For what it's Worth-Tesla

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I have yet to know anyone who has had to replace the battery pack. The 12v battery in some models has been shown to fail when the car is not driven frequently or long enough and the 12. V battery doesn't charge from the battery pack and the 12v battery can fail.

Tesla says never to charge above 80 ( now 90%) and never let it fall below 20%. My son's model 3 has almost 90,000 miles. He almost always charges with 3-5% battery charge left and he was an initial buyer of the Model3 and received free lifetime supercharger from Tesla. They recommend against always charging via super charger as it is DC straight into the battery pack which also can cause the battery pack to fail. Well after almost 90,000 miles and charged several times per week there has not been one change in his battery pack. According to what is seen on his screen, his battery's health is perfect
The YouTube video was not talking about the 12V battery. Also I would hope no one has a battery issue at 90K miles. If they do I would chalk that up to bad luck.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Np. I don't like Elon because if what he has actually done. I prefer not to give him any of my money. That has relatively little to do with the merits of an ev in general or Tesla specifically.
What exactly has he done? Besides moving Tesla out of California and buying Twitter? Those things really bother you? Or is it his political and social views? Do you boycott everyone that doesn't see things through your lens?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would be happy to discuss this with you. It appears you are not ignorant of things his money supports. If you are I would be happy to direct you to some resources via pm. Yes, I do have a filter for some issues. For example, I find flat earth arguments amusing. They don't hurt anyone. However, I draw the line at giving someone a grant to study it.
I feel I am close to violating the rule against discussing politics.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I would be happy to discuss this with you. It appears you are not ignorant of things his money supports. If you are I would be happy to direct you to some resources via pm. Yes, I do have a filter for some issues. For example, I find flat earth arguments amusing. They don't hurt anyone. However, I draw the line at giving someone a grant to study it.
I feel I am close to violating the rule against discussing politics.
Sure PM me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The obvious joke is they don't get stolen because nobody wants them. ;)
Let's assume the motive is profit and dig a little deeper.
First there has to be a demand either for the entire car or the parts.
Given time anything can be stolen. It takes time to a remove an airbag or catalytic converter. It also requires some knowledge.
One would think the demand would be for the battery or air bag.
Cameras don't seem to be that much of a deterrent. Consider "porch pirates."
Demand and expertise may increase.
Let's hope the numbers stay low.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Read the piece. Frankly not worth my time.
...And yet here you are.
I read an article and viewed 3 you tube videos. That's hardly definitive research. Please provide a link to anything you want me to consider.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I drive three Teslas. There are tons of them on the road. I am more afraid of your typical pick up driver who drive way too fast than a Tesla driver. Elon bad, Tesla bad, I get it.

• Haha
Reactions: morricab

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
The obvious joke is they don't get stolen because nobody wants them. ;)
Let's assume the motive is profit and dig a little deeper.
First there has to be a demand either for the entire car or the parts.
Given time anything can be stolen. It takes time to a remove an airbag or catalytic converter. It also requires some knowledge.
One would think the demand would be for the battery or air bag.
Cameras don't seem to be that much of a deterrent. Consider "porch pirates."
Demand and expertise may increase.
Let's hope the numbers stay low.
I think it’s a combination of deterrents that make the thieves steer clear of Teslas, the biggest being the built in GPS tracking. Through the app it is possible to set alerts if someone is messing with your car. Plus, there’s always the concern that if the car isn’t sufficiently charged, the perps will be stranded. Heck, I wouldn’t even be surprised if Tesla could remotely disable the vehicle.

It’s absurd that people steer clear of Teslas because they don’t approve of Elon Musk’s behaviour. Michael Jackson was a pedophile. Same with Roman Polanski. Woody Allen married his adopted daughter. The list goes on and on. But I don’t avoid their art. Do you?

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
What's the opinion of Lucid Air as a Tesla alternative?

We are Tesla Model 3 owners, and the Air looks tempting. By review accounts, the build quality is superior to Tesla. Our Model 3's build quality is average at best.

I have no idea of Lucid reliability, or of the charging experience at EV charge points.

Also, the politics of Lucid's Saudi funding is a barrier, but Musk has become likewise.

The only other EV alternatives that intrigue me are Kia and Genesis.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I drive three Teslas. There are tons of them on the road. I am more afraid of your typical pick up driver who drive way too fast than a Tesla driver. Elon bad, Tesla bad, I get it.
we also have 3 teslas in the family so color me biased. No one steals a Tesla because you can find the car instantly with your Tesla app. Plus I have yet to see anyone unlock a Tesla who doesn't have a key . They are truly thief proof.

what we see in California is Tesla vandalism as so many Tesla haters live in California. It is not uncommon to come back to your parked car and find it keyed

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think it’s a combination of deterrents that make the thieves steer clear of Teslas, the biggest being the built in GPS tracking. Through the app it is possible to set alerts if someone is messing with your car. Plus, there’s always the concern that if the car isn’t sufficiently charged, the perps will be stranded. Heck, I wouldn’t even be surprised if Tesla could remotely disable the vehicle.

It’s absurd that people steer clear of Teslas because they don’t approve of Elon Musk’s behaviour. Michael Jackson was a pedophile. Same with Roman Polanski. Woody Allen married his adopted daughter. The list goes on and on. But I don’t avoid their art. Do you?
Perhaps you have heard of Low Jack and On Star.
I have heard of Roman Polanski. I am not familiar with his work. I am a huge Michael Jackson fan. Noone ever proved he was a pedophile. He denied it. That means he thought it was a bad thing. I assure you, if he used his money to provide a platform for people to promote pedophilia, or people who are pedophiliacs or backed politicians who favored pedophilia, I would not buy his products.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have seen a Lucid up close. Not a fan of the looks but it does have a very nice drive chain. Will not be able to use the supercharging network until I think 2025 which is important to me. Looking at Lucid’s financials and their inability to meet very modest targets, I there is no way I would plunk down over $100k for their car. Our new Y has fantastic build quality BTW.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, let's stick with the topic please.

This thread is not about pedophilia, guilt or innocence, social values, Twitter, political views or anything other than Tesla. Thank you. Any further off topic posts will be deleted. Continued posts on the aforementioned might also result in administrative action being taken.

Tom

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Looking at Lucid’s financials and their inability to meet very modest targets, I there is no way I would plunk down over $100k for their car.
I appreciate your point.

Those criticisms were also correctly directed at Tesla in the beginning, and for years after.

As far as I can tell, Lucid's funding is essentially bottomless.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Yes they were which is why we held off on purchasing our first Tesla an S until 2017. By the we were confident that they would make it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing