hopefully at least the quality of those built in China :p
You would be surprised how good the Mercedes S Class built in China are compared to German built ones. By that I mean that I can see little to no difference. Our Teslas over here are all US built, certainly mine was.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Congrats astrotoy. We bought Tesla stock at $211. Wish we bought more. My wife has an S, I have a 3 and my son a SR+. We checked with Tesla about solar but it didn’t work financially due to our terrain. Marginal sun in summer but would generate little in the fall and spring and nada in winter. Even the Tesla engineer in Nevada said don’t bother. Was looking forward to the shareholder and battery day event but will watch it on line this year.

Joe, congrats on your ten bagger today!! Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing